Mar 22 2010
By: gothikboi First Son 4 posts

How Can I add more memory to my ps3 (80 GB)

12 replies 12954 views Edited Mar 22, 2010

I have read a lot latelly of ppl that have a ps3 80 GB and they put more memory to it (even 600 GB) and I wanna do it... any tips please???

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (12,954 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28070 posts

Re: How Can I add more memory to my ps3 (80 GB)

Mar 22, 2010

gothikboi wrote:

I have read a lot latelly of ppl that have a ps3 80 GB and they put more memory to it (even 600 GB) and I wanna do it... any tips please???

They're not talking about memory they are talking about replacing their HDD.

Memory is RAM, HDD is the Hard Drive, 20GB, 60GB, 120 GB, 250GB etc etc.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (12,954 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Mar 22, 2010

Oh ok got it.. so it would be like if I go to any computer place and ask them to put some more hdd to the ps3? Also read that some other guys just use an external hard drive to back up their files and have more space... can I do that? because I thought some files you can't copy

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (12,954 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28070 posts

Mar 22, 2010

gothikboi wrote:

Oh ok got it.. so it would be like if I go to any computer place and ask them to put some more hdd to the ps3? Also read that some other guys just use an external hard drive to back up their files and have more space... can I do that? because I thought some files you can't copy

Great, & yes, you can add more RAM to your laptop or PC etc but I'm pretty sure its not possible with the PS3, as for exchanging the HDD, depending on the model sure, you can swap them out for a larger one, you can do this yourself too & yes too, a lot of people update & save their data to an external HDD for safe keeping, but I think their talking about saving their game data, pictures, music etc, perhaps others can assist with this & what can & cannot be saved exactly.

Some have even started talking about installing a 1TB HDD, now thats BIG lol, I have the 250GB PS3 Slim & I'm not sure I'll ever fill that up lol.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (12,954 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Mar 22, 2010

Thanks man, I guess Ill go and exchange the hdd this week... have lil memory left and lots of games to play

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (12,954 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28070 posts

Mar 22, 2010

gothikboi wrote:

Thanks man, I guess Ill go and exchange the hdd this week... have lil memory left and lots of games to play

You mean little HDD space, not memory lol 

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (12,954 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3210 posts

Mar 22, 2010

gothikboi wrote:

Just buy a laptop HDD and swap it out yourself.  It takes 10 minutes.  I installed a 320 GB HDD last year and couldn't be happier.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (12,954 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
4315 posts

Mar 22, 2010

Vernon_Hardapple wrote:

gothikboi wrote:

Just buy a laptop HDD and swap it out yourself.  It takes 10 minutes.  I installed a 320 GB HDD last year and couldn't be happier.

I agree. Here are Sony's instructions:

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=362#40gb

Proud to be a Monkey!
 photo GTLogoMonkeySig.gif

~~~ SupaTunaGT ~~~

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (12,954 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7477 posts

Mar 22, 2010

gothikboi wrote:

It's probably best to do this all yourself as you won't have to pay a shop to do this for you. The process is pretty easy and there are guides all over the internet and in your PS3's user's manual to help walk you through the steps.

As far as your personal data is concerned just back it up onto an external hard drive. If you don't have an external drive to spare here's what I did when I moved from my 60 to a 320.

First I deleted all Installed Game Data (not the save data), all installed games from the PS Store, all movies, pictures, music, themes, anything and everything. This will reduce the size of the back up.

Second use the backup feature on the PS3 and store it on a USB Thumb/Jump/Stick drive. With any luck a small 4gig stick will be all you need or something laying around the house. If it's not enough move individual non locked save files from your PS3 to a PC and then delete them from the USB Stick and shuttle them back and forth. Then apply the back up to the locked save files. 

One and Two are done shut down the PS3 and install the new hard drive. Make sure you look up instructions first as some PS3's require that you use a download of the current firmware onto a CD or USB device. Make sure your PS3 is using the Current firmware as well, miss matching firmware versions will just cause you to put the old hard drive back into your PS3 to install the most recent firmware. If you're using a 60/20/80-BC you shouldn't have to worry about the firmware stuff. 

Just a side note, if you don't have any Locked Saves then you can just shuttle your saves to a memory stick and install the new drive. 

The whole installation really is easy even if it does seem a tad complicated it's pretty straight forward.

You can find good prices on decent hard drives at http://www.newegg.com, the hard drives have reviews tied to each item so you should be able to get a decent hard drive with reduced risk to your data. Remember you need a 2.5" hard drive or a Laptop Hard Drive with a SATA connector.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (12,954 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
292 posts

Mar 23, 2010

Go to best buy or NewEgg.com and purchase a 2.5 SATA HDD for internal memory or you could buy a USB external HDD from any store or website.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (12,954 Views)
0 Likes