Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
1 posts

Re: HBO GO Please

Oct 26, 2012

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY HBO GO IS NOT AVAILABLE ON PS3. WITH ALL THE TECHNOLOGY THAT IS AVAILABLE THIS SHOULD NOT EVEN BE A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION. I BELIEVE IT IS BECAUSE PS3 CHARGES YOU AN EXORBITANT AMOUNT OF MONEY TO WATCH HBO PROGRAMS; SO WHY WOULD THEY LET YOU WATCH WHAT YOU'VE ALREADY PAID FOR WITHOUT SONY GETTING A CUT?............SMH @ SONY..........#terrible

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 64 (2,313 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 24, 2012

Is there anyway we could start a petition of some sort to let Sony know how much we want HBO Go?

I don't know how effective this would be or if this has already been addressed in the aforementioned posts.

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 64 (1,904 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
9398 posts

Nov 24, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
I kind of like what Microsoft is doing for their XBL Gold subscribers, and for those that want to remain cable-less. They are continuously inking out deals with content providers making different Apps. There is a deal with NBC news for watching Today and Nightly News footage, and now (for the sports fans) they are supporting multiple ESPN feeds.

The bottom line is that the more choices people have for their entertainment needs, prices should fall and better values can be found...

The problem is though, none of this stuff should be locked behind a Gold sub. It is 100% free on every other device that offers it. Just not on the Xbox 360. The massive amount of money Microsoft makes from dashboard advertising should especially make all the apps on the service free.

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 64 (1,899 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24373 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 25, 2012

The game industry is a "for profit" business. They aren't going to be swell guys. If they can make money, they will.

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 64 (1,896 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9398 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 25, 2012

But now what happens when these apps become a standard for pretty much all devices? I mean once I buy Apple TV and run my apps straight from my iPhone, my Xbox 360 is going to end up being a dust collector. They might be making money off of this stuff right now but what if the bottom falls out? Microsoft doesnt really have a game library to fall back on unless you want to play Halo, Forza or Gears.

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 64 (1,892 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15234 posts

Nov 25, 2012

Murderstyle75 wrote:

But now what happens when these apps become a standard for pretty much all devices? I mean once I buy Apple TV and run my apps straight from my iPhone, my Xbox 360 is going to end up being a dust collector. They might be making money off of this stuff right now but when the bottom falls out? Microsoft doesnt really have a game library to fall back on unless you want to play Halo, Forza or Gears.

You'd be surprised how much profit they see when they spend tens of millions of dollars on endorsements, sponsorships, giveaways etc etc.... It might seem like a lot.... but when 40% of the annual revenue of Xbox comes from them (which is around $400million) they don't really care if things should be free or not... people are going to end up openning their wallets regardless.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 64 (1,889 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9398 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 25, 2012

But as I keep saying, that success could be very short lived. Instead of focusing on how fat they can make their wallets right now, they need to be looking into the future and the threat from the smart market which Microsoft only has about 2% marketshare in. People are not going to contunue to open their wallets when things like Netflix, HBO Go, etc are available everywhere. Now in the meantime, they have completely ignored the thing that has drove console sales for years. Thats making actual games.

Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 64 (1,887 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 13, 2013

Why the hell does PS3 not have HBO, this is total bulls__t!! XBOX does has but not PS3 doesn't? sooooo tragic!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 64 (779 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24373 posts

Feb 14, 2013

fllscott wrote:

Why the hell does PS3 not have HBO, this is total bulls__t!! XBOX does has but not PS3 doesn't? sooooo tragic!!!!

Because they have to distract you from the fact that they just about all the same exact games that the PS3 has, so if you need another justification to get a 360.

That's what it comes down to. Take away Halo, Forza, and Gears of War, all of which have shot their proverbial loads, there's no other big games coming to the 360 this year. that can't also be found on the PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 64 (763 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24373 posts

Feb 14, 2013

Xuchilbara wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Xuchilbara wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Xuchilbara wrote:

Cable companies wont let HBO go that easily. Nevertheless, the light at the end of the tunnel showed when HBO managed to set free from cable companies in Northern Europa.

