Uncharted Territory
1844 posts

Re: Have you sent in your PS3 for repairs? If so, your answers are here!!!

Jun 30, 2009
Message 5680 of 6,010 (6 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 30, 2009

yes i sent my ps3 to sony because my ps3 keeps freezing!!!!!

Message 5681 of 6,010 (6 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 2, 2009

First, thanks for setting up this thread.  It has been very useful to me in deciding how to proceed with my PS3.

Last night, while playing Ghostbusters, my PS3 froze and then shut itself down.  When I tried to turn it on (several times over), the LED was green, then flashed yellow, the system beeped three times, and then the LED began flashing red.

I have a launch 60GB PS3 that I bought in December of 2007.  About six weeks ago I replaced the 60GB harddrive with a Seagate Momentus 500GB (the 7200 RPM variety).  Since I upgraded I have had three or four instances where my PS3 would not boot, giving me the "The Correct Hard Disk Was Not Found" error.  These errors were always remedied by turning off the main power switch on the back, a technique I learned from a few Google searches.

Based on what I have read today (including several pages of this thread) the flashing red LED seems to be a common problem (especially on the 60GB launch units).  I just ordered a coffin today via the online request form.  I will update this thread as my repair progresses.

However, I have a few questions that I think you regulars on this thread might be able to answer:

Should I have gone with a 5400 RPM upgrade drive? - I'm worried that the heat generated by faster 7200 RPM drive contributed to my problem, though I researched this pre-upgrade and determined it to be low-risk.

Do we know for certain what problem the flashing red LEDS indicate?  Or could it be anything ranging from solder-contact issues to power supply unit failure?

My current PS3 has backwards compatibility with PS2 games - will the unit I receive back from Sony (be it repaired or refurbished) still have the PS2 compatibility?

Message 5682 of 6,010 (6 Views)
Lombax Warrior
163 posts

Jul 2, 2009
How do i get the coffin? Do i have to call sony? Does it cost money to a coffin shipped to you?
cys9316
Message 5683 of 6,010 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
175 posts

Jul 2, 2009
I'll be totally honest, I never even heard of a PlayStation 3 having to be sent in for service repairs. My PlayStation 3 has lasted me a good while. What could possibly go wrong? I had one instance where I installed a Samsung 250GB HDD into my PS3 and booted it up and started loading stuff on, and the PS3 would freeze. I sent the Samsung back after finding it was the HDD and replaced it with a SEGATE 160GB. That's it. I always cover my PlayStation 3 when I'm not playing it to prevent dust buildup and keep the parts inside from having any excuse to ignite and cause damage. And I'm still doing fine. My Xbox 360 is a different story. I'm on my third one. Its always breaking and I'm tired of it. This is honestly a supprise to me.
Message 5684 of 6,010 (6 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Jul 2, 2009

cys9316 wrote:
How do i get the coffin? Do i have to call sony? Does it cost money to a coffin shipped to you?

You do not need to call Sony.

Go here: http://www.us.playstation.com/support/ps3

Select "Service"

They will not send you a coffin until you give them payment information, at which point they will place a $150.00 hold on the credit card you use.

Message 5685 of 6,010 (6 Views)
WWX
Uncharted Territory
1915 posts

Jul 2, 2009

cys9316 wrote:

You only need to call them if your 2nd unit fails as mine did. It will come up as "no warranty" even though there is a 90 day warranty.

Message 5686 of 6,010 (6 Views)
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Jul 5, 2009

I had to send mine off 2 times.  I noticed that the 2nd time I got a gold colored, round, QA sticker.  I put a note in with it, telling them to check to make sure it works before shipping it back.  I was infuriated because the first time they sent it to me no disks could be inserted.  I'm happy to report it works perfectly this time.

So after two months with no PS3 (that's about a month of waiting to have the money) It was fixed correctly the 2nd time.

CECHG01 model 40 GB PS3.  Purchased at Best Buy in January 2008.  Would not play PS3 titles or Blu Ray movies.  Everything else worked.  June 1, 2009 called Sony.  Received box on June 4th.  They recieved it on June 9th.  I recieved it back on June 17th.  I noticed a long white sticker underneath it. It has my SR # on it.  Disks could not be inserted.  I turned the unit on, blue light would flash, ejecting noises.  Demos would work only if you hit the eject button, once, each time the unit was powered on.

Called sony the same day, got coffin on June 23, 2009.  They could to do any over night delievery both ways, I asked since they didn't get it right the first time.  Got email that billing information was recieved on June 30th.  Received unit on July 3.  Noticed a round QA sticker on the bottom of unit.  I guess meaning that they had tested it.

Free userbarsFree userbarsFree userbarsFree userbarsFree userbars

40GB PS3 CECHG01 purchased January 2008. blu-ray failure fixed? recieved June17, 2009 came back broken. Disks won't go in. Returned July 3, 2009. Repaired with gold QA sticker attatched this time, works perfectly. Thank you.*UPDATE-December 21, 2009 drive decideds to read blu ray disks and others only when it wants to. Ordered new laser on ebay and replaced it myself 12/31/2009.

Message 5687 of 6,010 (6 Views)
Splicer
63 posts

Jul 5, 2009

MRodUF wrote:

First, thanks for setting up this thread.  It has been very useful to me in deciding how to proceed with my PS3.

Last night, while playing Ghostbusters, my PS3 froze and then shut itself down.  When I tried to turn it on (several times over), the LED was green, then flashed yellow, the system beeped three times, and then the LED began flashing red.

I have a launch 60GB PS3 that I bought in December of 2007.  About six weeks ago I replaced the 60GB harddrive with a Seagate Momentus 500GB (the 7200 RPM variety).  Since I upgraded I have had three or four instances where my PS3 would not boot, giving me the "The Correct Hard Disk Was Not Found" error.  These errors were always remedied by turning off the main power switch on the back, a technique I learned from a few Google searches.

Based on what I have read today (including several pages of this thread) the flashing red LED seems to be a common problem (especially on the 60GB launch units).  I just ordered a coffin today via the online request form.  I will update this thread as my repair progresses.

However, I have a few questions that I think you regulars on this thread might be able to answer:

Should I have gone with a 5400 RPM upgrade drive? - I'm worried that the heat generated by faster 7200 RPM drive contributed to my problem, though I researched this pre-upgrade and determined it to be low-risk.

Do we know for certain what problem the flashing red LEDS indicate?  Or could it be anything ranging from solder-contact issues to power supply unit failure?

My current PS3 has backwards compatibility with PS2 games - will the unit I receive back from Sony (be it repaired or refurbished) still have the PS2 compatibility?

I had the same problem with the "correct hard drive not found error" I found out that it sometimes happens if you install a SATA 3.0Gb/S. So I switched to a 1.5Gb/s and it worked fine.  As for the speed of the hard drive 7200 vs 5400 RPM that shouldn't matter.

Message 5688 of 6,010 (6 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2008 posts

Jul 5, 2009

cys9316 wrote:

Read the very first post in this thread for all your answers I'm sure you'll have.

Message 5689 of 6,010 (6 Views)
0 Likes