Highlighted
Feb 13 2012
By: Hoseini_amireza First Son 5 posts
Accepted Solution

HDMI Cable Problem

8 replies 142 views Edited Feb 13, 2012

Hi to all,

I've had a very disgusting problem with my HDMI and I really need help !

Here is the story :

My PS3 was working just fine until 1 month ago. 1 month ago when I powered on the console it gave me a black screen. I thought my cable is damaged because it didn't work with other hdmi devices, so I switched to AV multi cable and 2-3 days later I bought a new cable. The cable is ok because I've tested it with 3 other devices. But when I power on the PS3 it detects that there is a HDMI available and when I press YES to use it , the TV gives me a Black screen !!!!

Here is what I've done to find the problem but I got nothing :

1) Holding down power button for second beep to reset the video output

2) unplugging TV

3) unplugging PS3

4) I tested my PS3 with my LG HD monitor and it didn't work with it either but I tested with my friend's LG tv and the HDMI worked Just Fine !!!

5) I tested another devices to find out that my TV HDMI ports are Ok and they worked just fine !

6) I've reset my TV to factory default setting

7) I've reset my PS3 to factory default settings ( restore default PS3 settings )

8) I've tried any options in HDMI resolution but still got nothing. I've tested every single the resolution option set in my friend's TV and then check with my TV and nothing ...

9) I've changed the output frm display setting and after changing it to HDMI after 30 second It turns back to AV mode!

At the end I have a PS3 that HDMI output is ok because it works with other TV (LG) and a TV (SONY) that is OK because other HDMI devices works just fine with it and a cable that it works just fine too because I've tested it.

I really want somebody to help me! I don't know what to do !!!

Thanks

Message 1 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: HDMI Cable Problem

Feb 13, 2012

Try using a cheap new cable anyway

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 13, 2012

You mean it's because of cable ?

I've tried 2 different cables but they didn't work !

Message 3 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 13, 2012

Anybody else ?!

Any other advice ?

Message 4 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Feb 15, 2012

"But when I power on the PS3 it detects that there is a HDMI available and when I press YES to use it"

So what your saying is that the TV does get video from the PS3 at the resolution detection screen which means it is indeed working - just not after that.

Either the TV has a physical problem or the PS3 does. An HDMI board could be going bad.

Really, I can't think of anything else than something going bad. You ruled out the cables. Just because the HDMI port works at the moment with another display or other devices work on the TVs HDMI port doesn't mean nothing is going bad.

I do agree since everything works on something that it would appear to be working but there are exceptions to everything.

You could try leaving both unplugged from the electrical outlet for a few hours (no less!) and then try them again and see if that works.

^^^^ This. See the bottom for why.

Other than that, you already tried everything I could think of as well which doesn't leave much less except for something going bad. Hopefully its not... but well that's my theory.

I did just think of this:

Did you check another device on the TV HDMI port at the resolution your trying to use with the PS3.

Also, did you try custom HDMI resolution via the AVcable with a different resolution than the one you used before and then switch over to the HDMI?

Make sure of the TV settings that can affect framerate, HDMI, etc. not just resolutions.

Oddly I just found this: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-video-game-consoles/32736-ps3-hdmi-port-failure.html

Where someone also says to unplug the TV from the electrical outlet as well. Though I would unplug both for a while. The thing is though others say it worked.

RRIYO MEMBER
Message 5 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 15, 2012

You might be having an HDCP handshake issue. Try component cables (red-green-blue/red-white) instead.

Message 6 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 18, 2012

Thank you for answering ...

" You could try leaving both unplugged from the electrical outlet for a few hours (no less!) and then try them again and see if that works. "

I unplugged it from outlet too, but it eas about 10min. So I'll try to keep it unplug even 1 day. Hope it works!

Besides I've tried another hdmi device but it doesn't have any setting to set the resoliton.

And about the custom settings that you mentioned, when I change the output from AV to HDMI it doesn't give me any option to change the resolution! the screen just goes Blank!

Really I don't know what should I do! But I'll try your advice and will come back with the result.

Thanks

Message 7 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Feb 18, 2012

But I want to use my HDMI port my friend How could I solve my handshaking issue or even know what the hell is exaclty my problem ?

Message 8 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Feb 18, 2012

HDCP handshake issues can be difficult to solve. Basically, two devices cannot agree on a 'secure' channel to send video data across. Replacing the PS3 or the TV can be very expensive. You've already tested the cable. Component cables are cheap, and don't need HDCP.

Message 9 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes