Oct 28 2009
By: tjnamtiw Uncharted Territory 2008 posts

Have you sent in your PS3 for repairs? If so, your answers are here!!!

6009 replies 25374 views Edited Oct 28, 2009

Earlier this week we had a thread going for those of us who have sent in their PS3's for service so that we can all keep each other informed as to the status of the repairs.  Unfortunately, we were sucked into a shouting match with a certain individual who got our thread locked out.  I propose we try again with one difference - do NOT respond to ANYONE who wants to change the subject or tell us how well their system works.  Simply don't answer them.

Tell us how long you've been waiting for repairs, when you get your unit back, what condition it was in as recieved, and what error message you got to prompt you to return it.  Let's help each other out!

My unit went belly up in March 31st, 2008.  The symptoms were a loss of sound part way  through COD4 game and then a blank screen at the end of the match.  Restarted and the same thing happened a couple of times.  Then I got the error that it would not read any disks - 80010514.  Everything else worked but it wouldn't read DVD or BluRay.  This was shortly after installing the latest update at that time for both the PS3 and COD4.

THIS IS GOOD INFO FROM Schang42S:

So then... I pulled out the receipt to review the terms and condition, and saw on the bottom of the paper were two locations:

Exchange Center

Suite P

Repair Center

Suite F

both with the same address number and city/state...

cys9316 wrote:
How do i get the coffin? Do i have to call sony? Does it cost money to a coffin shipped to you?

MRODUF SAID:

You do not need to call Sony.

Go here: http://www.us.playstation.com/support/ps3

Select "Service"

They will not send you a coffin until you give them payment information, at which point they will place a $150.00 hold on the credit card you use. 

He also said this, which is VERY GOOD INFORMATION:

As I mentioned before, I had upgraded my stock hard drive ("HD").  Since I do not want to lose the new HD, I am sending my broken PS3 back with the stock HD.  I encountered a problem at this point though: I wanted to wipe all of my data off the stock HD before sending it back, but I could not turn on my PS3 to use its built-in formatting utility and my PC would not initialize the PS3 HD using my external enclosure.  I did some searching and found out that I could use SwissKnife, a free formatting and partitioning utility, to render the PS3 drive readable to my PC.  I then used KillDisk on the now readable HD to wipe and rewrite all of the sectors on the disk to zeroes (admittedly this was probably a little overboard).  Now I am ready to send my PS3 for repairs without worrying about any residual personal information on my stock HD.

cys9316 wrote:
How do i get the coffin? Do i have to call sony? Does it cost money to a coffin shipped to you?

WWX REPLIED:

You only need to call them if your 2nd unit fails as mine did. It will come up as "no warranty" even though there is a 90 day warranty.

You might also want to check out this thread if you have gotten the Yellow Light of Death.........  http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=3390905

And this thread that details the trials and tribulations of repairing the laser reader if you get disk read errors.  This one is NOT for the non-technical bunch out there.   http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=3549879

On Dec 20, 2008 Mets-Jets reported that Sony repaired his console eventhough he had opened it, but he had to pay the $150 charge.  At least, they didn't care that he had opened it.  Good to know that you can try to fix it yourself and as long as you don't REALLY screw things up, you can get it fixed........  Don't expect to get it fixed if you have the guts all screwed up, though.  Opening it to clean the laser lenses would, I guess, be OK.

Also, DON'T send in that console with your bigger HDD that you upgraded.  Put the original in.  Here is an entry from 2/20/09:

((Tuggie wrote:

I sent mine in for exchange which had a 100GB Hitachi 7200 and the one I just got back has a 60GB HD. I talked to a Rep, when I was first going through the motions to get it fixed, and told him I had a different, larger HD then the standard one shipped with the PS3. I was told that a note would be made in my repair order that to swap out the my HD with the standard HD and to just keep my HD in there with no problems.

I just called customer service and am now forced to wait 3-4 days in a time span of 4 hours for someone to get back to me on that. I can't find my recipt but lucky for me I read the Consumorist and took lots and lots of pictures of my PS3, HD, et., etc. So yeah, make sure you let people know to place a nicely writen note or not to even put their HD in there...cause now I feel stupid.))

