Ghost of Sparta
12823 posts

Re: Help Sony See The Way

Jun 3, 2013
200 ps3 games.....
wth...

And I really don't understand why people want to play new games on their old console. If you want to play old games, play it on your old console. I still play star wars battlefront 2 on my ps2 and im fine with that
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Message 11 of 49 (119 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
742 posts

Jun 3, 2013

My friends who are heavy into Playstation, some even more than I are also disappointed for the lack of BC. But I never expected it to come anyways unless you wanted a repeat of $599 or more.

Personally, BC to me is not very important, but that just concerns me as I typically keep older consoles. I have been downsizing my physical Playstation 3 library, only keeping the good games, saga collections, or games that have already come to PS+.

I'm not very confident in gaikai, as I put my faith once in David Perry's previous venture (2moons localization with his name plastered all over it) only to be let down with Acclaim and him. Not surprised Acclaim went the way of the dinosaur with their half-baked MMOs.

Sony's support for Remote play has also been lackluster especially for a feature that should have been grounded at the beggining of PS3's life cycle. We had the PSP should work with GT that never came, and Remote Play was planned to be amazing. Instead, little to no software support. Although I will give Q-games praise for their amazing work on PS3+PSP remote play with pixel junk.

Then we had remote play problems with PS3 and Vita. We never got Killzone 3 despite being shown working at E3. Hackers demonstrated that remote play was capable of working between PS3 and Vita with numerous titles. Sony was just incapable of supporting the feature once again.

I won't be surprised if its half assed again along with whatever Gaikai's vision is due to previous shortcomings, but BC like I said is arguably entitlement.

Sony may have been one of the pioneers and set an example of how to lead the pack by putting BC on PS2 for PS1, but with completely different architecture and the abandonment of Cell in favor of the more developer friendly x86, I don't blame them that they got rid of the old system and BC with it.

I sincerely hope Gaikai works out, so that at the very least digital titles will work on PS4 that I built up. However, it won't be a major loss for me if they don't as I got them to play on my PS3 and thats where they will stay. On my PS3.

PSone, PSP can live on in my Vita. Never got into PS2 classics on PS3, seems too little too late for me, but hope they get it running on PS4 down the line along with PS3 games, streaming.

At the end of the day Sony is a business. I expect digital PS3,PS2, and PSone classics will one day be playable on the PS4 through streaming or other means, as they have a market to cash in on with these legacy titles. Physical titles, not so much. 

Message 12 of 49 (118 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28060 posts

Jun 3, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
200 ps3 games.....
wth...

And I really don't understand why people want to play new games on their old console. If you want to play old games, play it on your old console. I still play star wars battlefront 2 on my ps2 and im fine with that

Because they're being told they can't. That's all it is. If they had backwards compatibility, they wouldn't use it.

Message 13 of 49 (113 Views)
PlayStation MVP
742 posts

Jun 3, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
200 ps3 games.....
wth...

Exactly, its like people see "OMG PS4! Now I can get rid of my PS3!" *Tosses it out the window*

The only explanations I've heard are saving space and saving money by trading in the console (arguably more reasonable), but some gamers are acting entitled. 

I guarantee you that the main issue here is, Sony set a standard for BC with PS1 BC on PS1, and it impacted many consumers. People who missed out on a console as great as PS1 could have a chance to catch up with PS2. Did gamecube and the other crap systems that launched that gen offer that? Nope. DVD support and BC was a boom for PS2, and maintained market share for them. But the formula didn't work as much with PS3 with Blu-ray + BC. They took a loss for each unit just so they could have BC, and even then some consumers thought that it was too high of a pricepoint. They continued (onto their faithful atleast) to have PS2 and PS1 BC on PS3 launch systems. But the sacrifice of cost, half-assed implemented systems and other things make it a problem to continue on. Eventually you have to reboot, which is essentially the PS4.

Some longtime consumers, will be feeling burned, but they have to deal with it. Sony has to cut corners, and BC is one of them. If they want to regain market share, and become successful for SCE as a whole, they need to ignore the niche who cares about BC, and just do what they did great with PSone. Games, games, and more great games.

Eventually, even the consumers who feel burned about BC will buy the new system. As for new consumers, they missed out on the old system, that's their loss. They want to play games? Buy the old system, because as far as I see it, Sony doesn't just plan to drop the PS3 as soon as the PS4 comes out. 

Gran Turismo 6

Rain

Pupeteer

Beyond:Two Souls
The Last of Us

and from third party developers and publishers

MGS V

GTA V

CoD

Battlefield: 4

Saints Rows 4

Dark Souls II

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD remix

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD collection

These games are still coming out, and they are coming out for PS3. Some may be cross-gen, but the PS3 still has a market and its growing not decreasing. 

I praise SCEA, SCEE, and SCEJ for their efforts in maintaining and continuing support for their consoles when they go on about the 10 year life cycle. PS3 is more than 6 years in and we still get great games coming, even in the advent of a new generation. In comparison to Nintendo and Microsoft who essentially dropped support on the Wii and 360 as soon as WiiU and Xbone were announced, theres a major difference in what I arguably will choose next gen and expect the longest support for.

Message 14 of 49 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Jun 3, 2013

I don't think it will make the PS4 that much more expensive, I'm thinking about skipping this gen if digital download aren't going to transfer, I will be fine replacing my current PC and use it to play PS1, 2 and next gen games and just keep my PS3, again I'd hate that since I've always been a Playstation customer and I'm really looking forward for the PS4 but if it doesn't play old games and on top of that I can't play my digitally downloaded games like RE4, 5, 6, MK9, etc and a lot more I've downloaded from PS Store and my friends, There is going to have to impress me with something and not being able to play old games isn't going to impress anyone.

