Mar 05 2014
By: DownBeachDynasty Monster Hunter 34 posts
Accepted Solution

HBO GO App

[ Edited ]
22 replies 532 views Edited Mar 5, 2014

Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that the HBOGO App is available on ps3 and 360 but not next gen? As much as I love my ps4 it seems like it's a pain in the butt for companies to work with it

Message 1 of 23 (532 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

Re: HBO GO App

Mar 5, 2014
It seems like some companies were waiting to see just how popular the new consoles were going to be before dedicating time and money to putting their apps on them. I'm sure we will see apps as big as HBOGo on the PS4 in due time.
Message 2 of 23 (520 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
9596 posts

Mar 5, 2014

DownBeachDynasty wrote:

Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that the HBOGO App is available on ps3 and 360 but not next gen? As much as I love my ps4 it seems like it's a pain in the butt for companies to work with it

Oh well...just add the HBOGO app to the long list of things that PS3 CAN DO, and PS4 CAN NOT DO (MP3, external hard drives or DLNA support, audio CDs...etc). Sony says that HBOGO will eventually be on PS4, but unfortunately.......

Not Today

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 3 of 23 (508 Views)
Lombax Warrior
112 posts

Mar 5, 2014

Just in time for Game of Thrones, yeeaaah boyyyy.

Message 4 of 23 (505 Views)
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Mar 5, 2014

From what I understand it is on the way along with other apps like MLB League Pass. My guess is that it just takes time to roll these out.

Watch Dogs Multiplayer Montage:

http://youtu.be/-at2-OUjhrI
Message 5 of 23 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Mar 5, 2014
Or perhaps PS3 development for the app just started earlier. Who knows how long ago the PS3 software was made. From the looks of it, Microsoft had a timed exclusive deal which was keeping it off the platform. Apple TV didnt have HBO GO for a long time either.
Message 6 of 23 (489 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Mar 5, 2014
I get what everyone's saying. But if it can be on my phone, how hard could it be for the ps4 and xbone to adapt it, especially since it's already on the previous platform. Cant they even just piggy back or use apps like Netflix as as a blueprint. They're basically the same thing.
Message 7 of 23 (468 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5489 posts

Mar 6, 2014

DownBeachDynasty wrote:
I get what everyone's saying. But if it can be on my phone, how hard could it be for the ps4 and xbone to adapt it, especially since it's already on the previous platform. Install base. Theirs more phones and last gen consoles, than current gen. Cant they even just piggy back or use apps like Netflix as as a blueprint. I'm pretty sure each company designs their own apps. Would you hand over something your company designed to your competetion.  They're basically the same thing. Apples and oranges.

Due to the difference in arcitecture between the PS3 and PS4, I'm guessing the app would have to be redesigned from scratch. 

Keep in mind we're also talking about the same company that said "streaming is fad".

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 8 of 23 (454 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 6, 2014

I hope they add HBO go for the PS4 sometime soon.

I don't know if MS paid to get the app before Playstation seeing how I was using this app on my 360 back in 2012 when it released.

Patience I guess..

Message 9 of 23 (446 Views)
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Mar 6, 2014
Mimic I get your points. I literally know nothing about any of this but I would've hoped that sony would have thought, hey let's make it pretty simple to add media to our next gen console. it just seems that each thing they want to add, takes extremely long. Especially given the game draught. Don't get me wrong, I'm playing this thing one way or another.

Also by piggy back I meant as far as maybe Sony learning what problems Other companies ran into in order to stream line the process. Again I have no idea if that's even possible now that the consoles have shipped.
Message 10 of 23 (421 Views)
0 Likes