Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 31 2012
By: TheBigSalad Lombax Warrior 105 posts

Guess I was wrong about online passes

4 replies 104 views Edited Aug 31, 2012

I thought I read somewhere that online passes would start being issued with Resistance 3, which came out in September of 2011. But recently I wanted to buy Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Limited Edition (which came out in November of 2010) and found that I would need the activation code/pass to play online. In regards to NFS:HP, is this an EA thing or is it the actual PSN Pass? And can someone provide me with, or point me in the direction of, a list of all the games that require any sort of pass to get the full content/access of the game, or at least the name of the game that actually was first to require a pass? Much thanks to whoever does.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (104 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24398 posts

Re: Guess I was wrong about online passes

[ Edited ]
Aug 31, 2012

It's not a "PSN thing" or an "EA thing". It's up to the individual developers as to whether or not they want to implement an online pass. Some developers do it more than others, and Electronic Arts happens to be one of them.  Also, you only need to buy the online pass if you buy the game used, or subsequently rent it. 

Wikipedia has a list of games that require online passes. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_pass#Games_using_online_passes

The list is incomplete, however. Games by Codemasters such as F1 2011 and Dirt 3 both require the online pass, and there are games that have been released since. 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (103 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Aug 31, 2012
There are games that lock singleplayer? I'm going to guess that it's locked because the person only has the multiplayer portion? If not then that's even worse. How does singleplayer locking even work?
www.youtube.com/user/thelegendarygbd
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (97 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24398 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 31, 2012

TheGreatGBD wrote:
There are games that lock singleplayer? I'm going to guess that it's locked because the person only has the multiplayer portion? If not then that's even worse. How does singleplayer locking even work?

"Locked single player" is misleading, and the way you're thinking it's just flat out untrue. For example, Batman: Arkham City has bonus Catwoman missions if you buy the game new, and L.A. Noire has bonus cases. These are download through the PSN Store. That content isn't "locked" on the disc, but it's integrated into the game after you redeem the code, and download it. It's not "locked", it's actually an incentive to buy the game new. The main body of the game is not "locked". You get the full game when you buy it. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Aug 31, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

It's not a "PSN thing" or an "EA thing". It's up to the individual developers as to whether or not they want to implement an online pass. Some developers do it more than others, and Electronic Arts happens to be one of them.  Also, you only need to buy the online pass if you buy the game used, or subsequently rent it. 

Wikipedia has a list of games that require online passes. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_pass#Games_using_online_passes

The list is incomplete, however. Games by Codemasters such as F1 2011 and Dirt 3 both require the online pass, and there are games that have been released since. 

Gotcha. I saw somewhere that you can buy them but they expire after a certain amount of time and you need to buy it again. I think that may have been from when the news of the passes came out, because I've seen a lot of "$10 voucher" but not about it expiring.

I guess I have to be more careful about the used games, I thought it was a general rule that it started late September 2011, but if 2010 games also have them, I need to rethink my whole used-or-new process haha. the only games I have used are LBP1 and Metal Gear Solid 4, both of which I was told should be fine without the pass (havent done online with LBP yet, and haven't started MGS yet haha)

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 5 (90 Views)
0 Likes