Jan 07 2013
By: ryuken31 First Son 8 posts

Happy Birthday Nintendo Play Station

20 replies 897 views Edited Jan 7, 2013

Hello all anyways came to say happybirthday to Play Station it 22 years old today.

It the Great Grand Dad to the PS3.This would not be possible with out Nintendo say THX.9fip2h.jpg16bitplaystationnintendft8.jpgegm-snes-cd-1992-article.jpglarge.jpgSNESPlay1.jpgsony_famicom_back.jpgsony_famicom_front.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 21 (897 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Re: Happy Birthday Nintendo Play Station

Jan 7, 2013

That last one looks like the 3DO. :smileylol:

sony_famicom_front.jpg

I know Nintendo has fared well, despite passing on the chance to enter the Disc Based system market at the time, but I can't help but think they might be kicking themselves in the pants for not at least keeping Sony out of the Market.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 21 (891 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Jan 7, 2013

As kids in that early 90's we wanted this Nintendo Playstation.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 21 (874 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Jan 7, 2013

ryuken31 wrote:

As kids in that early 90's we wanted this Nintendo Playstation.

Very True. My friend and I used to play the 3DO.  It was better than the Genesis and the SNES.  We heard about the PS1 coming out, and both pre ordered it.  The rest is History.  Nintendo lost me with the introduction of the Game Cube.  

I have a Wii, but it sits unused for 99% of the time.  SHould have saved my $300 on that one.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 21 (872 Views)
PlayStation MVP
10742 posts

Jan 7, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

Very True. My friend and I used to play the 3DO.  It was better than the Genesis and the SNES.  We heard about the PS1 coming out, and both pre ordered it.  The rest is History.  Nintendo lost me with the introduction of the Game Cube.  

I have a Wii, but it sits unused for 99% of the time.  SHould have saved my $300 on that one.

Moble

I picked up both the Wii and GameCube, and am still surprised that people actually despised the GameCube at the time. The GameCube controller in my opinion was far better than the Nintendo 64's and the Wii's. I remember reading peoples' reactions at the time, saying how once you start playing the GameCube you forget that you're holding a controller. That was actually true, at least at first. Not to mention the GameCube had quite a number of great games. The quality dropped down hard when casualties collided with Nintendo's legacy. I'm afraid things are looking much worse in Wii U's current corner.

Were it not for Nintendo though, at least in some ways, the PlayStation would have never come into existence and Nintendo wouldn't have such a strong leader to compete against. Sure, Sega would probably still be running in the business.... maybe even Microsoft. Though, you have to wonder what if Sony hadn't stepped in and changed things.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 21 (863 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Jan 7, 2013

The kid in me just wish sony and nintendo would ebay on these system

and Secret of Mana was a port of the Snes-cd rom verison and that snes cart version 

was glicthy and had some issues.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 21 (858 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Jan 7, 2013

GrayGargoyle wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

Moble

I picked up both the Wii and GameCube, and am still surprised that people actually despised the GameCube at the time. The GameCube controller in my opinion was far better than the Nintendo 64's and the Wii's. I remember reading peoples' reactions at the time, saying how once you start playing the GameCube you forget that you're holding a controller. That was actually true, at least at first. Not to mention the GameCube had quite a number of great games. The quality dropped down hard when casualties collided with Nintendo's legacy. I'm afraid things are looking much worse in Wii U's current corner.

Were it not for Nintendo though, at least in some ways, the PlayStation would have never come into existence and Nintendo wouldn't have such a strong leader to compete against. Sure, Sega would probably still be running in the business.... maybe even Microsoft. Though, you have to wonder what if Sony hadn't stepped in and changed things.

In one of my longer stories; SHOCKER, I know, I talked about my decision to move away from Nintendo.  Never a Sega fan, and was hooked on Sony when XBox came out.  Can't say I wasn't tempted though.

