Feb 18 2013
By: EER828 First Son 3 posts

His Cheap Materials

9 replies 167 views Edited Feb 18, 2013

So as of 2 weeks ago, I am a "proud" owner of a Classic White PS3. 

Performance-wise, I've found no trouble yet. I was able to successfully, although very slowly, transfer all my data from my 80GB 'FAT' PS3. 

My main issue is, and wondering if anyone else has noticed anything, is that overall frame/chassis is pretty cheap. Again, only 2 weeks in, and the plastic has begun to warp slightly where the disc-loading tray slides. I've also began to notice weird stains that magically appeared on the white finish as well. It literally has not been moved once, since being plugged in. Nothing has been spilled on it, barely any dust has landed on it. Anyone else dealing with things like this?

Thanks! Robot Mad

Message 1 of 10 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55494 posts

Re: His Cheap Materials

Feb 18, 2013

EER828 wrote:

So as of 2 weeks ago, I am a "proud" owner of a Classic White PS3. 

Performance-wise, I've found no trouble yet. I was able to successfully, although very slowly, transfer all my data from my 80GB 'FAT' PS3. 

My main issue is, and wondering if anyone else has noticed anything, is that overall frame/chassis is pretty cheap. Again, only 2 weeks in, and the plastic has begun to warp slightly where the disc-loading tray slides. I've also began to notice weird stains that magically appeared on the white finish as well. It literally has not been moved once, since being plugged in. Nothing has been spilled on it, barely any dust has landed on it. Anyone else dealing with things like this?

Thanks! Robot Mad

I have a 300gig slim and havent had any warping/color issues like that at all.  Feels no "weaker" or "cheaper in build" than any other console i've touched. 

Message 2 of 10 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Feb 18, 2013

warping? how much? got pictures?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 10 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

Feb 19, 2013

Warping after only 2 weeks?

I never had warping issues for any console. As mentioned, a picture would be nice to see. It shouldn't be getting that hot to warp.

Message 4 of 10 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8196 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 19, 2013

Nice play on Pullman's books on the title there.

White plastic, being white, magically attracts every nasty dirt and stain that comes within a kilometer of it.

Deformation (as in, flexing plastic), however, should NOT happen. We'd like to see a picture, but a deformed plastic would mean that there's something wrong. To deform plastic, you would need high temperature (bad) or constant stress on the plastic (bad).

Message 5 of 10 (130 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29189 posts

Feb 19, 2013

I doubt that after two weeks it's warped, unless of course he's playing it on the surface of the Sun.

I'm beginning to think many out there expect the PS3 to be made of stainless steel, and brushed aluminum. If the PS3 were made to the specs that many have convinced themselves it should be, the price would be well over a thousand bucks.

Message 6 of 10 (124 Views)
MVP Support
40615 posts

Feb 19, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I doubt that after two weeks it's warped, unless of course he's playing it on the surface of the Sun.

I'm beginning to think many out there expect the PS3 to be made of stainless steel, and brushed aluminum. If the PS3 were made to the specs that many have convinced themselves it should be, the price would be well over a thousand bucks.

Smiley LOL

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 7 of 10 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8196 posts

Feb 19, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Which no one would pay for despite being reasonable for what they convinced themselves it should be, because it's "too expensive for what it is."

Message 8 of 10 (116 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Feb 19, 2013

I would.... that would really separate all the idiots

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 10 (105 Views)
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Feb 20, 2013
Forget your PS3, go to a thrift store. Buy a Commodore 64 and buy Ultima III: Exodus AND your problems will MAGICALLY VANISH!! AMAZING RIGHT?!
Message 10 of 10 (78 Views)