PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: HBO GO Please

Sep 22, 2012
I kind of like what Microsoft is doing for their XBL Gold subscribers, and for those that want to remain cable-less. They are continuously inking out deals with content providers making different Apps. There is a deal with NBC news for watching Today and Nightly News footage, and now (for the sports fans) they are supporting multiple ESPN feeds.

The bottom line is that the more choices people have for their entertainment needs, prices should fall and better values can be found...
Message 21 of 64 (1,197 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28677 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 22, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
I kind of like what Microsoft is doing for their XBL Gold subscribers, and for those that want to remain cable-less. They are continuously inking out deals with content providers making different Apps. There is a deal with NBC news for watching Today and Nightly News footage, and now (for the sports fans) they are supporting multiple ESPN feeds.

The bottom line is that the more choices people have for their entertainment needs, prices should fall and better values can be found...

That doesn't solve the problem of giving people their local channels. As archaic as it may sound, people want their local channels, and local news and more importantly, local weather, is a huge part of that. HBO Go, Hulu, and what ever won't provide that. 

Back in 1999 when President Bill Clinton signed into law the Sattelite Home Viewer Improvment Act giving sattelite providers the ability to carry local channels, cable no longer had the trump card on the industry. In theory along with the deregulation of the cable television providers, that was supposed to lead to more competition and better prices. It didn't. Even though today we have a few more options like FIOS, AT&T U-Verse, DirecTV and Dish Network, many are unavailable to consumers in many markets. There's still not enough competition and along with the lack of local channels, internet infrastructure is still not at the point where it can be an adequate substitute for cable. Maybe in ten or fifteen years, however as of right now we're still stuck with the cable companies. 

Message 22 of 64 (1,191 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 22, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

That doesn't solve the problem of giving people their local channels. As archaic as it may sound, people want their local channels, and local news and more importantly, local weather, is a huge part of that. HBO Go, Hulu, and what ever won't provide that. 

Back in 1999 when President Bill Clinton signed into law the Sattelite Home Viewer Improvment Act giving sattelite providers the ability to carry local channels, cable no longer had the trump card on the industry. In theory along with the deregulation of the cable television providers, that was supposed to lead to more competition and better prices. It didn't. There's still not enough competition and the internet infrastructure is still not at the point where it can be an adequate substitute for cable. Maybe in ten or fifteen years, however as of right now we're still stuck with the cable companies. 

I think in many metropolitan areas, people can download, stream, or podcast their local news, but it certainly isn't the ideal situation. As an alternative cable providers have to provide a bare bones basic cable package that just covers local brodcast channels for ~$10/month, and there is always over the air transmission.

I think the problem with Sattelite is they can't really provide internet service directly, and they need to outsource to places like at&t for that. A true cable competitor is one that offers the same services, namely TV, phone, and internet. Since cable companies own the cable lines they lay down, a competitor can't use that same cable to provide service. But companies like at&t & Verizion can by transmitting their services over the phone lines that are already installed, so it can be a true cable competitor. I know in my area, since at&t came to my area prices have stablelized and services have improved remarkably...

Message 23 of 64 (1,183 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18888 posts

Sep 23, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Xuchilbara wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Xuchilbara wrote:

Cable companies wont let HBO go that easily. Nevertheless, the light at the end of the tunnel showed when HBO managed to set free from cable companies in Northern Europa.

«Quote»

Aug 30 (Reuters) - Premium TV channel HBO will launch a Web-only service in Nordic countries that does not require the customer to be signed up with a pay TV service such as cable or satellite.
-------
HBO to go online without cable in Nordic countries | Reuters
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/30/hbo-nordic-idINL2E8JUH6320120830
«/Quote»

The world wants a stand alone HBO experience, one where no cable subscription is required. We want to pay HBO not the middleman.

That is encouraging news, because I think a lot of people that have gone cable-less would enjoy subscribing just to HBO GO and watch new content the day after it airs, just like Hulu Plus...

Oh how I wish they could detach themselves from cable/satellite companies. Channel package is decadent model. People need to wise-up and give up on cable. Ladies, Mob Wives is not worth an overpriced useless cable package. Fellas, neither is Ice Road Truckers  Smiley LOL

In my opinion, Sports is what's keeping cable tv packages alive.

Do you know what the word "decadent" means?

Sports and live events and convenience are why people keep cable subscriptions. I know that to many gamers the idea of cable television is "old hat", I don't think the masses are ready for the constant wave of "Buffereing, Please Wait" that will accompany the cancellation of cable packages. That, and I already get HBO along with Madison Square Garden, YES, ESPN, all my local channels, and the major networks. There's something to be said for the conveniece of being able to turn on my local CBS affiliate and seeing How I Met Your Mother at the same time every week, and not having to wonder when or if it will be offered again. So far there's nothing that can give what cable does.

We're not at the point where internet speeds can handle a console or PC being your entertainment center. Besides, you need a cable connection in order to get the internet. 

Channel packages are a decadent model.

|As in, the model cable & satellite companies use [channel packages] is dying, decaying, little by little breaking down: decadent.

While HULU isn't what it once was; HULU alone with Netflix proved the model cable companies follow is no longer a must. Not long after major ISP companies started to complain about network congestion thus no longer providing the once advertise/provided  "unlimited broadband" cable/DSL internet. To this we can bring the whole massive amount of bandwidth use for bit-torrents downloads issue but in all it just sounds too convenient. There is a lot  of interesting talk/analysis on the internet about the actual price of bandwidth.

