Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 31 2011
By: ChooChoo_Charlie First Son 10 posts

Hard drive update issues please help

17 replies 239 views Edited Aug 31, 2011

so I used the WD 250gb 5400rpm 2.5inch sata drive........I backed up my data to a fat32 external.....I thought I had a 30gb system but it says 37gb in system info.  so I just pull straight out of the system the old drive.  Not the slide to the side type like in most other upgrades I have seen or read about.  replace it and boot it up, it says connect ps controller with usb cord and press ps button.  I do that and I get..........The system software cannot be run correctly.  Press the PS button to try to restart the system.

If the system cannot be restarted, the system partition of the hard disk must be reformatted and you must reinstall the system software.  Connect storage media that contains update data of version 3.66 or later, and then press the start and slesct buttons at the same time.

For information on how to obtain update data, refer to the sce web site for your region. 

So here I am trying to figure out whats wrong.  I did not format the new drive before installing it into the ps3 figured the ps3 would do that and then make it fat32.  They update I read about I put it on the fat32 and the NTFS partition of the external drive and hooked it up to the PS3 and rebooted still nothing. I am in Nebraska not sure the region or if that even matters.  not sure what else to do except for to ask for help.......any and all is greatly appreciated.........thank you

Message 1 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Re: Hard drive update issues please help

Aug 31, 2011

Can you start it up in safe mode?

Message 2 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 31, 2011

not sure how to do that on the ps3......I just start from ground zero and flip the switch in the back and hit the power button up front and it immediately goes to the connect the controller via usb cable and press the PS button to turn on.........I do that and it goes to that next screen

Message 3 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Aug 31, 2011

See if this works: Turn on the rocker switch in the back

System should be on standby (solid red light)

Hold in the power button until the system shuts itself off again

Let go of the button

No hold the power button in until you hear 2 beeps in rapid succession, and then let go of it

Should prompt you to plug in your controller and press the PS button

Do that, and you should see several options.  Let me know if this works.

Message 4 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 31, 2011

sweet something else .........got restart system

2. restore default settings

3. restore file system

4. rebuild database

5. restore ps3 system

6.system update

what do you think?

Message 5 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 31, 2011

I am thinking I should have read the manual when I got this.........I will have to put it on my list of things that will be helpful to do

Message 6 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Aug 31, 2011

Try the "Restore File System" option first.  Will check for corrupt data and restore it.  That helps for a lot of differnet issues.

If that doesn't work, try the System Update (you'll need a USB Flash Drive)

If THAT doesn't work, try to restore default settings

The Restore PS3 System IS THE LAST RESORT.  It will pave your HD and restore everything to factory settings.  Not sure if the Rebuild Database option would help, but again, these two are last options with Restore PS3 system being the ABSOLUTE LAST THING YOU TRY.  Look for other solutions before doing these because it erases all data.

Message 7 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 31, 2011

ok on that last resort thing I backed up the old data on the old HDD  to an external so I should be able to use that right? and for the usb flash drive how big are the updates?  So I can make sure I have one around somewhere that can handle it...........I might try a couple options and if they don't work start over in the morning if it does I will keep you informed I appreciate the help

Message 8 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Aug 31, 2011

restore file system.......a serious error has occurred. Contact tech support for assistance (8001002B)

I will try the update in the morning, dont want to wake the masses who are sleeping but I will keep you updated to the situation. thanks again

Message 9 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Aug 31, 2011

Not too entirely sure on how big they are, but they aren't too massive.  Any USB flash drive shoul do.  Here is a link on how to do it.

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm

That is the latest update as of today.

Your method (the safe modde method) will be slightly different since you are not navigating from the XMB, but you get the point.

The restore system files doesn't erase any data on your HD by the way, so feel free to try it.

Message 10 of 18 (239 Views)
0 Likes