Oct 09 2013
By: xymox333 Lombax Warrior 240 posts

Have sony lost faith in the ps vita?

[ Edited ]
64 replies 479 views Edited Oct 9, 2013

When I read about the official ps4 link app, It made me wonder about the vita's future. all I have heard sony talk about since 2013 hit is remote-play, No games, just remote-play, and here we are nearing the end of the year and nothing's changed. I hate to say it. but sony seem to think remote-play is going to be a killer-app.

Remote-play is a great but it's not going to move many ps vita's, the majority of future ps4 owners are not talking about how they can't wait to get a ps vita and remote-play there ps4 games. They just want the ps4 and it's games, most don't care what happens to the ps vita.

Despite my first real gaming experience being on a portable. when I got the ps2 and got a taste gt3. I was like many home console players, I treated portable consoles like dirt, until my ps2 broke and I got a psp. My outlook changed, the psp was a great system and I asked myself "why didn't I get one sooner" The psp was so great, years later I ended buying the Ps vita.

And I am upset to see this system being turned into nothing but a 200$ controller, Games sell systems not remote-play. The only thing that's gonna move a game system is games, You can give a system a price drop, make it different colors, It can be 3d or have a tablet gamepad. But what makes a system is it's games.

When people think of the playstation 2, they think about all the awesome games it had, we have seen remote-play fail pretty bad at selling a system, the Nivdia shield's main feature was to stream pc games and sell there graphics cards. But of course they pretended like it was built to push android to the next level, which seemed to be a lie.

Sony's banking off ps4 players to buy the vita for remote-play, just like Nvidia was banking off pc players to run out and get the shield (we saw how that turned out, Most pc players didn't even want it) It seems the ps vita is about to suffer the same fate. And end up just like the shield.

You don't have to agree with me, but let me know your opinions.  

Message 1 of 65 (479 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3316 posts

Re: Have sony lost faith in the ps vita?

Oct 9, 2013

I think Sony just doesn't really care to be honest as they are not the big money makers like their Xperia products and this is where Sony is focusing because this is how they are up and actually making a profit now which they have not done since 2008.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 2 of 65 (458 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
240 posts

Oct 9, 2013

kythunder wrote:

I think Sony just doesn't really care to be honest as they are not the big money makers like their Xperia products and this is where Sony is focusing because this is how they are up and actually making a profit now which they have not done since 2008.

This could be it, however, are you talking about the ps vita. Or just the game consoles in general.

Message 3 of 65 (443 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2013

They have admitted it hasn't sold well due to most casual gamers are now gaming on phones and tablets. But still they're putting a lot of effort in it. They will keep supporting it for a long time, just like they have supported the PS2 and PSP.

Sony isn't the one who lost faith in the Vita. They made almost all the good titles: Killzone Mercenary, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Little big planet, Sly Cooper, Wipeout, Ratchet and clank, Tearaway, Playstation Allstars etc. But it seems that third parties don't really dare to invest in creating Vita exclusives.

- Activision only released a bad COD port.

- Square Enix is only making a hd remastered version of FFX(-2), and some unknown titles instead of the great exclusives they made for the PSP.

- Rockstar did not do anything for the Vita. There has been a rumor that they have multiple Vita projects going on but so far they haven't made any official statements.

- EA only releases their ussual stuff like Fifa and NFS. Which aren't bad games but not system sellers like Battlefield.

- Ubisoft dared to invest and made Assassin's Creed Liberation which was decent. They also ported their Rayman games and some music titles. They didn't anounce any new big exclusives for next year though.

But things are starting to look up with Warner Bros releasing a batman game and a port of Gods Among Us and Gearbox porting Borderlands 2 to the Vita.

Message 4 of 65 (380 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4113 posts

Oct 9, 2013

There are lots of games that have come to PS Vita, from Indies to AAA and everything in-between.

Right now it's the lull before the storm.

More games are coming out later this month and the next ... Christmas and PS4 right around the corner. Remote Play is being talked about more than ever and there's nothing wrong with that since the PS4 is coming out very soon and will be a full Remote Play experience for PS Vita owners and a good reason for many people to buy a PS Vita if they haven't yet, so PlayStation is doing good on that.

Again and again the truth must be stated. In Japan handhelds sell like hotcakes. In other regions, particularly North America, consoles are the big sellers. We are on the brink of a new era with the PS4-PS Vita relationship.

PS Vita isn't losing out. It's gaining a whole new ability, and will continue to get it's own games too, just like it has all along.

