Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Re: Hard drive update issues please help

Aug 31, 2011

ChooChoo_Charlie wrote:

restore file system.......a serious error has occurred. Contact tech support for assistance (8001002B)

I will try the update in the morning, dont want to wake the masses who are sleeping but I will keep you updated to the situation. thanks again

In this case, your error is probably "a Bad sector in the HDD"

As detailed here: http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/What-is-ERROR-8001002B/td-p/...

As for what to do, since the obvious solution is, in fact, what you just tried to do, contact Sony about this problem if nothing else fixes it (Contact them BEFORE you do anything that erases data)

Message 11 of 18 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Aug 31, 2011

Okay,  to clear some things up....You are trying to upgrade your PS3's HDD?

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/36263878#36263878 

go to response number 11 for the step by step instructions.

color tag 001

Message 12 of 18 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 31, 2011

Yes I am trying to upgrade/replace my HDD............F.Y.I. for sobia I put old HDD back in and the system came up......so its the new disk.......

Message 13 of 18 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 31, 2011

ok made a disc...cd-R   folder PS3 - UPDATE - D/L'd PS3UPDAT.pup put the disc in connected controller turned on the ps3 and

I am getting........Cannot start.   The correct hard disk was not found..........

I have the correct disk from what everyone is saying........a Western Digital 250gb 5400rpm Sata 2.5" HDD.........I have the 40gb system I guess.....thought it was the 30gb but the old drive says 40gb

.I do recall the mention of Firmware and the O/S does the ps3updat file have all that in it or do I have to D/L something else to the disc before going on to give the system somthing to boot off of? 

Message 14 of 18 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 31, 2011

got it........I had to bring the earlier methods in.........I put in the cd with the update hooked up the controller........flipped the switch in back held down the on/off button up front till it turned on and then off........then pressed it till the 2 beeps.....and went to the update option at the bottom and that did it..........I am good to go now.........so THANK YOU Sobia and Wakko for the help it is greatly greatly appreciated..........

Message 15 of 18 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2596 posts

Aug 31, 2011

The PS3 firmware has all the necessary files to install the Operating System, there should not be any additional downloads.

The only thing I can think of is that during your first attempt and possible fixes you tried  when it didn't go to plan, somehow the OS was only partially installed in some way.

I would call up SONY, check the corporate link at the bottom of this page to find the contact information.

Since you are not worrying about the loss of data on the new HDD (as it should be blank), I would ask them what would happen if you tried to use option #5 Restore PS3 System from the safe mode on a New HDD that has not been properly installed first try and are trying to put in to the PS3 OR would they recommend that you try to use #6 System Update (which is the safe mode prompt for installing a clean copy of the Firmware. And should work from the CD-R you burned with the file on it.)

Please call sony, because you really don't want to damage the ps3 at this point.

Edit: nevermind I was typing this up while you were getting it to work.....glad you got it working again.

color tag 001

Message 16 of 18 (165 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Aug 31, 2011

There are also instructions based on your PS3's serial number on what type of HDD to purchase. Not sure if that helps. I upgraded to a 360gig 2 years back. I had trouble at first but used a _blank_ usb drive attached with the files provided on playstation.com. I would suggest using that mode of transferring the system data.

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=362

Message 17 of 18 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Sep 1, 2011

lol I meant for you to do the system update through the safe mode screen, since you had problems starting the PS3 to beign with normally.  Happy to see you got it all fixed up, enjoy your game

Message 18 of 18 (165 Views)
0 Likes