Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 19 2012
By: sleepingforest24 First Son 2 posts

Help with lag

7 replies 225 views Edited Dec 19, 2012

Hello everyone, I am aware of similar threads but after reading for about an hour I could not fine one that addresses my problem.

I am experiencing a frustrating amount of lag when I am online (mainly dark souls because that's really the only game I go online with), I am not super knowledgeable with the inner working but I will try to provide as much info as I can so bare with me please. I have fios and I have upgraded my service to 50 Mbps download and 25 Mbps upload. I live in the states not sure if that is relevant or not. Those of you who are familiar with dark souls will know what I am talking about. When I invade or am invaded my self I don't experience much lag for about the first 30 seconds but as time goes on it gets progressively worse to the point were I am attacking someone and the next thing I know I am being back attacked. Very frustrating and it gets me killed very often. I have the newest router from Verizon (or so I am told) I have my ps3 plugged directly into the router via an ether net. When I configure my net work setting I use the easy setting and wired so it handles the rest for me. After the internet test I have a Nat type 2 and an average dl speed of 30 Mbps and an up load speed of 8 Mbps. If any more information is needed pleas ask I will try my best to find it out.

any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all who can help

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
119 posts

Re: Help with lag

Dec 19, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHEWR6vz4Mo&feature=player_embedded

This video might help you.Try the ''rebuild database'' option.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Maybe try adding Ports to your router and putting a Static IP Address on your PS3? Heres the link for Ports. Also once ina while reset your modem and router. Hope this helps.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 21, 2012

the ps3 internal speed test is NEVER accurate. always you speakeasy.net speedtest.net  or thebigpipe.net for the true accurate reading. if your still getting lag it might be your modem is  not compatible with dark souls. i had this issue with Mortal Kombat. the combo modem/routers cause issues with certain games. every game i had online worked fine except for mortal kombat. so i got a wired modem from my provider(which is cheaper) bought my own router from best buy and BAM, online instantly. those combo modem routers have built in firewalls that dont play nice with certain games. 

dont open ports, try this 1st never mess with settings unless your a pro you can lock yourself out of the modem settings then your screwed

One day at a time babe....
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Dec 21, 2012

AriesSiren wrote:

the ps3 internal speed test is NEVER accurate. always you speakeasy.net speedtest.net  or thebigpipe.net for the true accurate reading. if your still getting lag it might be your modem is  not compatible with dark souls. i had this issue with Mortal Kombat. the combo modem/routers cause issues with certain games. every game i had online worked fine except for mortal kombat. so i got a wired modem from my provider(which is cheaper) bought my own router from best buy and BAM, online instantly. those combo modem routers have built in firewalls that dont play nice with certain games. 

dont open ports, try this 1st never mess with settings unless your a pro you can lock yourself out of the modem settings then your screwed

Lol, You don't need to be a pro to mess with the router settings, And theres noway that it will lock you out.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1460 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2012

Sounds more like a Dark Souls server issue.

They don't have dedicated servers anymore so you may be playing people across the other side of the world.

Make sure UPNP is enabled on the router.

Your speeds are fine.

This may help for your situation you can also complain on there site also or contact them.

http://support.namcobandaigames.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/228/0/dark-souls---im-havi...

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

Dec 23, 2012

go ahead and try it, see what happens.

One day at a time babe....
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (129 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 27, 2012

sorry for the delay everyone. i was away for a bit. i will try these and hopfully this will take care of my problem. i will keep you posted on any progress that is made and thanks for all the suggestions. you all rock

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (90 Views)
0 Likes