Nov 16 2012
By: nonsuchpro First Son 7 posts
Accepted Solution

HDMI not working... tried everything.

14 replies 277 views Edited Nov 16, 2012

Hey all.

I really want to get my HDMI back on my PS3. It is an original big unit that has been working great for years.  I let it sit for about 2 months and when I came back to it the HDMI wouldn't  output. I get nothing from HDMI even when I hold the power button down until it beeps. I hooked it up via the component cables and that works great. When I go into display settings and switch it to HDMI, screen goes black, switch to the HDMI port on the TV and no signal. I am going straight into the TV (Mitzubishi 65" 3-D), not a receiver. The TV has 3 HDMI ports and I tried them all with multiple cables. Other HDMI devices work on the TV no problem. I thought maybe the HDMI port went bad on the PS3 but when I power it up with an HDMI cable as well as component cable it does ask me if I want to use the HDMI. I say yes and get a blank screen. I tried 100x to get this to work, I'm a pro user. I'm about to send it somewhere to see if it can be fixed unless you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Message 1 of 15 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5002 posts

Re: HDMI not working... tried everything.

Nov 16, 2012
I've had the same problem with a previous tv I owned. I was able to fix it by unplugging the tv for over 5 minutes (which reset it back to factory settings), and never had any more problems with it.

Hope this helps.
Message 2 of 15 (270 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 17, 2012

Thanks for the reply. I just tried that, no joy Smiley Sad Every other piece of gear I have that has HDMI is working on the TV so it cant be the TV or it's ports.

Message 3 of 15 (257 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 17, 2012
Having similar issues
Message 4 of 15 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
556 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 17, 2012

do not rule out the tv.

if you are getting signal from the ps3 before telling it to use a resolution, it is a handshake issue between the two.

if you can figure out how rest your tv to factory with everything unplugged from the set.

also rest your ps3 settings to clear any issues that may cause the tv to have the issues again.

reattach everything and boot them back up.

every television manufacture has a different process to reset to manufacture defaults so make sure to look up your model and make for the exact process.

Message 5 of 15 (249 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 17, 2012

I have reset the TV. It worked great for a year on this TV, it's not new.  The only reason I wanna rule out the TV is I've tried a standalone DVD player, a Blue ray player and a digital camera on all 3  HDMI inputs on the TV and they all work great.

Message 6 of 15 (235 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 19, 2012

I have tried 2 other TVs now. It has to be the PS3 Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 15 (215 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 22, 2012

Ok so I took it to Pandora's Cube. A gaming store that repairs consoles as well. I won't know the outcome until saturday or sunday. The guy said it's one of 2 things (most likely).. I was hit by a surge and blew the HDMI fuse or the HDMI chips are fried. The port itself dosent go bad. So It will be $40 to fix if it's the fuse and not worth it if it's anything else. I just bought a new 500 gig top loader PS3 so It dosent matter anymore. I'll sell the old 80 gig if it gets fixed. I'll make a post when I get it back.

Thanks again for the help!

Message 8 of 15 (204 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 22, 2012

I'm having the same problem, I await your response.

Message 9 of 15 (198 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Nov 30, 2012

Well, it was the motherboard so they can't fix it. It works perfectly fine with component so at this point it will be a media server.

Message 10 of 15 (184 Views)
0 Likes