Jan 14 2013
By: PhoenixBreaker90 First Son 4 posts

HELP!! Hi, me again!

7 replies 131 views Edited Jan 14, 2013

Well.. I think my PS3 just died on me... I keep seeing the yellow light of death and then it flashes red.

I should have known something was wrong when the fan didn't turn.  That thing is so loud when it does, (and it heats up the room!) I was thankful it didn't come on while I was playing Disgaea..

Little did I know it was over heating..

Still, gotta say that thing held on for a while..  I had it for.. 6 years, and it's the old model as well too!  

I am assuming there's no way of saving the data of my saves on there, right? *sighs*  Well, I needed a new one anyways.

But, the reason I am posting this is ask a question!!

I am assuming my PSN is still fine.. all of my trophy data is safe (not that I really care).  However, what about my add-on purchases, are they alright?  I would really hate to buy EVERYTHING again..

Also... anyone have any idea of getting the disc out?  I would really would like it back... Smiley Sad

And lastly.. you guys know where I can get another PS3?  I know the slims sells at about 250$ I believe.

Anyways, I am sure this kind of post has been made already, but I still appreciate some feedback, please?

Thanks you guys!

Phoenix.

Message 1 of 8 (131 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Re: HELP!! Hi, me again!

Jan 14, 2013

hey mann..about ur disc if u dnt care about voiding th warranty just nd grab urself a screw driver nd pop tht baby apart to recover ur disc. thts the easy part however u can salvage ur data by removing u HDD  nd putting it into sum 1s ps3 as long as it s the same 'large' model then with ur new ps3 provided u get one u jst hook up an ethernet cord frm the new ps3 to the 1 wit ur HDD init if u got lije afriend with 1 u can use. from there u go to ur ps3 options i think in the data recovery section nd you'll b set. for exact location of tht option u could look through the settings or google it cuz its a common task. now this will work as long as ur HDD is intact nd not corrupt which it should since ur issue was the yellow light (overheating ) i had my ps3 jacked bro so ikno the pain u feel haha. at least u got a strong chance 4 data recovery. i had 2 strt from scratch after havin a completely packed hard drive with my life in it. all my music movies games and data..gone.....good luck br ohope i helped

$berry_
Message 2 of 8 (126 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6752 posts

Jan 14, 2013

juggalo_ryda48 wrote:

hey mann..about ur disc if u dnt care about voiding th warranty just nd grab urself a screw driver nd pop tht baby apart to recover ur disc. thts the easy part however u can salvage ur data by removing u HDD  nd putting it into sum 1s ps3 as long as it s the same 'large' model then with ur new ps3 provided u get one u jst hook up an ethernet cord frm the new ps3 to the 1 wit ur HDD init if u got lije afriend with 1 u can use. from there u go to ur ps3 options i think in the data recovery section nd you'll b set. for exact location of tht option u could look through the settings or google it cuz its a common task. now this will work as long as ur HDD is intact nd not corrupt which it should since ur issue was the yellow light (overheating ) i had my ps3 jacked bro so ikno the pain u feel haha. at least u got a strong chance 4 data recovery. i had 2 strt from scratch after havin a completely packed hard drive with my life in it. all my music movies games and data..gone.....good luck br ohope i helped

Transferring the HDD to a new PS3 will require formatting.  The only way to recover the data is to get the broken PS3 working again.  Of course, if the data is backed up, then it's not necessary.

Message 3 of 8 (114 Views)
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jan 14, 2013

Sell it make money and use that money to buy an electronic that acutally works

SONY IS GUILTY OF: "False Advertising" and Undisclosed dishonest business practices

HomeStuck "Main" - PlushyPillow "PS PLUS ONLY"
Message 4 of 8 (81 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
38856 posts

Jan 14, 2013

juggalo_ryda48 wrote:

A lot of the time there is also no need to do this either, try holding down the eject button untilt he disc 'force ejects'.

As for your saved data, unless it's already backed up, you have PS Plus or can get the PS3 to stay on for long anough to perform a data transfer then sorry but it is lost, all your downloads & DLC are safe though, just re-download them when/if you get a new unit.

Good luck!

BRIT-KO.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 5 of 8 (72 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Smiley Happy

I was able to get the disc out.. *phew* thank god!

It really does suck that I can't get my saves now... and there's over 100+ hours of gameplay work too, that's 6 years of hardwork.. Smiley Sad  though, a part of me is a bit happy..  now I can start over with a clean slate!

When I get a new unit, I'll be sure to save EVERY GS from now on.

Anyways, thanks for feedback, again.  I really appreciate it!

Phoenix.

Message 6 of 8 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7387 posts

Jan 15, 2013

PhoenixBreaker90 wrote:

It really does suck that I can't get my saves now... and there's over 100+ hours of gameplay work too, that's 6 years of hardwork.. Smiley Sad  though, a part of me is a bit happy..  now I can start over with a clean slate!

Phoenix.

Do you have the original 60 gb model? i do and still running like a champ, i wanted to get a slim but i think i will just wait to get a ps4 this october/november or whenever it comes out lol

Message 7 of 8 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
845 posts

Jan 15, 2013

remanutd5 wrote:

PhoenixBreaker90 wrote:

Phoenix.

Do you have the original 60 gb model? i do and still running like a champ, i wanted to get a slim but i think i will just wait to get a ps4 this october/november or whenever it comes out lol

Same here. Though I also have the 250 slim. I felt like the 60 GB would die soon and I wanted to keep it alive as much as possible to play some PS2 games.

My Playstation Collection consists of:
152 PS3 games - 564 PS2 games - 72 PS1 games - 202 PSP games - 11 PS Vita games

Over 1,100 games total Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 8 (27 Views)
0 Likes