One other thing that appears to be happening now (Feb 2009) is that you may get two emails telling you that you are getting two tracking numbers.  One is for the 'coffin' and the other is for when you put the included return UPS label on the coffin with your console in it.  Here is a response from SirFleetaLot that explains this:       

I had the same 2 email thing happen to me.  A 4 pound and 16 pound.  Like was mentioned above, it was one empty box (well styrofoam and instructions) to put the broken PS3 in and the other tracking number was the sticker sitting inside the box that you put over the old label to send it back to get repaired.

And Silkypimp adds this on 2/19/09:::  That probably means that you are getting a refurbished one from the exchange center and not the repair center. I went through it once and the repair center was 3 day select and the exchange center was 2 day air.  Hopefully for you, it's the exchange center. Mine looked brand new when it came back from there. What's the suite number on the return label. Suite P is exchange. F is repair.

Here's some good info if you have a game stuck in the machine but it goes to the exchange facility - ''They will send you your game back but it will be a week or 2 until they do, Its all about logistics. The repair center is where they tear them down at and when your old console goes there it will be disassembled and your game retrieved, Unfortunately they dont do that at the exchange facility so even after you get your refurb exchange system your original PS3 is sitting somewhere waiting to be refurbed with your game still sitting in it. "

ajcadoo has started/updated a thread for those who have the specific Yellow Light of Death here.....  http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=3629439

Additions:

Ajcadoo sent me this graphic rundown on the repair process time table at this time (November 2008).  It should help answer your questions.

If your unit will not read any disks or refuses to start, you have no alternative, unless you want to throw it out the window, but to call Sony support or use their on-line service request form at https://service.us.playstation.com/online-request.asp.  If your unit is less than one year old AND you have a receipt, they will send you a box commonly called a 'coffin' which typically takes 3 to 5 business days to get to you.  If you do NOT have a receipt, in almost all cases listed in this thread, people have had to pay $150 US for them to send the coffin.  They have been pretty firm with that requirement.  You can argue with them but it is a real long shot that you will win.  The same link I gave above will have a link to telephone support. 

If it has been over one year since you purchased your PS3, then you have no choice but to pay them $150 if you want it fixed.  It doesn't matter what the problem is.  If they tell you to send it in for repair, they will ask you for $150 on a credit card.  If you have a credit card that offers to double any factory warranty, use it!!!  When you get your unit back, it will have a three month warranty if it was over a year old.  If it was still under the initial one year warranty, then the NEW warranty will be either 3 months or the rest of your original warranty, which ever is longer.

When you get your coffin, it will come with a return UPS label in the US or Purolator in Canada. 

Ajcado also gave me these copies of the paperwork that you will get with the coffin.  They explain a lot about the process:

Paperwork from Sony Email-PDF FORMAT (after calling):

PAGE 1 of 2

PAGE 2 of 2

Paperwork inside "The Coffin" 

PAGE 1 of 2

PAGE 2 of 2 (Probably the best one if you are going to use any of these)

The return shipping is overnight.  MAKE SURE YOU WRITE DOWN THE TRACKING NUMBER so you can trace it and make sure it has arrived.  In the box will be directions and a diagram showing you how to package your console.  Make sure you follow them EXACTLY.  At first, people had to send everything back in including the controllers and cables.  Lately, only the console has to be returned (in most cases).  Just do what the instructions say EXACTLY.  Also, if you have a disc stuck in the machine and you can't get it out because it won't turn on, there is a place on the paperwork for you to note this.  Write down what disk it is and highlight it with a colored magic marker so they can't miss it.  Everyone that has posted here with that problem has gotten their disk back.

You have to take it to a UPS service center or hand it to any driver.  Once they get it, it is now taking them anywhere from the same day to a week to repair it.  They send it back to you 3 day select which, for some reason, takes 5 days or more.  You will also get a call from UPS telling you that someone over 21 has to sign for the package.  Some younger people have successfully signed for it but if no one is home, UPS will try to redeliver it one time (I believe).  If no one is going to be home, call Sony or UPS and  make arrangements to have it delivered to a neighbor who is home or to your or your parents' office.   

During this process you can check the status of your repair under the 'Support'' tab at the top of the page; however, Sony updates the info very slowly and in most cases now, the unit is on its way back to you before they even tell you they started working on it. 

