Dec 01 2012
By: MetaDragon First Son 5 posts

Horrible new PSN Store interface.

12 replies 964 views Edited Dec 1, 2012

The following may qualify as rant.  So before anybody writes me off as a XBox shill/fanboy:  I do own an original XBox & XBox 360.  The 360 is only used for system exclusives.  I also own a PS1, PS2, multiple PS3s, a PS Vita, and even multiple Move contollers (yes I admit it).  The PS3 is my primary console and first choice for all new games.  I've spent real money (over $100) on clothes for my avatars in Playstation home.

Now onto the new store interface:

Metro style tiles?!  Really?  Are they kidding?  Not every idea Microsoft has is a good one  I used to favorably compare the PSN store to the XBox Marketplace, but that's over.  Somebody should remind Sony that the PS3 is in no way a mobile phone.This interface looks like it would be easily displayed by a pentium 1 and not even worthy of the power of a machine like the PS3.  The interface wastes literally inches of space on my 50 inch plasma tv by showing only 9 tiles at a time.

The color scheme is actually depressing.  Black on blue so dark it might as well be black.  It forcibly reminds me of how early it gets pitch black dark here in North America this time of year.  That shouldn't be a mental state that Sony wants associated with their product.

Navigating through submenus and the tile grid is noticeably slow and jerky.

The menu organization is terrible.  What's new is now "New on PS3" and buried in a submenu?  Only reason I can see for that is to force people to slog through ads hoping they'll spring for an impulse buy.  I understand Sony's out to make money, but this is blantantly irritating.  Shame on you Sony!

Filtering out irrelevant content is now 10 times harder than it was in the old interface.  I had to click through several  levels of irritating menu just to get to the new content.  Then I had to navigate through multiple levels of the filter box to show just add on content.  Then I was still stuck wading through 500ish new sackboy costumes for a game I've never even wanted to play.

Finding the description info text for each item is a total chore.  After I finally get to a tile that I might be interested in I have to open it click right, and then click x again to expand the text. 

Were any user interface experts consulted on this travesty?  The usability factor has regressed to barely functional.  I'm am now actively boycotting the store until it reverts to the old interface.  In face, I deliberately chose not to spend $15 dollars on add-ons today and I'm finally going to go cancel that DCUniverse subscription that I've been forgetting to terminate for a year now.  Sony gets nothing more from me than their cut off disc game sales until they fix this mess!

Message 1 of 13 (964 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Re: Horrible new PSN Store interface.

Dec 1, 2012
I know dude, I really want the old PlayStation Store Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 13 (957 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
535 posts

Dec 1, 2012

Besides some of the ugly background colors I like the store. However I hope ps4 has a user interface more akin to a revamped music unlimited.

Message 3 of 13 (956 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Dec 1, 2012

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!!!!

I like the new look. Easier to navigate, a WORKING search feature with predictive text.

The "Metro" look is not what this is. While it may resemble the 360's 3rd or 4th GUI change, its not the same.

Plus, the style is not a trademark and is open for anyone to use that style of text and GUI. 

I wonder if Apple is going to sue Microoft and Sony since they have that style in their OS...... 

Get real dude. 

Some people like it, some people don't. The same went for the previous look. There's always going to be a dividing line between the likes and dislikes. You can't ever please everyone.

I'm inclined to think that because you were used to seeing the GUI on the 360 first, you've grown accustomed to associating it with everything Microsoft.

While I still dont like the way the Xbox has the GUI as it is quite confusing, The way the Store uses a similar format and makes it easier to use, it make me think that if Sony goes with this style of OS on the PS4, it wouldn't be so bad.
As long as they don't plague it with advertisements on every screen like the Xbox does.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 13 (946 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29177 posts

Dec 1, 2012

Here's an idea, spend about five minutes that you would be "outraged", and actually take that time to LEARN how to use the new Store. It's about EFFORT here people. Make one. 

Message 6 of 13 (943 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Dec 1, 2012
No effort on my part can make make for their lack of effort in choosing the sound the store plays when it opens. What is that..? I wish they'd change just that one thing.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Message 7 of 13 (939 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29177 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 1, 2012

Would you rather have it play Ava Maria? Honestly, that's what's called reaching. 

Message 8 of 13 (936 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Dec 2, 2012

EzraMajor wrote:
No effort on my part can make make for their lack of effort in choosing the sound the store plays when it opens. What is that..? I wish they'd change just that one thing.

Wow... really?

Nit-picking now...

Why don't you become a programmer for Sony and see if you can do better...

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 13 (906 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1368 posts

Dec 2, 2012
Are you kidding me, they had a good sound the first time. I don't mind the rest of the redesign but that's not a pleasant sound by any means.
 photo EZRASIG_zpsf85694e2.jpg
Message 10 of 13 (893 Views)
0 Likes