Fender Bender
3210 posts

Re: How Do I Create Sub-Accounts?

Jun 3, 2010

SilentBob420BMFJ wrote:

What are the differences between sub and main? I would like my sub account to keep the same settings I have for my main account. You know, like the vast amount of XMB stuff.

If you create a subaccount it will have access to everything the master account does except for the master account's download list (assuming you have parental controls disabled completely).  The subaccount also doesn't have its own wallet, but can purchase items from the store using funds in the master account's wallet (assuming the master account allows it).

Subaccounts were basically created for parents to give accounts to their kids but restrict what they had access to.  If you disable those restrictions you won't notice any difference between the two account types on a day-to-day basis (assuming the master account remains setup on your PS3).

I got tired of my old master account's PSN ID a while ago and decided to create a new PSN subaccount.  I invited all of my friends to my new PSN ID and deleted everyone from my old one.  I still use my master account to make all of my purchases from the PlayStation Store so everything I have ever bought is still in one place, on my master account's download list.  All of those games, DLC, etc. can be used by my new subaccount with no problems.

Hopefully that makes sense.  It's just a suggestion, but it works for me.

Message 11 of 23 (1,687 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jul 14, 2010

you cant create sub account at all,,...... all i see master account ..where the hell it says "create a sub account"

Message 12 of 23 (1,687 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Aug 24, 2010

I feel your pain.  Every few months I want to create a new account so a friend visiting me can race online.  I've done it 3-4 times but each time it is very confusing and takes me way too long.  I think it is the new email address that usually confuses me. 

Message 13 of 23 (1,689 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 17, 2010

I didn't see the option to create sub accounts either.  I just went through the entire process, got an account, and now I have no idea if it's a master account or sub account.

Message 14 of 23 (1,689 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
425 posts

Sep 18, 2010

GoHerd35 wrote:

cmnova04 wrote:
I'm the master account holder and I cannot for the life of me figure this out!!!

Sorry I also cannot find a search feature on these boards to try to research this issue on my own.

Please help

To create a sub account you must log in as a different user from when you logged in to create the master account. To create a new user scroll all the way to the left on the XMB over to "Users" and create one from there. You must also be signed into the new user to create a sub account.

Part One:

1. Select Sign Up for PLAYSTATION®Network under Friends (far right) in the XMB.
  2. Select, "Yes, I want to create a new account."
  3. Enter your country of residence, language, and date of birth.
  4. Enter the sign-in ID and password for the master account that will be associated with the new sub account and press Continue.
  5. Enter the sign-in ID, password, security question, and the answer to the security question and then press Continue. You can also choose whether you'd like the password to be remembered on sign-in. Be sure to write down your sign-in ID, password, and the security question and answer just in case you need to reference back to it later on.
Part Two:
  1. Create an online ID that will be publically displayed in all games and then select Continue. Please think ahead and choose something you will like down the road because the online ID cannot be changed once entered.
  2. Enter your first name and last name. You can also enter your gender here, but that is optional. After you are finished press Continue.
  3. Enter your residential address. This includes your street address, city, state, and postal code, then press Continue.
  4. A screen should be displayed where you can recieve notifications from SCE and its partners. Please select the box/es if you are interested in recieving information from any of them. This step is optional and can be skipped.
  5. Another screen should appear with the information you have entered in the previous steps. Please review this information and when satisfied, select Confirm and a message should appear congratulating you on successfully creating a PLAYSTATION®Network account.
  6. Select an avatar that will be displayed beside your handle when on the PLAYSTATION®Network. There are multiple pages of avatars and you can keep the default avatar if you'd like. At this time you can't use your own image as an avatar.
  7. After this you should be able to log onto the PLAYSTATION®Network and enjoy all of the features!

How do you get past step four of part one? it says I cant use the e-mail address because it is associated with another account ( as it should be), so I cannot move any further.

Playstation 3 Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 15 of 23 (1,689 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 30, 2011

it is like a master and people that work for him.the master has control of everything.so the sub is an extra account

Message 16 of 23 (1,689 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 19, 2013

I think you have to be under 18 for a sub account when you enter date of birth **bleep** 

Message 17 of 23 (1,349 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3993 posts

Apr 19, 2013

unrealguns wrote:

I think you have to be under 18 for a sub account when you enter date of birth **bleep** 

Yes, that changed some time in the past. It's automatic, if your date of birth is 18 or up you get a Master Account. If it's under 18 you get a Sub Account that must be associated with a Master Account.

Message 18 of 23 (1,346 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3993 posts

Apr 19, 2013

Also, to avoid confusion, anyone on the PS3 can play anyone's games that are activated on that particular PS3.

Any Master or Sub Account can play anyone else's stuff on the PS3. But ...

...not on handhelds. On PSP/PS Vita each account owns their own stuff for handhelds, no up or down using allowed. Everything is locked to the purchaser PSN ID. (A Sub Account of a particular Master can still only use money allotted to them from the Master's Wallet to purchase games and other content. Master does not have access to those things purchased, even though it was THEIR money. Sub Account does not have access to any other Sub Account's stuff nor the Master's stuff.)

Message 19 of 23 (1,343 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Jul 7, 2013

My god, this is SUCH a crock!  Every web system I have ever used allows me to change my sign in name and password.  Sometimes there's a restriction on how often you can change this, but it's CHANGEABLE!  This is the 21st Century, for Pete's sake!  Now I can't even make a sub account for myself so people don't see my real name in games without lying and saying I'm under 18??  Really, Sony??  This has to change.  I guess I will be making a new account once I have my PS4.  Thanks for making it so friendly Sony....NOT.  Although trophies and all that count for nothing in the real world, sure would have been nice to take those with me to the PS4.  Can't believe Sony is so far behind EVERYONE ELSE in this regard.  Even Microsoft lets you change your sign in/display name once for free and then charges for changes thereafter (I think limited to once per year as well).  All those dumb kids who used some stupid name they want to forget once they're in their twenties, or people like me (admittedly stupid) who didn't pay attention when they set up their system on launch day, are stuck.  Just doesn't make sense.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time given to you.
Message 20 of 23 (1,234 Views)
0 Likes