Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 09 2013
By: sadlybeautiful Lombax Warrior 104 posts

Have I damaged my PS3?

3 replies 96 views Edited Jan 9, 2013
I recently knocked over my PS3 (160GB). I actually wound up kicking it over. It was sitting on my hard wood floor vertically and I accidentally kicked it on it's side. Even though it didn't fall from a distance it did hit the ground hard. Concerned, I tested it and it worked fine, Jump ahead now about two weeks; I turned it on last night and the fan was noticeably louder and the air coming out the back vents was hot, not warm like I remembered. Do you think I damaged my console and if so, what could I have damaged? Also, how warm is the air supposed to be that is pushed out of the vents? I can't imagine it's supposed to be hot unless something is wrong. I know the problem isn't due to overuse because I rarely use my PS3. I have owned it about one year. It is possible that it's natural for a year old 160GB model to suddenly wear down to the point that it has to work harder to distribute heat? I had my old 80GB model for 4 years before it got the YLOD. I can't understand why the slim model would start to struggle so early in it's lifecycle unless I damaged it somehow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (96 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

Re: Have I damaged my PS3?

Jan 9, 2013

If after the "kicking accident" you started to put you console in horizontal position it could result in it warming up faster, if its flat on a carpet then it will double for mini-stove.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (86 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7918 posts

Jan 9, 2013

It can get pretty hot if you are playing a graphically intense or fast paced game (like Wipeout HD, any of the Uncharted games or God of War III - among others).  If it gets hot just staring at the XMB, though, there could be something wrong.  If the fan is running, it is doubtful that anything is damaged.  If it gets too hot, the PS3 will shut itself down before it overheats.

Try unplugging it and use the hose from a vacuum to clean out any dust buildup from the vents around all sides of your PS3.  Also, make sure it has at least 8-10 inches of clearance on all sides, and preferably at least 12-18 inches on the back side (since most of the air is blown out the back).

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7551 posts

Jan 9, 2013
You might have jostled the heatsinks loose. That would cause reduced cooling efficiency.

Warmer air coming out of the exhaust is better, as the cooling system works to bring heat out of the system. If it's cool or cold even when playing a game, you might have a problem as heat from the GPU/CPU is not being exhausted.
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (59 Views)
0 Likes