«Quote»

Aug 30 (Reuters) - Premium TV channel HBO will launch a Web-only service in Nordic countries that does not require the customer to be signed up with a pay TV service such as cable or satellite.
-------
HBO to go online without cable in Nordic countries | Reuters
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/30/hbo-nordic-idINL2E8JUH6320120830
«/Quote»

The world wants a stand alone HBO experience, one where no cable subscription is required. We want to pay HBO not the middleman.

That is encouraging news, because I think a lot of people that have gone cable-less would enjoy subscribing just to HBO GO and watch new content the day after it airs, just like Hulu Plus...

Oh how I wish they could detach themselves from cable/satellite companies. Channel package is decadent model. People need to wise-up and give up on cable. Ladies, Mob Wives is not worth an overpriced useless cable package. Fellas, neither is Ice Road Truckers  :smileylol:

In my opinion, Sports is what's keeping cable tv packages alive.

Do you know what the word "decadent" means?

Sports and live events and convenience are why people keep cable subscriptions. I know that to many gamers the idea of cable television is "old hat", I don't think the masses are ready for the constant wave of "Buffereing, Please Wait" that will accompany the cancellation of cable packages. That, and I already get HBO along with Madison Square Garden, YES, ESPN, all my local channels, and the major networks. There's something to be said for the conveniece of being able to turn on my local CBS affiliate and seeing How I Met Your Mother at the same time every week, and not having to wonder when or if it will be offered again. So far there's nothing that can give what cable does.

We're not at the point where internet speeds can handle a console or PC being your entertainment center. Besides, you need a cable connection in order to get the internet. 

Channel packages are a decadent model.

|As in, the model cable & satellite companies use [channel packages] is dying, decaying, little by little breaking down: decadent.

While HULU isn't what it once was; HULU alone with Netflix proved the model cable companies follow is no longer a must. Not long after major ISP companies started to complain about network congestion thus no longer providing the once advertise/provided  "unlimited broadband" cable/DSL internet. To this we can bring the whole massive amount of bandwidth use for bit-torrents downloads issue but in all it just sounds too convenient. There is a lot  of interesting talk/analysis on the internet about the actual price of bandwidth.

I agree, the masses are not ready to switch from cable to over the internet tv-network programing. Heck, the masses are not ready to be connected to the internet. Nevertheless, the foundation for "a la carte" programing/tv-network subscription exist outside of a cable-tv/satellite-tv contract. Companies like Walmart, SONY, Best Buy, BlockBuster, Netflix, HULU, sport networks, Microsoft and even Comcast have notice it and tech savvy users are making use of them. At the end of the the day, it's all about how to monetize and make the most money out of their services while providing the service customers want.

We do have the bandwidth to make our computers/media center  and/or video game console our gateway to tv-programing & news, but this is being capped by our internet providers. Some of which whole contracts with TV content producers/providers. It does make sense for a small ISP company to cap the bandwidth allotted to a user but a massive network like Comcast & ATT, not so much. We don't really rely on cable to access the internet, we can also use DSL or FIOS. With that said, there is a lot of places in the US and in the world where there is no backbone access to a major ISP network, where satellite or dial up is the only way to access the internet.

If you had paid attention to the news this past weekend, we on the East Coast were battered by winter storm Nemo. Try as you might, you can not get adequate information from the internet regarding storm information from the internet that is LOCALLY relevant. School closings, parking bans, power outages, towing, weather updates, etc. The internet does not have that capability yet that is readily available to that degree.

People want LOCAL news and their LOCAL channels. Sure the "gamers" may not see the significance, however to those of us who need more than just the latest video game news, your local channels are more useful than HBO Go, and Netflix.

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 64 (762 Views)
0 Likes