That being said, I traded in my PS1 for an N64, then re bought the PS1, and just recently got rid of the old 64.  The game catalog just stayed a little too young for me with Nintendo.  It was not that I was against any of the changes Nintendo made in any of their systems following the 64, but rather the lack of change in titles and lack luster attempts to improve their system performances.

Although we would like to stay children for ever, sometimes we just grow up a little.  Not to say the titles available on any Nintendo are only "kiddie", and not to say that those titles are not enjoyable to an adult, but they just weren't for me anymore.

3DO started it, and Sony pretty much capped it for me.  I like the Horror, Gore, Violence, and other adult content that Sony provides.  Playing the 90th rendition of Mario, just does nothing for me.  Even Zelda got old/too young for me.

Additionally, the "safe bet" Nintendo continued to make, with not pushing the processor or graphics envelope, left me wondering why I would pay another $300+ on a system with only mildly improved performance from the last system.  After all, the Wii is mostly the Game Cube, with a Motion Sensing Offshoot.  Other than motion sensing, the only thing that changed, for the most part, were the controller and the Package.

I was aware at the time of the PS1 release, there were rumors/indications the PS1 was actually a Nintendo System that Sony bought the tech for.  Nintendo was said, at the time, to not want the risk of introducing the CD based system to its repertoire.  Instead, they stuck with the old cartridges for one more go around.

I would not say they lost out right, but I do maintain they could have been the game changer in the console war between themselves and a declining, at the time, Sega.  Sega still folded, despite Nintendo's reluctance, but only because Sony took patronage from Sega more than Nintendo.

Oh, what could have really been for Nintendo?  Still, they have managed to hold their own, despite not taking much of my money.  Happy B-Day Nintendo Playstation.  Long live Playstation, no matter the designer.  Down with the Box!

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 21 (848 Views)
Fender Bender
3178 posts

Jan 7, 2013

Sorry but the 3do was way better than any of them consoles back then..

Even today it is far better than them, in turms of graphics and games..

The 3do was way beyond it's time, and that is the only reason it failed..

Today the 3do would be on top and blow these guys away without even thinking about it..

Because 3do though of everything that the gamer needed...

Photobucket

750GB SSHD :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 21 (847 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Jan 7, 2013

hjason1 wrote:

Today the 3do would be on top and blow these guys away without even thinking about it..

I will certainly agree with you on that.

It had the "boredom screen".  You could put in any Audio CD and it had multiple kaleidoscope type screens that went to the music.  It was good for when you were, um, ah, yeah, well you know.  Anyway, it was a great feature, that Sony didn't even "attempt" until the late middle of the PS1 life.  The feature even disappeared with the Core Systems.

The best game, we played for hours and days, was The Way of the Warrior.  It was a 3-D'ish fighting game, mixing elements of Mortal Combat and boasting an awesome soundtrack.  The entire game was set to the La Sexorcisto Album by White Zombie.

Not to mention, did you notice "The Book of Fighters" was the Necronomicon from Evil Dead.  Awesome!

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 21 (836 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4402 posts

Jan 7, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

hjason1 wrote:

I will certainly agree with you on that.

It had the "boredom screen".  You could put in any Audio CD and it had multiple kaleidoscope type screens that went to the music.  It was good for when you were, um, ah, yeah, well you know.  Anyway, it was a great feature, that Sony didn't even "attempt" until the late middle of the PS1 life.  The feature even disappeared with the Core Systems.

The best game, we played for hours and days, was The Way of the Warrior.  It was a 3-D'ish fighting game, mixing elements of Mortal Combat and boasting an awesome soundtrack.  The entire game was set to the La Sexorcisto Album by White Zombie.

Not to mention, did you notice "The Book of Fighters" was the Necronomicon from Evil Dead.  Awesome!

Moble

OK, take it easy now, and lets remember the game came out in 1994.  I challenge anyone to find a game on any system from 1994 with graphics or sound like this game.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 21 (832 Views)
0 Likes