What kind of unit will you get in return?  If you look through this thread, you will see that there is no guaranteed answer to this one.  Some people get their original units back while others get 'refurbished' units.  ALWAYS, people have gotten back the same kind of unit (40,60,80 gig) that they sent in.  With the new stripped down models coming out, I don't know if this will continue.  Yes, there might be scratches on the refurbished unit that were not on the original you sent them.  Call Sony and complain if they are unacceptable.  Mine and many others have come back in pristine condition with protective plastic on the console.  It's a crap shoot.

If you can't get your unit to turn on, then you can't save your game data.  You have to pray that they send your same unit back.  You can also ask them if you can keep your HDD, which you can take out easily.  Some people have been able to do that.  If it will turn on, then you can use a thumb drive or external HDD to save your game data.  Use the XMB to go to the game area and hit the triangle key to save data.  When you run the backup utility you should see how big the file is that it will create.  How big is that?  The backup will include all items on the hard drive that you've put there (ie movie trailers, game trailers, downloadable content--demos, full games, as well as of course game saves).  If you don't mind re-downloading some items, then you can uninstall games/demos and delete game trailers until you get down the the size of your memory stick.  Or get a USB external hard drive (one that is at least ast big as your PS3's hard drive) and then back up to that.  You need to make sure that the USB hard drive is formatted in FAT 32 though before the PS3 will backup to it.  You CANNOT save the games you downloaded from the store!  When you get your new unit, you have to log back in to the store and reload your games.  They have your account saved and you can download everything.  (Thanks to Freemantim for some of this paragraph!)

At this point, I can't think of anything else so, if you have other questions, look through the posts.  It really doesn't take as long as you think.  You can also use the 'search' function which should help.  And you can also just post a question at the end of the post.  There is a large group of people who are monitoring the thread and stand ready to help you. 

Minal187 had these comments for those of you in Canada.  I hope it helps you:

1. do you get a refurb or your own?

you get your own (that's what i got) and it tells you what parts were repaired and whatnot.  Janedo tells me (10/28/09) that you get a refurbished unit if it has the YLOD.

2. does it have a lot of scratches/ cosmetic issues?

mine did not come back with scratches, but it didn't come back all new either. they give you what you got, so whatever scratches you had is what your gonna get back (it says on the paper if you had any scratches when they recieved the ps3)

3. how long does it usually take to send your ps3 and whatnot?

after i made the phone call i recieved the box in 2 days. (i had to spend 4 days after at bestbuy for a new receipt and 4 days again for a new pre-paid shipping slip as mine didn't come with one, but that's another story) so i sent my ps3 on  tuesday sept 2 and they recieved it on thursday. it took them 4 days to repair it and they sent it back and i recieved it today (sept 10) so 8 days. 

4. do you get the same model of ps3 you got?

yes as they repaired your one originally. if not then it usually is the same model. i checked out the four usb ports and the card slot i had and there still there.

5. if you send an old 80gb do you still keep B/C?

yes as you get the same model. i tested spiderman 2 for ps2 on it and the intro runs fine. i have still yet to find out if it runs correctly. i'll probably be testing it with spiderman 2, final fantasy 12, metal gear 1,2, and 3.

if a lot of people ask about this then i might post my test results later.

6. is there any other problems with the ps3 you get back?

i am currently testing everything. the only thing i noticed was that the fan ran a little louder when i started up ps2 games. i did not play a lot of ps2 games in the past so i don't know if that is normal or not. also after about 10 minutes or so the fan is a little louder. not by a lot. it might be regular as i notice it now but that may be because i haven't played the ps3 in 10 days and i just notice it now. they might've adjusted the fan a little higher i don't know. i trust you it isn't as loud as the other console. i will be probably playing ps3 for  the next week to see if the fan holds up like this. i'll post this answer fast.

if you have any other questions for CANADIAN ps3's then ask me. please don't ask for U.S ps3's as they send refurbs (unless your a 60gb/20gb owner) and there have been a lot of cases with the ps3's in the U.S

The NatiKid submitted this:

Something that everyone who sends in for repairs should know: Even though Sony says they will not charge your credit card when you put it in for the repair request they do freeze the funds. I was expecting those funds to be available to me until the repair was authorized. If you're not aware of this you may end up over-drafting your bank account

Thanks to Woobieizer for this info on WalMart's Extended Warranty:
wanted to share what I have experienced thus far on an

Extended Warranty purchased w/ WalMart handeled via NEW-ARC Asurion

8/08/2007 DOP EW covers after manufacture 8/07/2010 (first gaming system, being prudent)

8/18/2009 DOD 2:30 AM

8/18/2009 Called Warranty provided number start my case.  27/7

8/19/2009 recieved email with instrucion on what to expect Pasted below

8/21/2009 Got Snail Mail UPS label.. expected email label, 24 hours after above noted email.

