Mar 23 2009
By: Gaming_Fan First Son 26 posts

Hookup PS3 to Internet with cell phone (FYI)

25 replies 15484 views Edited Mar 23, 2009

For those of you who are interested I have some info to pass along and hopefully it will help some out here. I live in the country and there are no high speed internet lines anywhere neer us and probably will not be for many , MANY years to come. I could get an internet connection thru a few dish providers but it is a LOT of money. My wife has (not sure if I am allowed to say which provider) a cell phone with unlimited internet access (and very surprisingly cheap at $25 a month) and I have been trying to hook it up to my PS3 because it is preaty much my only option unless I want to sell my soul to pay for a faster method. I finally got it !!!!! All I did was hook up the cell phone to my computer like I allways do and connect the PC up to the internet, but I ran a LAN line from the back of my computer to the back of the PS3. This didn't work for me at first but after messing with it, it is preaty easy. Go to the icon on the bottom of your screen which is your internet provider and right click........hit properties.....and then there is a box that says something about allowing others to leach off your computer (check this). This will allow your PS3 to use the internet off from your PC thru the LAN line. I found out that every time I hook it up I need to go uncheck the box and then recheck it to get the PS3 activated but it works and I am happy with it. The speed is not the greatest but for me I don't have many options. Fight Night was a nightmare useing this setup but Resistance 2 works awesome online with this setup. So.....you may not be able to play all the games online this way but you will be able to use the Playstation store, get updates, and play a few games. You don't need any fancy software, routers, or anything like that to make this work. Can't wait to get back home and play some more Resistance 2 online.......LOVE IT  Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 26 (15,484 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Re: Hookup PS3 to Internet with cell phone (FYI)

Mar 23, 2009
I just bought a Cradlepoint MBR1000 cellular router & inserted my air card into it.  Works perfect for my laptop & PS3.
PS3 CECHA01
original 60GB, upgraded to 500GB HD
Message 2 of 26 (15,484 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
510 posts

Mar 23, 2009
Awesome post, I too live out in the country and use my cell phone for internet on my laptop. I have been trying to use it on my ps3 so far with no success. I will definately try this when I get home. Basically I was just looking for a way to download updates for my games, particularily Burnout Paradise. Gave kudos for the post, Thank you for the information.
Message 3 of 26 (15,484 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
331 posts

Mar 23, 2009
You are probably going to be lagging quite badly though. Many cellular data connections are quite latent, just thought I'd warn you.
Gamer Advisory PanelBeta Tester

Message 4 of 26 (15,484 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
510 posts

Mar 23, 2009
yes I am aware the connection won't be the best, but it will be good enough for me to get the game updates and patches that I couldn't get before unless I took my system into town, which I wasn't about to do.
Message 5 of 26 (15,484 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Mar 23, 2009
Some games the lag is to bad to play (like fight night) but others like (Resistance 2 ) work AWESOME and I have been playing it like CRAZY Smiley Happy  
Message 6 of 26 (15,484 Views)
Wastelander
884 posts

Mar 23, 2009

Dam dude, that is pretty sweet...good info. I am going to try it just for fun.

Message 7 of 26 (15,484 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
673 posts

Mar 23, 2009
never thoguth that would work...might try to do this just for fun as well...good show man
Message 8 of 26 (15,484 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
289 posts

Mar 23, 2009
Great Thinking!
Message 9 of 26 (15,484 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Mar 23, 2009

ShadowDV wrote:
yes I am aware the connection won't be the best, but it will be good enough for me to get the game updates and patches that I couldn't get before unless I took my system into town, which I wasn't about to do.

you are going to be ruining it for others aswell with your laggy connection.

dont forget that.

i hate playing with people like who you, assume just because you can get "online" with the ps3 in any fashion possible, it wont lag anyone else out.

pathetic.

Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Message 10 of 26 (15,484 Views)
0 Likes