Message 15 of 49 (103 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
742 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

Zorrillo90 wrote:

I don't think it will make the PS4 that much more expensive, I'm thinking about skipping this gen if digital download aren't going to transfer, I will be fine replacing my current PC and use it to play PS1, 2 and next gen games and just keep my PS3, again I'd hate that since I've always been a Playstation customer and I'm really looking forward for the PS4 but if it doesn't play old games and on top of that I can't play my digitally downloaded games like RE4, 5, 6, MK9, etc and a lot more I've downloaded from PS Store and my friends, There is going to have to impress me with something and not being able to play old games isn't going to impress anyone.

Well logically, you have to think about it this way.

WIth Playstation as a platform they make TONS of sales from legacy titles. Along with other publishers, be it PSone, PS2, or PSP.

For them to drop BC for these digitally wouldn't be plasible.

I expect Gaikai to enable PSone streaming ready from launch. Eventually PS2 and PS3 streaming will follow for digital titles. PSone remote play runs flawlessly on the Vita. I'm confident that eventually down the line they will enable or bring these games back. Otherwise they are missing out on a MASSIVE STREAM of potential revenue. 

Whether this concerns rebuying the games again since they are reworked from scratch or gaikai pays off and actually works will be the question.

And PS3 is still retailing for $250. PS2 emotion chip made things expensive for PS3. Imagine how bad a PS3 would be inside the PS4, because thats essentially what it would be. X86 and cell, not exactly compatible. It would be the same solution they did for launch unit PS3s, sticking a major part from the old system into the new system. It boosts the costs to make the system and becomes implausible to mainstream consumers.

Message 16 of 49 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
657 posts

Jun 3, 2013

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
200 ps3 games.....
wth...

You misspelled. There many reasons that have already been explained and that's how the majority of people think Sony should handle this and that's why backwards compatible PS3 are rare and most people sell them overpriced because they know a lot of people care about it. That's not even hard to understand from anyone point of view. Go to youtube and find that out yourself just type PS4 Backwards Compatibility, even people without a PS3 will want a backwards compatible PS4 and that's fact because not everyone like to share their info online also PS3 games are under development right now, backwards compatibilty is a good way to for Sony to lose money because a lot of people are just not going to buy a PS4 and keep their old console, it limits a lot of people and keep them from buying PS3 games, that's why as a Sony fan but not as a fanboy I'd like a BC PS4.

Message 17 of 49 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
12823 posts

Jun 3, 2013

Zorrillo90 wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
200 ps3 games.....
wth...

You misspelled. There many reasons that have already been explained and that's how the majority of people think Sony should handle this and that's why backwards compatible PS3 are rare and most people sell them overpriced because they know a lot of people care about it. That's not even hard to understand from anyone point of view. Go to youtube and find that out yourself just type PS4 Backwards Compatibility, even people without a PS3 will want a backwards compatible PS4 and that's fact because not everyone like to share their info online also PS3 games are under development right now, backwards compatibilty is a good way to for Sony to lose money because a lot of people are just not going to buy a PS4 and keep their old console, it limits a lot of people and keep them from buying PS3 games, that's why as a Sony fan but not as a fanboy I'd like a BC PS4.

No where in your incoherent paragrapgh did you give me a legitmate reason for people wanting BC. I did not understand a god **bleep** word in that little essay. Oh to hell with this im gonna go play COH 

Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Message 18 of 49 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 3, 2013

You're making the assumption that backwards compatibility = being able to play Ps3 and Ps4 games together...which will not be the case...either way.

And for the love of buddah's prayer beads...dont post in bold all caps white...ever...again.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 19 of 49 (86 Views)
Wastelander
657 posts

Jun 3, 2013

Gadirok wrote:

Zorrillo90 wrote:

Well logically, you have to think about it this way.

WIth Playstation as a platform they make TONS of sales from legacy titles. Along with other publishers, be it PSone, PS2, or PSP.

For them to drop BC for these wouldn't be plasible.

I expect Gaikai to enable PSone streaming ready from launch. Eventually PS2 and PS3 streaming will follow for digital titles. PSone remote play runs flawlessly on the Vita. I'm confident that eventually down the line they will enable or bring these games back. Otherwise they are missing out on a MASSIVE STREAM of potential revenue. 

Whether this concerns rebuying the games again since they are reworked from scratch or gaikai pays off and actually works will be the question.

And PS3 is still retailing for $250. PS2 emotion chip made things expensive for PS3. Imagine how bad a PS3 would be inside the PS4, because thats essentially what it would be. X86 and cell, not exactly compatible. It would be the same solution they did for launch unit PS3s, sticking a major part from the old system into the new system. It boosts the costs to make the system and becomes implausible to mainstream consumers.

I understand you point trust me, I've always been loyal to Playstation and I'm pretty sure that's a bad move for them, When you run a company like this last thing you want to do is lose your customer loyalty and then finally lose their support, that's not how you make a company grow, if PS4 isn't going to be BC, it's simple because they don't want to invest that money which by the year 2014, a PS3 processor isn't going to be expensive at all, well it isn't already, it will keep getting cheaper along with new tech coming to problably make PS4 even cheaper and they'll buying bulk quantities that wouldn't make a PS4 that much more expensive.

You should be able to play PS2 games on PS4 of course if Sony wants to, there are not excuses for that, my 5 year old PC can play some of them on native resolution with a emulator made by random people, RE4 it's easy to emulate in this 5 year old PC that uses a AMD Athlon II X4 620 Processor that isn't even for sale anymore, if PS4 isn't going to be backwards compatible, they better watch out those PS3 emulator that are probably going to be made when PC get stronger and PCI Express 4.0 coming around the year 2014, 15 based on Wikipedia and that's not everything.

Message 20 of 49 (77 Views)
0 Likes