8/21/2009 called Asurion concering boxing instrunction.  Told no go, asked for Super.. told no go..

8/21/2009 called Warranty provider to remind them of the Bold Lettered statement "NO OUT OF POCKET EXPENSE" Super.. good to go..

8/21/2009 shipped my PS3 in the PS3 box

8/24/2009 tracked my packaged UPS web "Delivered" Morning

8/24/2009 recieved automated call "delivered" 5:43 PM 

8/28/2009 UPS drops off shipment 4:45 PM

8/28/2009 System unboxed, powerd on, check PSN messages. I shut her down.

8/28/2009 Called Warranty provider number  ask for confirmation of warranty lenght, as well as documented, letterhead stating what exactly was repaired

8/28/2009 recieved a automated call with (belated new) tracking number. Yes the package had arrived prior to the dispacth as described. 

PPl, I don't have all my question answered, and it certinally isn't the most perfect execution of a service call

But I am 10 days turn around w/ a unit that i've check my messages with.  Hard gaming will

commence as soon as she get finished telling all the inquisitve neighbor electronic devices of her near death experience

"I saw this glowing, hairnet/beardnet loving face, hold it out his and saying.."come back to the green lite"

Please read all instructions before sending your defective product

BEFORE SEALING YOUR PACKAGE PLEASE ENSURE THE FOLLOWING:

·         DO NOT send cords, controllers, battery packs or other accessories.

We only need your console to repair your unit.   If one of your accessories is defective and you need us to repair it, please be sure to place a check next to the accessories you are including in your shipping box:

Game Controller ________      Power Cord ________                AV Cables _________

Hard Drive (size?) ________    Video Game (name of game?) __________________  

Other _________________________________________________________________

·         Include a brief description below of the problem you are having with your unit.

Description of problem: _______________________________________________________________­_
______

Packaging Instructions

The Carton-- Please DO NOT ship your unit in the retail store packaging.  Package in a sturdy cardboard box that has enough space for extra packing material. 

The Packing Material-please use plastic or foam packing-peanuts to prevent damage during shipping. The game player should be wrapped in bubble wrap or plastic wrap to keep the peanuts from getting inside. A plastic bag taped shut will also work. GAME CONSOLES THAT ARE SHIPPED WITHOUT PADDING MAY BECOME DAMAGED DURING TRANSIT.  PLEASE BE SURE TO ADD SOME KIND OF PADDING TO THE SHIPPING BOX. Finally, make sure the box does not have any old shipping labels on it. 

Shipping

You will be receiving a pre-paid UPS shipping label from pkginfo@ups.com in a separate e-mail within 24 hours.  Once you receive the label, print it out and affix it to the outside of your shipment and drop off at any UPS shipping location.  (Locations can be located at:  http://www.ups.com/dropoff)

If you have not received the second e-mail within 24 hours please look in either your spam or junk e-mail before calling customer support.

Contacting our repair facility

When we receive your unit here at our facility you will receive an automated call from our "Soundbite" system.  After your unit is repaired and shipped out, you will receive a second call from Soundbite which will also provide a tracking number for you.  For any other questions regarding your repair, please call us at 1-866-228-6351.  You can also reach us by email at NEW-ARC@asurion.com.  When possible, please have reference number available (your reference number can be found at the bottom of your shipping label or on the mailing label on this envelope next to your name).  All inquiri es will be responded to within 24 hours (inquiries received on weekends or holidays will be responded to on the next business day).  Our hours of operation are Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm (CST). 

