Splicer
81 posts

Re: HOW TO TRANSFER PS3 MEMORY TO A NEW PS3??

Apr 18, 2010

The best option, is to simply replace the PS3 hard drive with an empty one...,

that way you keep all your games saves, progress checks, and media files and Sony

will get thier system as configured.

Just make sure you replace the hard drive with the same size one...

Don't take a 60G and put a 40/20 GB...

Once you get a new PS3, all you have to do is make the exchange again...

After you turn on the system for the first time..., than; you will have your user account and

all previous game/media data

Message 11 of 27 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3210 posts

Apr 18, 2010

White_Tiger9 wrote:

The best option, is to simply replace the PS3 hard drive with an empty one...,

that way you keep all your games saves, progress checks, and media files and Sony

will get thier system as configured.

Just make sure you replace the hard drive with the same size one...

Don't take a 60G and put a 40/20 GB...

Once you get a new PS3, all you have to do is make the exchange again...

After you turn on the system for the first time..., than; you will have your user account and

all previous game/media data

Only if he gets the exact same PS3 back.  If Sony sends a different refurbished unit he will only be prompted to format the drive.  Only the exact same PS3 can read that HDD.

Message 12 of 27 (371 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 19, 2010

I got a new 250 gb unit yesterday. Once I signed in, all my Modern Warfare 2 ranks and weapon unlocks were there. It took me too long to get them.

So the new unit is placed at least 4 inches away from any other components that put out heat. I'm hoping that will increase the lifespan.

Thanks for the help.

Message 13 of 27 (371 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 19, 2010

I know in the ps3 options, theres a way to connect two PS3's together to transfer games over to the same account.

System Settings -> Data Transfer Utility. All you need is an ethernet connected to both systems, and there will be two options to select.

Option1) Transfer data from this system to the other PS3 system.

Option 2) transfer data from other Ps3 system to this system.

Hope this helps.

Message 14 of 27 (371 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Apr 19, 2010

Without starting a new thread, I'm getting random video issues with my PS3 Slim 250. I may or may not investigate sending back in, but I have started backing up my save games. I've noticed that some games are copy protected. I am assuming that they sync online and that if I were to eventually get my unit repaired, once I sign in, those copy protected games will download from the servers? I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Message 15 of 27 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Apr 19, 2010
Gamesaves do not sync online. You can get them either with Backup utility or Transfer utility.

Sucks...
Message 16 of 27 (371 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Apr 19, 2010

Interesting. I'll have to try the backup utility. I have transferred all of the Saves I can using the transfer to memory stick utility.

Message 17 of 27 (371 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Apr 19, 2010

My fan failed on my PS3 causing it to overheat then causing the YLOD....great build quality..not. And to add insult to injury I can't even transfer the files from my old hard drive to the new PS3 system. Seriously wasted a good few years of my life and money with Sony. Got to love the feeling when a big investment goes down the drain..what a FAIL Sony have turned out to be. 

Message 18 of 27 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1802 posts

Apr 19, 2010

muppetmanone wrote:

My fan failed on my PS3 causing it to overheat then causing the YLOD....great build quality..not. And to add insult to injury I can't even transfer the files from my old hard drive to the new PS3 system. Seriously wasted a good few years of my life and money with Sony. Got to love the feeling when a big investment goes down the drain..what a FAIL Sony have turned out to be. 

Moral of the story: Use the Backup Utility, and use it regularly. Why people do not do this is beyond me.

You won't be able to restore everything (to a different PS3), but it will get most things, and the things it won't get are things that you would never be able to get by individually backing up game saves, etc, either.

The best way to get everything off is to use the transfer utility, but if your old system is toast, that does you no good, obviously.

Message 19 of 27 (371 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 7, 2010

ehm your online rank stays the same way all your unlocks online stay because they are on the online servers from infinity ward it always stays there no probleme with that you only have to log on your new ps3 with your old account so 

Message 20 of 27 (371 Views)
0 Likes