Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Jun 23 2011
By: Street_Wizard_ First Son 13 posts
Offline

Help! If a change my PS3 hdd will it stop freezing and lagging??

25 replies 4678 views Edited Jun 23, 2011

Hi everyone!

My PS3 Slim 160Gb is almost 6 months old and in the past 3 weeks it has been kind of slow in the XMB menu, loading games, freezing and lagging at times.. So I went into Safe Mode to Restore File System but it didn't fix the problem even though for some people it worked. My last option was to Restore PS3 System which I did but now the problem has gotten even worse to point I can't play any games.

I really don't know much about these things and I was wondering if the freezing has something to do with the hdd or the lens.

I would appreciate your help.

Message 1 of 26 (4,678 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 03/10/2008
Offline
19370 posts
 

Re: Help! If a change my PS3 hdd will it stop freezing and lagging??

Jun 23, 2011

Street_Wizard_ wrote:

Hi everyone!

My PS3 Slim 160Gb is almost 6 months old and in the past 3 weeks it has been kind of slow in the XMB menu, loading games, freezing and lagging at times.. So I went into Safe Mode to Restore File System but it didn't fix the problem even though for some people it worked. My last option was to Restore PS3 System which I did but now the problem has gotten even worse to point I can't play any games.

I really don't know much about these things and I was wondering if the freezing has something to do with the hdd or the lens.

I would appreciate your help.

If the problem is the HDD, of course it'll help.

But there's no guarantee that is the problem, especially as you already tried the Restore PS3 System option.

The lense shoudl have nothing to do with freezing in the XMB, and HDD if bad can cause freezing, since data has to be loaded from the HDD.

You can go ahead and try replacing it, and see if it helps.  Two of my friends with slim systems have had similar issues, but restoring file system helped for one, restoring the PS3 completely helped for the other.

Message 2 of 26 (4,678 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 06/20/2011
Offline
13 posts
 

Re: Help! If a change my PS3 hdd will it stop freezing and lagging??

Jun 24, 2011

Solar_Difusion wrote:

Street_Wizard_ wrote:

Hi everyone!

My PS3 Slim 160Gb is almost 6 months old and in the past 3 weeks it has been kind of slow in the XMB menu, loading games, freezing and lagging at times.. So I went into Safe Mode to Restore File System but it didn't fix the problem even though for some people it worked. My last option was to Restore PS3 System which I did but now the problem has gotten even worse to point I can't play any games.

I really don't know much about these things and I was wondering if the freezing has something to do with the hdd or the lens.

I would appreciate your help.

If the problem is the HDD, of course it'll help.

But there's no guarantee that is the problem, especially as you already tried the Restore PS3 System option.

The lense shoudl have nothing to do with freezing in the XMB, and HDD if bad can cause freezing, since data has to be loaded from the HDD.

You can go ahead and try replacing it, and see if it helps.  Two of my friends with slim systems have had similar issues, but restoring file system helped for one, restoring the PS3 completely helped for the other.

I am going to format the hdd first on my PC before replacing it and see if that works.

My PS3 is still under warranty but I do not plan to send it yet, that will be my last option.

I'll update later.. 

Message 3 of 26 (4,678 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 04/18/2008
Offline
628 posts
 

Re: Help! If a change my PS3 hdd will it stop freezing and lagging??

Jun 24, 2011

Street_Wizard_ wrote:

Hi everyone!

My PS3 Slim 160Gb is almost 6 months old and in the past 3 weeks it has been kind of slow in the XMB menu, loading games, freezing and lagging at times.. So I went into Safe Mode to Restore File System but it didn't fix the problem even though for some people it worked. My last option was to Restore PS3 System which I did but now the problem has gotten even worse to point I can't play any games.

I really don't know much about these things and I was wondering if the freezing has something to do with the hdd or the lens.

I would appreciate your help.

How full is the hard drive?

Message 4 of 26 (4,678 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 12/30/2009
Offline
1344 posts
 

Re: Help! If a change my PS3 hdd will it stop freezing and lagging??

Jun 24, 2011

That could be a possibility. If data transfers at a slow rate, then that's not normal. You can clearly see how It affects gameplay. Try replacing them and see what happens. If not, then this could be the Motherboard itself.

Message 5 of 26 (4,678 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 06/20/2011
Offline
13 posts
 

Re: Help! If a change my PS3 hdd will it stop freezing and lagging??

Jun 24, 2011

The drive is pretty much empty, no images, photos ,videos or games just PS3 saved data.

I recently format the hdd to fat32 with Gparted on my PC and put it back into the PS3. I turned the machine on, then I'm prompted with the message "Connect the controller using a USB cable, and then press the PS button."

Then it says "The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to  try to restart the system.

If the system cannot be restarted, the system  partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall  the system software. Connect storage media that contains update data of  version 3.66 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at  the same time."

So I connect my storage device with the v.3.66 and press START and SELECT buttons. The system began to check my device and then displays a message saying "No applicable update data was found".

I don't know if I am missing something but I just can't get past this message and I am starting to lose it.

Message 6 of 26 (4,678 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 03/10/2008
Offline
19370 posts
 

Re: Help! If a change my PS3 hdd will it stop freezing and lagging??

Jun 24, 2011

Street_Wizard_ wrote:

The drive is pretty much empty, no images, photos ,videos or games just PS3 saved data.

I recently format the hdd to fat32 with Gparted on my PC and put it back into the PS3. I turned the machine on, then I'm prompted with the message "Connect the controller using a USB cable, and then press the PS button."

Then it says "The system software cannot be run correctly. Press the PS button to  try to restart the system.

If the system cannot be restarted, the system  partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall  the system software. Connect storage media that contains update data of  version 3.66 or later, and then press the START and SELECT buttons at  the same time."

So I connect my storage device with the v.3.66 and press START and SELECT buttons. The system began to check my device and then displays a message saying "No applicable update data was found".

I don't know if I am missing something but I just can't get past this message and I am starting to lose it.


When did you downlaod the update file and save it to your flash drive?  All day yesterday the lInk at the bottom, even though it said 3.66, hadn't been updated to 3.66.  Now it is the correct link, though.  You may want to re-download it, and try again.

And make sure you create the correct folders (PS3, with an UPDATE folder inside (all caps) and save the update file inside the UPDATE folder.

Message 7 of 26 (4,678 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/16/2008
Offline
7785 posts
 

Re: Help! If a change my PS3 hdd will it stop freezing and lagging??

Jun 24, 2011

You should make regular backups of your PS3 save games onto a USB thumb drive or the Online Storage.

You need to put the firmware update in the proper folder on a USB hard drive or thumb drive. The drive must be formatted as FAT for the PS3 to recognize it; NTFS won't work. Follow the PC Update instructions.

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm

Message 8 of 26 (4,678 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 06/20/2011
Offline
13 posts
 

Re: Help! If a change my PS3 hdd will it stop freezing and lagging??

Jun 24, 2011

Yesterday I did it and created the 2 folders all caps and saved the firmware in the UPDATE one. A few hours ago, I downloaded it again and put it on a CD-R because some guy did and it worked for him, I was a little skeptical at first and yeah I was right, I did not help me.   

And yes, I have the drive format but in FAT32 no FAT. Or it has to be just FAT?

Message 9 of 26 (4,678 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 03/10/2008
Offline
19370 posts
 

Re: Help! If a change my PS3 hdd will it stop freezing and lagging??

Jun 24, 2011

Ive used cdrs myself. It works just fine.

The problem is you downloaded the wrong update file. They did not update the download link yesterday while they did update the information.

Message 10 of 26 (4,678 Views)
Reply
0 Likes