Apr 01 2010
By: LivingMetal Treasure Hunter 6621 posts

Help! Disc is stuck in PS3 Slim. [UPDATE!!!]

14 replies 6888 views Edited Apr 1, 2010

I have a DVD that's stuck in my PS3 Slim.  I've already tried to hold the eject button for more that 10 sec.  Nothing.  I tried to manually eject the disc by using a screwdriver in a hole underneath and turning it counterclockwise.  So far nothing as well.  I hear a clicking noise when turning the screwdriver.  How loud is it suppose to be?  I'm not happy about this.

Update:

The disc finally came out this morning.  I think it was the disc's fault, NOT the PS3.  Apparently, the movie I borrowed was bought from a movie rental store because I found the top surface was very sticky.  It was probably the adhesive residue left from the video store CD/DVD label found on some video rental discs.  I just hope my PS3 was not damaged during the process of watching the movie and later trying to get the disc out.

Message 4 of 15 (6,888 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
242 posts

Re: Help! Disc is stuck in PS3 Slim.

Apr 1, 2010

The simplest way is unplugging the system, detach the screws from the casing to reveal the internal hardware, and see if you can try to get your DVD out that way.  If you're still concerned, call Sony or another technician to fix this problem.  I would throw up if any anti-piracy issues become the reason my DVD/BRD gets stuck in my PS3 - where I can't get it out...  that would be similar to an ATM machine confiscating a suspicious debit card.

Do I look like someone who really cares what God thinks?!
Sorry, I do not offer any one-on-one troubleshooting or support via PM or e-mail.
----------------------
PS3 Slim 120GB
20" Acer X203H LCD @ 720p
Creative MF0320, 2ch
Message 1 of 15 (6,888 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6621 posts

Apr 1, 2010

autofusion wrote:

The simplest way is unplugging the system, detach the screws from the casing to reveal the internal hardware, and see if you can try to get your DVD out that way.  If you're still concerned, call Sony or another technician to fix this problem.  I would throw up if any anti-piracy issues become the reason my DVD/BRD gets stuck in my PS3 - where I can't get it out...  that would be similar to an ATM machine confiscating a suspicious debit card.

So will opening the PS3 Slim in this manner void the warranty?  What's stuck in the PS3 is a legit copy of 8 Miles on DVD.

Message 2 of 15 (6,888 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3210 posts

Apr 1, 2010

LivingMetal wrote:

So will opening the PS3 Slim in this manner void the warranty?  What's stuck in the PS3 is a legit copy of 8 Miles on DVD.

If you break the warranty sticker your warranty is null and void.  Be forewarned.

Message 3 of 15 (6,888 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6621 posts

Apr 1, 2010

Update: see original post.

Message 5 of 15 (6,888 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39516 posts

Re: Help! Disc is stuck in PS3 Slim. [UPDATE!!!]

Apr 1, 2010

LivingMetal wrote:

I have a DVD that's stuck in my PS3 Slim.  I've already tried to hold the eject button for more that 10 sec.  Nothing.  I tried to manually eject the disc by using a screwdriver in a hole underneath and turning it counterclockwise.  So far nothing as well.  I hear a clicking noise when turning the screwdriver.  How loud is it suppose to be?  I'm not happy about this.

Update:

The disc finally came out this morning.  I think it was the disc's fault, NOT the PS3.  Apparently, the movie I borrowed was bought from a movie rental store because I found the top surface was very sticky.  It was probably the adhesive residue left from the video store CD/DVD label found on some video rental discs.  I just hope my PS3 was not damaged during the process of watching the movie and later trying to get the disc out.

Glad you got it out, what a relief huh.

Have you been able to try other discs, games or BR's in there, any problems since?

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 6 of 15 (6,888 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3196 posts

Apr 1, 2010

how would a sticky residue on top of a disc do anything?

Message 7 of 15 (6,888 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6621 posts

Re: Help! Disc is stuck in PS3 Slim. [UPDATE!!!]

Apr 1, 2010

BRIT-KO wrote:

LivingMetal wrote:

Update:

Glad you got it out, what a relief huh.

Have you been able to try other discs, games or BR's in there, any problems since?

I placed two CD in my PS3 this morning.  Both read fine, both ejected.  So far, so good.

Message 8 of 15 (6,888 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6621 posts

Apr 1, 2010

BRIGGSEE wrote:

The entire top surface of the disc had adhesive.  I can only guess that when trying to eject the disc, the adhesive is catching on to something to prevent it from coming out easily.  I do not know the mechanics of the drive so it's only a logical guess.

Message 9 of 15 (6,888 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3196 posts

Apr 1, 2010

LivingMetal wrote:

BRIGGSEE wrote:

The entire top surface of the disc had adhesive.  I can only guess that when trying to eject the disc, the adhesive is catching on to something to prevent it from coming out easily.  I do not know the mechanics of the drive so it's only a logical guess.

I wasnt sure either thats why I was asking. I figured if the top was smothered in pine tar it wouldnt really matter

Message 10 of 15 (6,888 Views)
0 Likes