Nov 06 2012
By: Andy209 Sackboy 413 posts

How CrossBuy Will Work

13 replies 345 views Edited Nov 6, 2012

I've seen some questions and speculation about this and thankfully someone was nice enough to get to the bottom of it and share this information with us.

User S-o-h-a-i-l Posted:

So I asked Phil Lynch (European Product Manager SCEE) about how cross-buy functionality works and here is his response.

'Hey S-o-h-a-i-l,
Cross-buy works when you insert your PS3 game disc into your PS3, you follow the on-screen instructions to recieve your PS VITA version, as a download from the PS Store.
It’s tied to your PSN ID so you won’t be able to give away the PS VITA version to a friend.
I hope this answers your question.'

Don't Forget to Play [Persona 4 Golden] Every Night Before Bed.
Message 1 of 14 (345 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2609 posts

Re: How CrossBuy Will Work

Nov 6, 2012

Well that's good to know. Not like I was going to give it away anyways. I just pre-orderd PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for my PS3, with the physical Vita version pre-ordered about a month ago.

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 2 of 14 (328 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13578 posts

Nov 6, 2012
Well sure, you can't give away the vita version.

But couldn't you still give the ps3 disc to a friend?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 14 (316 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Nov 6, 2012
I'm assuming if it's tied to your PSN ID then, ya, nothing is stopping you from giving the disc away...your friend likely just won't be able to redeem the Vita version.
Message 4 of 14 (311 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Nov 6, 2012

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2012/11/06/cross-buy-for-playstation-all-stars-is-tied-to-your-p...

"Cross-buy works when you insert your PS3 game disc into your PS3, you follow the on-screen instructions to receive your PS VITA version, as a download from the PS Store.

It’s tied to your PSN ID so you won’t be able to give away the PS VITA version to a friend."

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/11/06/which-playstation-all-star-are-you/#comment-302105

2nd post from  Phil Lynch replyed to S-o-h-a-i-l. there you have it that is how it works.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 5 of 14 (282 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Nov 7, 2012
I'm sure they made it into a one time thing. For that reason specifically. Wouldn't want to get a preowned PS3 version from Gamestop and get a free Vita version with it.
Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 6 of 14 (272 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 7, 2012

glaciusx25 wrote:

Unless the PS3 version is cheaper than the Vita version, I don't see why anyone would want to do this...

Message 7 of 14 (266 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 7, 2012

Andy209 wrote:

I've seen some questions and speculation about this and thankfully someone was nice enough to get to the bottom of it and share this information with us.

User S-o-h-a-i-l Posted:

So I asked Phil Lynch (European Product Manager SCEE) about how cross-buy functionality works and here is his response.

'Hey S-o-h-a-i-l,
Cross-buy works when you insert your PS3 game disc into your PS3, you follow the on-screen instructions to recieve your PS VITA version, as a download from the PS Store.
It’s tied to your PSN ID so you won’t be able to give away the PS VITA version to a friend.
I hope this answers your question.'

A Sony rep told my local GameStop manager something similar several weeks ago.

However new Sony sinage at GameStop (about All-Stars) states specifically that a download code comes with the PS3 version to download the Vita version. 

If there isn't a voucher code needed, what measure is there to stop someone from buying a used PS3 version to download a separate free Vita version. The only way I can think of to prevent this is to have a one-time use voucher code. If it doesn't work that way, I certainly would be interested to see how Sony prevents its abuse...

Message 8 of 14 (263 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13578 posts

Nov 7, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Unless the PS3 version is cheaper than the Vita version, I don't see why anyone would want to do this...

Well, I mean sell it.

If the PS3 version is $60, Vita is $40, you buy the PS3, redeem the Vita version, sell the PS3 version for $40, you ended up saving $20 and so did the person who bought the PS3 version.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 14 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3209 posts

Nov 7, 2012
Yea but once you activate the game using the ps3 to download the PS Vita game, the PS3 game code you entered is for playing online the PS3 also. So once you enter the code, that code is no good and once you sell the game, if it has multi player, the buyer won't be able to go online because you already used the code. Its pretty brilliant on Sony's part to stop used game sales but that's only IF it is a good game with good online multi player.
PSN: Deaofly
60 GIG Ps3 Owner Since January 21, 2007
500GB Ps4 Owner Since November 22, 2014
1000 Model PSP Owner, PSP Go Owner and PS Vita Owner
PS1 and PS2, Both Original Systems.
Message 10 of 14 (249 Views)
0 Likes