For instance the best shooter game for PS Vita to date being Killzone: Mercenary ony came out just barely a month ago.

There will be more games coming out and more announced as time goes forward. Right now PS Vita is in it's 2nd year of life. Lots of PS1 and PSP games are playable on it, and there are lots of games that have been released.

Message 5 of 65 (365 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7402 posts

Oct 9, 2013

Leejjon wrote:

They have admitted it hasn't sold well due to most casual gamers are now gaming on phones and tablets. But still they're putting a lot of effort in it. They will keep supporting it for a long time, just like they have supported the PS2 and PSP.

Sony isn't the one who lost faith in the Vita. They made almost all the good titles: Killzone Mercenary, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Little big planet, Sly Cooper, Wipeout, Ratchet and clank, Tearaway, Playstation Allstars etc. But it seems that third parties don't really dare to invest in creating Vita exclusives.

- Activision only released a bad COD port.

- Square Enix is only making a hd remastered version of FFX(-2), and some unknown titles instead of the great exclusives they made for the PSP.

- Rockstar did not do anything for the Vita. There has been a rumor that they have multiple Vita projects going on but so far they haven't made any official statements.

- EA only releases their ussual stuff like Fifa and NFS. Which aren't bad games but not system sellers like Battlefield.

- Ubisoft dared to invest and made Assassin's Creed Liberation which was decent. They also ported their Rayman games and some music titles. They didn't anounce any new big exclusive though.

But things are starting to look up with Warner Bros releasing a batman game and a port of Gods Among Us and Gearbox porting Borderlands 2 to the Vita.

i think next E3 should be pretty interesting for psvita ( Hopefully we'll finally see God of War, inFAMOUS and Gran Turismo announcements) alongside new exclusive IPs. 

Message 6 of 65 (364 Views)
Survivor
2536 posts

Oct 9, 2013

Crazy-Maisy wrote:

Right now it's the lull before the storm.

Again and again the truth must be stated. In Japan handhelds sell like hotcakes. In other regions, particularly North America, consoles are the big sellers. We are on the brink of a new era with the PS4-PS Vita relationship.

People have been saying that since it started bombing in Japan back in Feb 2k12. And now the PSV is almost close to its second birthday. Furthermore, if handhelds sell like hotcakes in Japan, how come the PSV is selling 6k units weekly? How come the 3DS can sell 30k units per week in NA~?

That's right, because:

1. Your claims are urban myths.

2. Games are what sell a system~.

Underpowered as it may be, the 3DS has the games. Powerful as the PSV is, it doesn't have a strong selection of exclusive games and late ports won't tide over people who have already played said games on a home console. The PSV lost as much terrain as the Wii U did, whether the two will regain some ground or not is up to both Sony and Nintendo and the support they can provide for their bleeding systems~.

Also, I disagree with the people who said that Sony supported the PSP for a long time. They didn't. The last game they released for it was in 2k10, third parties are what kept the PSP alive. Sony left it to rot in the West~.

Message 7 of 65 (353 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
240 posts

Oct 9, 2013
Killzone mercenary was a great shooter that's true, But look at how many ps vita's it moved, pretty much none.

I wish people would stop acting like remote-play is gonna save the ps vita, because it's not. Only games will. And as JuanMdP put it, late ports are not helping the ps vita in anyway.

I wish if other vita owners would stop saying how the ps4 is gonna save the vita, The ps vita is not some cheap ps4 accessory, the ps vita is it's own system and sony needs start treating that way.
Message 8 of 65 (339 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13653 posts

Oct 9, 2013

xymox333 wrote:
Killzone mercenary was a great shooter that's true, But look at how many ps vita's it moved, pretty much none.

I wish people would stop acting like remote-play is gonna save the ps vita, because it's not. Only games will. And as JuanMdP put it, late ports are not helping the ps vita in anyway.

I wish if other vita owners would stop saying how the ps4 is gonna save the vita, The ps vita is not some cheap ps4 accessory, the ps vita is it's own system and sony needs start treating that way.

Regardless, it's not like Sony can do it all by themselves.

3rd party devs have to actually make games for it. Sony can only make so many with its studios, especially with PS4 coming up.

Sony is not like Nintendo, where they can just make 1-2 First party games, and that will instantly sell systems (e.g. Pokemon)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 65 (335 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Oct 9, 2013
What is this nonesense, remote play and games are not the same? Every PS4 title that has remote play capabilities is another game to the Vita library. While I do think that the Vita needs it's own games, remote play is drawing a lot of attention to the handheld.
Message 10 of 65 (198 Views)
0 Likes