Aug 08 2011
By: DBL_B_511 Lombax Warrior 123 posts

How Long Does A PS3 Really Last?

28 replies 24713 views Edited Aug 8, 2011

I've had my 120 GB PlayStation 3 Slim for about 2 years now, and I figured, by the time my PS3 croaks, the new PlayStation will probably be out for a few months, probably releasing a PlayStation 4 Slim. My system is still running in mint condition, because I take care of it and vent it most of the time when I'm playing. The average PS3 runs in mint condition for 5 years, and the PS4 will probably be here by then, just in time, for me anyways.

Anyways, telling how long your PS3 lasts for all depends on how you take care of it. Since it has an amazing ventilation system, you won't have over-heating issues. Although PS3's are pretty durable, it's not good to drop it. You can even stand on your PS3, but I don't recommend it if you are over 135 pounds. That's how durable it is. I'd say your PS3 can last a good 6-7 years. Of course, your PS3 runs best when it's 5 years old or under. How long have you had your PS3 and how much space is on it? I have about 77 GB left on it.

Message 1 of 29 (24,713 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
355 posts

Re: How Long Does A PS3 Really Last?

Aug 8, 2011

My CECHE-01 PS3 lasted me about 38 months before it got the YLOD. I then got a CECH-2501 PS3 and the only thing I missed about my fat PS3 is the PS2 backwards compatability. I may get it repaired soon and then sell it for about $250 with a 500GB HDD that I would place in it when i get it repaired. That was despite me taking great care of it.

as12365b Trophy Card
Message 2 of 29 (24,713 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Aug 8, 2011

the first ps3 I had lasted about 4 and a half years it was an 80 gb phat ps3 but some of the internals overheated so we had to get a new one. We now have a 120gb slim and there's about 70 gb left.

connOR77k Trophy Card
Message 3 of 29 (24,713 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Aug 8, 2011

That really depends on how much you take care of It. Excessive heat will lower the lifespan of your PS3, so having good ventilation will make It last for a long time.

Every 1-2 years, I'd always suggest re-applying thermal paste on the CPU/GPU. Because as you use It, the Thermal paste wears out and eventually they will dry out and produce a lot more heat from the chip and causing the YLOD/Overheat. If your comfortable taking apart the PS3, then you can do It yourself. If not, go look for a shop or someone professional to do It for you.

The Optical Drive laser is also another thing that usually causes problems on PlayStation 3 systems. The longer you play, the more the laser will wear out. I'd suggest playing for 4-6 hours and NOT more. If you are, give the system 1 hour or so to rest and start playing again. These lasers are quite expensive, so It's better to NOT stress the laser overtime.

I have a 80 GB PS3 CECHL01 and It lasted for maybe 1.5 years? I didn't buy the system, but I got it from my relative because they are not playing It as much anymore. The laser on It was broken so I decided to play some HDD games until I went to the Philippines on June 18. It was like 4 months with the PS3. And then, while in the Philippines, I went to Greenhills to get the laser replaced and they did. I paid like P3000 for It. In USD, It would be like $70? Then came home and started playing some MW2 and the laser works perfectly as it would before. No freezes what so ever.

The only thing this PS3 needs right now is a new thermal paste. I am not liking the fan speed of the PS3. It gets quite loud when playing games and I don't like It. It's on a 50% chance on getting a YLOD, so I'm careful on using the PS3.

Again, this really comes down on how much you take care of the PS3. Remember, these things will break down one day, but you can always lower the chance of failure by taking care of It.

Message 4 of 29 (24,713 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
123 posts

Aug 8, 2011

Slims are actually more reliable and durable, so expect maybe about 6 years.

Message 5 of 29 (24,713 Views)
Lombax Warrior
115 posts

Aug 8, 2011

My 60 GB launch PS3 is still running perfectly fine and I'm doing full time PS2 BC gaming with it. I have also a perfectly running 80 GB BC PS3. My secret? Changing thermal paste, changing power supply for an APS-231 model, and cleaning dust inside them. Credit to Logical_Dolphin in this forum of course for this solution. So it can last a pretty long time for some of us.

My consoles:
2 CECHA01 60 GB BC launch PS3 (with 500 GB HDD), APS-231 PSU, Arctic Cooling MX-2 TP
CECHE01 80 GB BC PS3 (with 500 GB HDD), APS-231 PSU, Arctic Cooling MX-2 TP
Message 6 of 29 (24,714 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
450 posts

Aug 8, 2011

i went through 5 60gb ps3s. 3 were disc reader problems 1 ylod and 1 bricked ps3. i had to eventually get the slim because i was out of warranty. the slim has been great so far no sign of anything wrong. i miss my 60gb though because it had full bacwards compatiblity with ps2 games

Message 7 of 29 (24,714 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 8, 2011

DBL_B_511 wrote:

DBL_B_511 Trophy Card

Slims are probably more reliable and durable since they run cooler and have less parts on the motherboard. The less parts there are, the less likely something can go wrong...

Message 8 of 29 (24,714 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2137 posts

Aug 8, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

DBL_B_511 wrote:

DBL_B_511 Trophy Card

Slims are probably more reliable and durable since they run cooler and have less parts on the motherboard. The less parts there are, the less likely something can go wrong...

This, but eventually they will fail, they use the same cheap solder. Slim owner here hoping to get at least 5 years out of my slim.

My previous PS3 was a 80gb MGS4 bundle, it lasted roughly two and a half years.

Message 9 of 29 (24,714 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Aug 8, 2011

nanotechMGS wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

DBL_B_511 wrote:

DBL_B_511 Trophy Card

This, but eventually they will fail, they use the same cheap solder. Slim owner here hoping to get at least 5 years out of my slim.

My previous PS3 was a 80gb MGS4 bundle, it lasted roughly two and a half years.

Perhaps, we will have to see. So far most YLOD issues is caused by the combination of cheap thermal paste, lead-free solder, and a hot running 90nm/65nm GPU. Few YLOD issues happen from the CPU. Since the GPU is now 40nm, the chip should run much cooler and YLOD issues should be a lot less. We still have that cheap thermal paste however.

Message 10 of 29 (24,714 Views)
0 Likes