Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: Help! If a change my PS3 hdd will it stop freezing and lagging??

Jun 24, 2011

So... if you redownload the update file today it should work just fine.

Message 11 of 26 (870 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jun 25, 2011

You were right Solar_Difusion, this time it did work but at first I was still getting the "No applicable update data was found." message until a remove my thumb drive and put it back again.

The good thing is I can use my PS3 again, the bad thing is the games are still freezing and the ugly is I have the get another hdd to see if it's a hardware issue.

Message 12 of 26 (870 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jun 25, 2011

Street_Wizard_ wrote:

You were right Solar_Difusion, this time it did work but at first I was still getting the "No applicable update data was found." message until a remove my thumb drive and put it back again.

The good thing is I can use my PS3 again, the bad thing is the games are still freezing and the ugly is I have the get another hdd to see if it's a hardware issue.

Ahhh, well. Hmm.  Please let u know if you do get to try another HDD and if that is the problem.

Hopefully the HDD is just failing.  Did you happen to notice what brand HDD it was?  I know the original slims (the 120GB's) had Toshiba HDDs, but I haven't seen the newer ones.

Message 13 of 26 (870 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jun 25, 2011

Yeah I hope is just the hdd that's pissing me off. Mine is a TOSHIBA too, I guess SONY has loyalty for that brand.. I have to add that I have a 40GB on my PC that's almost 5 years old and it's still working like a champ!

Maybe I just had bad luck with the PS3 one, who knows... But I'll find out soon and I'll let you know.

Message 14 of 26 (870 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jun 26, 2011

Sony, like the other manufacturers, buys their hard drives in bulk from various manufacturers. One day it might be Seagate. Another day it might be Toshiba. Regardless, hard drives are consumables. They're not guaranteed to keep your data. Make backups regularly. If you buy replacement hard drives, then keep the receipt for warranty purposes.

Message 15 of 26 (870 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jun 27, 2011

Street_Wizard_ wrote:

Yeah I hope is just the hdd that's pissing me off. Mine is a TOSHIBA too, I guess SONY has loyalty for that brand.. I have to add that I have a 40GB on my PC that's almost 5 years old and it's still working like a champ!

Maybe I just had bad luck with the PS3 one, who knows... But I'll find out soon and I'll let you know.

I don't trust Toshiba HDDs at all. Too many have failed on me.  My company received a grant and received many Toshiba Laptops as part of this grant.  All had Toshiba HDDs, and all have failed on us more than twice.  After the warranty period expired, I started replacing with Hitachi and have had no more issues.

But Sony does get what they can for less money.  The launch PS3s had Seagate.  I've seen Seagate, Hitachi, Fujitsi, and Toshiba as stock PS3 HDDs.

Message 16 of 26 (870 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Jun 27, 2011

You could always pull the hard drive out and run a diagnostic on it to see if there is an issue.

Keep in mind, you are still under manufacturer warranty. You could send it out if feel it's running sub-par.

I have a 320GB Slim and the XMB can be slow at times (mostly due to me having a ton of PSN titles), but if the hard drive is empty, then something is amiss.

The XMB should have nothing to do with the hard drive, however, so it could be another issue. I say check out the hard drive and if it checks out fine, then just sent the PS3 to Sony. If not, still send it out to Sony. It's all about saving the green

Message 17 of 26 (871 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jun 27, 2011

JonJonXD wrote:

You could always pull the hard drive out and run a diagnostic on it to see if there is an issue.

Keep in mind, you are still under manufacturer warranty. You could send it out if feel it's running sub-par.

I have a 320GB Slim and the XMB can be slow at times (mostly due to me having a ton of PSN titles), but if the hard drive is empty, then something is amiss.

The XMB should have nothing to do with the hard drive, however, so it could be another issue. I say check out the hard drive and if it checks out fine, then just sent the PS3 to Sony. If not, still send it out to Sony. It's all about saving the green

System Software is stored on the HDD, the XMB loads everything from the HDD, so if the HDD is bad, the XMB will definitely suffer.

Message 18 of 26 (871 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jun 28, 2011

Solar_Difusion wrote:

System Software is stored on the HDD, the XMB loads everything from the HDD, so if the HDD is bad, the XMB will definitely suffer.

Sorry, my 40 GB HDD is HITACHI not TOSHIBA, I do not know why I said that before... Maybe this PS3 thing is wearing me out.

And what about the lens? Because it reads from the disc itself not the hdd, right? so I believe it has more to do with the freezing than a bad drive. I'm just saying

I did notice the XMB at times kind of slow and when I Restore File System everything is back to normal for a while. This sucks because the only game I can play is Resident Evil 5, it does not give me much trouble as the others.

Message 19 of 26 (871 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jul 6, 2011

Guys, I've changed my PS3 160GB TOSHIBA hdd for a 120GB Seagate and there is no more freezing and lagging

It's been 5 days now since I've changed it and it's working like a champ again. The only issue I have is playing Black Ops online since it freezes right before the game starts where you have to "Choose Class". I don't have this issue playing Campaign so I really don't know where is this coming from.

Thank you for your replies.

Message 20 of 26 (871 Views)
0 Likes