Highlighted
Jan 24 2012
By: gumersindo18 First Son 3 posts

[HELP] GTA IV shuts down my Phat PS3 60 GB after 10 minutes of playing

7 replies 400 views Edited Jan 24, 2012

So I got Grand Theft Auto IV and installed it on my Phat PS3 60 GB version and palyed it like 10 minutes and then it shut down and the red light is blinking and it stays so.

I don't get it. I can play God Of War III, Uncharted: Drakes Fortune & etc. and it's all fine with those games only with GTA IV it shut's down.

I even borowed another GTA IV disc from a friend to check out if maybe my disc isn't in good condition but it's ALL THE SAME.

Shut's down after 10 minutes and it's unbelievable that it isn't even hot. It's temperature is like always.

PLEASE HELP. I want to play GTA IV so badly ;(

Message 1 of 8 (400 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1073 posts

Re: [HELP] GTA IV shuts down my Phat PS3 60 GB after 10 minutes of playing

Jan 24, 2012

IV was a console killer when it came out. Over heating PS3s left and right. It was supposedly fixed in updates, but it could probably still happen. Since your PS3 is so old I'd say giving it a nice cleaning on the inside and stuff would fix it as its most likely overheating.

Message 2 of 8 (400 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29426 posts

Jan 24, 2012

Try going into the Game Data utility and deleting the Gran Theft Auto IV data, and then reinstalling it. Note; this is NOT the same as the Save Data.

Message 3 of 8 (400 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Thanks for your advice I'll try to do something

Message 4 of 8 (400 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Excuse me for saying this but.... I'm not so dumb taht I don't understand what Game Data & Save Data is

P.s. I even formatted the whole HDD yesterday just to hope that my GTA IV will and surprisely I played it 1 hour and then it shut down and it's all the same

Anyways, thanks for helping. Please if anyone knows exactly something about this problem, then please answer

Message 5 of 8 (400 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29426 posts

Jan 25, 2012

gumersindo18 wrote:

Excuse me for saying this but.... I'm not so dumb taht I don't understand what Game Data & Save Data is

P.s. I even formatted the whole HDD yesterday just to hope that my GTA IV will and surprisely I played it 1 hour and then it shut down and it's all the same

Anyways, thanks for helping. Please if anyone knows exactly something about this problem, then please answer

You'd be surprised how many don't know the difference.

The problem is that nobody knows exactly what the problem is. There's no official support on this forum, and anything anyone recommends here is going to be at best guesswork. The only other suggestion I can offer is to make sure that the console is well ventilated, and that the vents are clear of any dust or debris, and to vacuum them out if they are blocked.

Message 6 of 8 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Google YLOD repair, and I believe you will find the source of your problem. I had a similar issue with Arkham City. Initially I blamed the game because it was the only game freezing up on me, nothing else had a problem. Happened so often it was virtually unplayable. Then a month or two later I picked up Fallout 3 again and noticed graphic artifacts on the screen and same game freezing though not as often as Arkham City. At this point I realized I had a problem since Fallout never did this before.

Googled around and found some YLOD articles on how to fix older fat PS3's so they don't end up dead around the 2-4 year mark.

Apparently the thermal paste used to fasten the heatsink/fan assembly to the CPU and GPU dries and cracks after about 3 years. At this time, your console will likely start overheating leading to potentially more permanent damage, if you don't address it immediately. It may already be too late for the cheap/simple repair. You may need to do what is called "reflowing" or perhaps "reballing".

Like I said, google around. All I can tell you is to take it seriously and to treat it as if your machine is about to YLOD. In the short time (about 1-2 weeks) I've started investigating, I've noticed a marked decline in my own PS3. Other games started freezing and showing graphic artifacts in the last week. I'm only waiting on the thermal paste to arrive in the mail before I attempt the repair myself. But I have a feeling, I'm still going to have to reflow/reball it anyway.

How do I know this is a VERY common issue? Well, like I said, I started googling, and you know what? Almost every PS3 repair company you can find online and locally, offers YLOD service both preventative and repairs, and will talk about the thermal paste. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

Message 7 of 8 (400 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 26, 2012

I have written a guide that takes you step-by-step in case you want to change the thermal paste on your own, it might help solve your problem.

If you are interested, the link is below...

Message 8 of 8 (400 Views)
0 Likes