Dec 21 2011
By: theWiiKiller Splicer 94 posts

HDD upgrade...

7 replies 14 views Edited Dec 21, 2011

hello everyone. i will have to upgrade my hard drive soon...i want to upgrade to a 500 gb hdd. what is the best one to use? also what are the specs that i will need when i purchase the new one? i have a fat 80 gig model now. also if you know of any good tutorial videos on how to upgrade it would be very helpful. thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2553 posts

Re: HDD upgrade...

Dec 21, 2011

theWiiKiller wrote:

hello everyone. i will have to upgrade my hard drive soon...i want to upgrade to a 500 gb hdd. what is the best one to use? also what are the specs that i will need when i purchase the new one? i have a fat 80 gig model now. also if you know of any good tutorial videos on how to upgrade it would be very helpful. thanks in advance.

I have the same unit, I used a Segate Scoripon Blue 500Gb, and its real easy, all you have to do is remove the old drive put the new one in and follow the prompts, if you go to the support page, and dl the manual, it will tell you how to remove the drive. Good Luck. I'm a girl you can do it

"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike."
 photo original_1.gif
Message 2 of 8 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
94 posts

Dec 21, 2011

ok...thanks alot ...ive found some sweet deals on the hdd. and quite a few tutorials on the install and such.one ? ..can i use a usb drive that plugs into the usb of the ps3 to backup my data? how many gb does the backup drive need to be?

Message 3 of 8 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Dec 21, 2011

theWiiKiller wrote:

ok...thanks alot ...ive found some sweet deals on the hdd. and quite a few tutorials on the install and such.one ? ..can i use a usb drive that plugs into the usb of the ps3 to backup my data? how many gb does the backup drive need to be?

Yes, the external HDD needs to be formatted in FAT32 on your PC before you can use the Backup Utility. As to the size that you need, how much data is on your PS3?

Message 4 of 8 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2553 posts

Dec 22, 2011

theWiiKiller wrote:

I have PS +  so I backed up my saves to the cloud, and then just reinstalled the games I wanted on the new drive

"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike."
 photo original_1.gif
Message 5 of 8 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
94 posts

Dec 22, 2011

i have plus as well...not sure if it would hold all my stuff though..what is a good cheap external hdd to use? im kinda nervous about doing this hdd swap...just trying to gather all the info i need for the swap..

Message 6 of 8 (14 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
94 posts

Dec 22, 2011

my ps3 is a 80 gig ...i only have 15 gb left...

Message 7 of 8 (14 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24785 posts

Dec 22, 2011

theWiiKiller wrote:

Any 2.5" SATA no higher than 9.5mm will fit. They even make 1Ts that fit now. There isn't a noticeable difference between 5400 & 7200 rpm drives. There are instructions on changing the drive in your manual. If you no longer have the manual there is a "Product Manuals" link at the bottom of this page. You can always come back if you have trouble too.

Message 8 of 8 (14 Views)
0 Likes