I agree, the masses are not ready to switch from cable to over the internet tv-network programing. Heck, the masses are not ready to be connected to the internet. Nevertheless, the foundation for "a la carte" programing/tv-network subscription exist outside of a cable-tv/satellite-tv contract. Companies like Walmart, SONY, Best Buy, BlockBuster, Netflix, HULU, sport networks, Microsoft and even Comcast have notice it and tech savvy users are making use of them. At the end of the the day, it's all about how to monetize and make the most money out of their services while providing the service customers want.

We do have the bandwidth to make our computers/media center  and/or video game console our gateway to tv-programing & news, but this is being capped by our internet providers. Some of which whole contracts with TV content producers/providers. It does make sense for a small ISP company to cap the bandwidth allotted to a user but a massive network like Comcast & ATT, not so much. We don't really rely on cable to access the internet, we can also use DSL or FIOS. With that said, there is a lot of places in the US and in the world where there is no backbone access to a major ISP network, where satellite or dial up is the only way to access the internet.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 24 of 64 (1,174 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Oct 24, 2012
So you've enjoyed HBO GO on your cell phone? That works for you? You are content w/ ghetto Play-on? You find that acceptable? You know we all enjoy rigging a lap top to a television in order to fully enjoy our premium subscriptions.

TV $1000
PS3 $299.99
7.1 SURROUND $700

MacGyver skills while wating for everything to be "just so" between two entertainment giants ... priceless

Yes, that was my first post .... really. And, who's on a high horse? Why am I on a high horse for resenting a call center that rarely offers any real help at all. Who's "bumping fingers"? Sony and HBO are beasts in the entertainment industry with the resources to make great things happen, or not.

Play-on - broken and dumb
Roku - no optical/digi/audio out ... that's right folks

Maybe Netflix should team up w/ hbo and provide streaming through their app ... w/ paid subscription of course.

No idiots here. Just a concerned consumer who likes to enjoy premium content in the manner intended, full sound and picture in my living room... not on a phoneypad in the fetal position next to a hot plate.

Congrats to Timberlake and Alba. Even though I have nothing to do with their passion, success, or accomplishments, and they might as well exist in another dimension when it comes to any impact their achievements will have on my life, I will congratulate them and celebrate as if we are some how connected .

Message 25 of 64 (843 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Oct 24, 2012

skoobahjizzle13 wrote:
So you've enjoyed HBO GO on your cell phone? That works for you? You are content w/ ghetto Play-on? You find that acceptable? You know we all enjoy rigging a lap top to a television in order to fully enjoy our premium subscriptions.

TV $1000
PS3 $299.99
7.1 SURROUND $700

MacGyver skills while wating for everything to be "just so" between two entertainment giants ... priceless

Yes, that was my first post .... really. And, who's on a high horse? Why am I on a high horse for resenting a call center that rarely offers any real help at all. Who's "bumping fingers"? Sony and HBO are beasts in the entertainment industry with the resources to make great things happen, or not.

Maybe Netflix should team up w/ hbo and provide streaming through their app ... w/ paid subscription of course.

No idiots here. Just a concerned consumer who likes to enjoy premium content in the manner intended, full sound and picture in my living room... not on a phoneypad in the fetal position next to a hot plate.

Congrats to Timberlake and Alba. Even though I have nothing to do with their passion, success, or accomplishments, and they might as well exist in another dimension when it comes to any impact their achievements will have on my life, I will congratulate them and celebrate as if we are some how connected .

I don't think you've made any sense

Furiously Chaosing
Message 26 of 64 (832 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 24, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

skoobahjizzle13 wrote:

TV $1000
PS3 $299.99
7.1 SURROUND $700

I don't think you've made any sense

I agree. Also HBO & Netflix are never going to team up, they are competing services...

Message 27 of 64 (830 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Oct 25, 2012
Let's open our minds like Baumgartner's parachute, maybe we can better understand each other.

-I've watched Dexter, Weeds, and Tudors on Netflix, all Showtime series.

-He visto Dexter, Weeds y The Tudors en Netflix, todas las series de Showtime.

-J'ai vu Dexter, Weeds, The Tudors et sur ​​Netflix, toutes les séries de Showtime.

-Ég hef horft á Dexter, illgresi, og Tudors á Netflix, allt Showtime röð.

Message 28 of 64 (802 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18888 posts

Oct 25, 2012

skoobahjizzle13 wrote:
Let's open our minds like Baumgartner's parachute, maybe we can better understand each other.

-J'ai vu Dexter, Weeds, The Tudors et sur Netflix, toutes les séries de Showtime.

You lost me because you have not seen the Borgia Smiley Indifferent

On another note, I can't believe I got into netflix after they took Dexter off of streaming Smiley Sad

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 29 of 64 (799 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 25, 2012

skoobahjizzle13 wrote:

-J'ai vu Dexter, Weeds, The Tudors et sur Netflix, toutes les séries de Showtime.

You are probably going to continue seeing TV series from HBO and Showtime leaving Netflix streaming, since they are competing services...

Message 30 of 64 (793 Views)
0 Likes