Feb 24 2014
By: AnimeDreama Lombax Warrior 145 posts

Grand Theft Auto V.... What's the Big Deal?

[ Edited ]
49 replies 605 views Edited Feb 24, 2014

So, I rented Grand Theft Auto V because several of my friends kept pestering me to get it and play with them online. They were adamant about how amazing it is and that it was the best game ever. Now, before anybody starts flaming, please hear me out. This is NOT a troll post, fanboy post, or angry **bleep** post. I am posting here to get my fellow gamer's feedback about what they think is the reason Grand Theft Auto V is so popular is (no posts about it being GTA, please).

If I am being completely honest here, I had very little fun with GTA V. I had more fun glitching my car in Grand Theft Auto IV, and that was highly, highly annoying when trying to outrun police. I did not enjoy the story mode at all. To be frank, I found its portrayal of Lamar and Franklin to be highly racist and stereotypical, and Michael was just so... boring.  Trevor was okay, but I didn't really like him, either. The level of language in the game is appalling, and before anybody shoots off their mouth, let me make one thing clear: adding cursing to a game, especially a high level of cursing, does not make a game mature. Honestly, it just adds to the foulness of its content, and its portrayal of women is ridiculous.

Because I did not enjoy the main portion of GTA V at all, I decided to try the online aspect. It was more enjoyable, but I found it to be populated with **bleep** and morons. For example, I robbed 6 stores and got chased by cops for 20 minutes to fix a ride up in GTA Online, then some **bleep** totalled my car with no explanation. Events like this went on for some time before I gave up.

On a technical note, I found the game to riddled with glitches, but none were gamebreaking. I did not see what the hype was about for the graphical capabilities of the game. I use a Sceptor 40" LCD TV, and the game looked horrendous with my HDMI. I noticed a lot of jaggies and muddy textures, and a lot of pop in.

Now, I don't hate the game, but I really want to have fun with it. Could anybody please share their thoughts on this release?

GTA VC forever.

Edit: Changed label. For more information on labels, please see this post: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

I'm just a casual gamer that lives a proactive PlayStation lifestyle

http://i.imgur.com/EfvdVS7.png
Message 1 of 50 (605 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Re: Grand Theft Auto V.... What's the Big Deal?

Feb 24, 2014
The game is okay, good and fun but is overrated like COD. My 2 cents.

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 2 of 50 (596 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2980 posts

Feb 24, 2014
@darkforcegod

And TLOU.
Message 3 of 50 (594 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5806 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2014

I don't care for the GTA series but I too have friends that nag me to get it. MY main reason I don't like em is because I never liked stories involving Mafia and/or ghetto gangsters and the sort (although....I did actually enjoyed Sleeping Dogs...hell I liked playing 10min of Sleeping Dogs over 1hour of GTA San Andreas). I would say most people generally like it  is because of the free roam MP. Can go derp off however you like etc.

At the sametime it's pure opinion you know. For every like, there will always be a dislike. My friends love GTA but despise RDR, me vice-versa, friends (highly) like COD and hate Assassin's Creed, me vice-versa. Friends like Street fighter and hate Mortal Kombat, me vice versa Smiley Tongue

The Flying Grayson, Nightwing, Robin, They were about more than fight moves. They were about inspiration, comfort, trust, family. I gave that up to become a spy. a Spider man; A Tsuchigumo. I have changed.
But I'll Always be D. Grayson

N52 Grayson 6

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 50 (584 Views)
VP of Gaming
28677 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Part of the appeal of Grand Theft Auto is that it drops you into a living, breathing city. It creates a world that you get lost in, everything from the store fronts to the radio stations lend itself to that. To some people who are used to the whole linear shooter format, who are accustomed to "Start at Point A, shoot anything that moves, advance to Point B, do not deviate", that may be a bit overwhelming.

As for the online play, nothing brings out someone's inner a-hole than online gaming. That's all I have to say about that.

Message 5 of 50 (578 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7393 posts

Feb 24, 2014

I kinda hate when people say "WAAAAAH M-MAH LANGUAGE!". Have you ever been around people like this in real life? Hell, my high school was filled with them, my college was filled with them, they're everywhere. It isn't a reason to dislike the game.

As far as GTA Online goes, you need to play it with friends in a friends only lobby, otherwise you'll throw your controller at your TV. The people who play that game online are definitely worse than the entirety of the CoD community. 

Message 6 of 50 (569 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Evan297 wrote:
@darkforcegod

And TLOU.

I think not but everyone has an opinion.  I respect everyone's opinion and yours is included.  Smiley Happy

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 7 of 50 (555 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 25, 2014

As I said before, I do not hate the game, I jst did not have fun with it. As for the language, no I do not often hear extreme cursing such as is presented in Grand Theft Auto V. It gets annoying when every other line of dialogue is a "**bleep** you, **bleep**", "*****" or something of the sort. 

I'm just a casual gamer that lives a proactive PlayStation lifestyle

http://i.imgur.com/EfvdVS7.png
Message 8 of 50 (544 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28677 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 25, 2014

AnimeDreama wrote:

As I said before, I do not hate the game, I jst did not have fun with it. As for the language, no I do not often hear extreme cursing such as is presented in Grand Theft Auto V. It gets annoying when every other line of dialogue is a "**bleep** you, **bleep**", "*****" or something of the sort. 

Do you live near or have ever been to a big city?

Message 9 of 50 (538 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1602 posts

Feb 24, 2014

I live in NYC....this game is very much similar lolol

Message 10 of 50 (530 Views)