Thank You,

AsurionRepair CenterService Team

The end of the Woobieizer info

Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 09-13-2008 07:30 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 09-13-2008 07:50 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 09-13-2008 08:26 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 09-13-2008 08:41 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 09-14-2008 06:34 AM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 09-15-2008 06:05 AM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 09-18-2008 06:46 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 11-20-2008 01:13 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 11-23-2008 07:48 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 12-02-2008 07:26 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 12-02-2008 07:31 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 12-11-2008 08:23 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 12-20-2008 10:47 AM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 01-07-2009 09:54 AM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 01-09-2009 05:34 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 02-17-2009 04:41 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 02-17-2009 04:42 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 02-19-2009 04:55 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 02-20-2009 04:32 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 02-25-2009 07:36 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 05-19-2009 08:25 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 07-05-2009 04:49 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 07-05-2009 04:53 PM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 07-09-2009 05:00 AM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 08-29-2009 10:48 AM
Message Edited by tjnamtiw on 10-28-2009 04:09 PM
Message 5884 of 6,010 (25,374 Views)
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Re: Have you sent in your PS3 for repairs?

Apr 3, 2008

I agree.

My 60 landed in Texas on or about 3/26/2008.

System froze all the time multiple game disks and XMB.

Eventually it would boot Green to Yellow to Flashing Red.

Still waiting for Sony backorder to ship. 

Message 1 of 6,010 (25,373 Views)
Wastelander
734 posts

Apr 3, 2008

tjnamtiw wrote:

Earlier this week we had a thread going for those of us who have sent in their PS3's for service so that we can all keep each other informed as to the status of the repairs.  Unfortunately, we were sucked into a shouting match with a certain individual who got our thread locked out.  I propose we try again with one difference - do NOT respond to ANYONE who wants to change the subject or tell us how well their system works.  Simply don't answer them.

Tell us how long you've been waiting for repairs, when you get your unit back, what condition it was in as recieved, and what error message you got to prompt you to return it.  Let's help each other out!

My unit has been in Texas since March 31st.  The symptoms were a loss of sound part way  through COD4 game and then a blank screen at the end of the match.  Restarted and the same thing happened a couple of times.  Then I got the error that it would not read any disks - 80010514.  Everything else worked but it wouldn't read DVD or BluRay.  This was shortly after installing the latest update at that time for both the PS3 and COD4.

Anyone else?  Remember don't respond to the antagonists.

The PS3 is perfect, never needed to send it in.  I am an antagonist, please respond to me. 

P.S. this thread will be locked 
Message 2 of 6,010 (25,373 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2445 posts

Apr 3, 2008
My brother got the infamous flashing red light, which is supposed to indicate some sort of overheating. The whole turn-around process took less than two weeks, and he got a refurb 40 GB which works better than new. Fortunately for him, SONY didn't make it too tough to get his unit replaced, and I hope everyone else has such good luck as he did.
Message 3 of 6,010 (25,373 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1668 posts

Apr 3, 2008
What town/city in Texas do you ship them to?
Message 4 of 6,010 (25,373 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
159 posts

Apr 3, 2008
I plan on never sending it in for repair
Message 5 of 6,010 (25,373 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2008 posts

Apr 3, 2008
Sorry, but I don't remember the city.  I'll see if I can find it.
Message 6 of 6,010 (25,373 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Apr 3, 2008
How do u send in a ps3 for repair? mine keeps freezing up and stuff....
Message 7 of 6,010 (25,373 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2008 posts

Apr 3, 2008

Kuban_Kevin wrote:
My brother got the infamous flashing red light, which is supposed to indicate some sort of overheating. The whole turn-around process took less than two weeks, and he got a refurb 40 GB which works better than new. Fortunately for him, SONY didn't make it too tough to get his unit replaced, and I hope everyone else has such good luck as he did.
Did he send in a 40 gig unit?  I didn't have the flashing red light, just the error message that it couldn't read disks.
Message 8 of 6,010 (25,373 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Apr 3, 2008

How do u send in a ps3 for repair? mine keeps freezing up and stuff....

You start by calling Sony they have to authorize it and give you a return number.

Then they ship you a box and instructions with a UPS shipping label to ship it back to them in Texas.

Then wait.

Message Edited by Speedcatz on 04-03-2008 07:47 PM
Message 9 of 6,010 (25,373 Views)
0 Likes