Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 03/24/2009
Offline
267 posts
 

Re: Getting SSD for skyrim - major lag. Need help

Nov 30, 2011

If other ppl have seen improvement, then its probably due to the huge improvement of the random access time from the SSD.  (SSD has no seek time).  People are also reporting lag only after extensive playing, showing the temporary files are all fragmented on the HD causing the lag. 

Maybe a brand new HD with 320+ GB capacity, and then reformating it is all you need. 

Good luck with your search on the SSD.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 19 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 05/09/2009
Offline
32 posts
 

Re: Getting SSD for skyrim - major lag. Need help

Jan 28, 2012

All I know is that because of this and the issues fallout had in the beginning I'm waiting a few months to get the next game that comes out and I'll probably get it used. Not like I'll have to worry about an online pass. I don't think its much to ask that the game I bought works.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 19 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/16/2008
Offline
7785 posts
 

Re: Getting SSD for skyrim - major lag. Need help

Jan 28, 2012

Consider buying Bethesda games on a different platform. There's no point in handing them more money to put out shoddy ports to the PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 19 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 09/01/2009
Offline
95 posts
 

Re: Getting SSD for skyrim - major lag. Need help

Jan 29, 2012

Getting an SSD would be a waste of money. The infamous Skyrim lag has nothing to do with the HDD. It's issue lies in poor hardware design by Sony with respect to memory. The PS3 has 512mb of memory same as Xbox, however, ps3 has the memory pool paired at 256mb x2. Xbox, on the other hand, has it unified. Plain and simple, the PS3 is not as multi-tasking as the Xbox when it comes to the memory.

http://www.1up.com/news/fallout-new-vegas-developer-explains-skyrim-laghttp://

My liquid cooled PS3 PC:
http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3408963?start=0&tstart=0


Do-It-Yourself:
http://community.us.playstation.com/message/31029569#31029569
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 19 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/24/2007
Online
15234 posts
 

Re: Getting SSD for skyrim - major lag. Need help

Jan 29, 2012

Contrary to popular belief, Skyrim is also lagging on the Xbox. I have the same issues with it on my 360, and even after the patch, it has only gotten marginally better.

I've since then gotten rid of it and now play it flawlessly on my laptop.

The issue is Bethesda themselves. All of their games work beautifully on the PC, but when they port to a console, they dont pay much attention to the mechanics of it.

The issue is the fact that the game thrashes constantly that the cache fills up with a quickness and starts to look at every empty space on the hdd for storing temp data and it starts to lag when it qeues up that data. Whether is a design flaw in both consoles with low cache sizes or a flaw in the programming of the game, the problem is the game itself and not the console as it was optimized for use on a PC.

My laptop is 4 years old and I play Skyrim on Ultra setting and get an average of 70fps with ZERO lag.

This result is pretty typical of a PC Gaming company that is trying to maximize their profit margin by expanding their product base without giving much thought.

SSD is not the answer. the cost is just too much for so little space and you'll be bottlenecked still, by the PS3s SATA 1 transfer rate of 150MB/s

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 19 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/09/2007
Offline
5540 posts
 

Re: Getting SSD for skyrim - major lag. Need help

Feb 3, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, Skyrim is also lagging on the Xbox. I have the same issues with it on my 360, and even after the patch, it has only gotten marginally better.

I've since then gotten rid of it and now play it flawlessly on my laptop.

The issue is Bethesda themselves. All of their games work beautifully on the PC, but when they port to a console, they dont pay much attention to the mechanics of it.

-Minds are like Parachutes. They work best when open. -There's no limit to what brainwashed people can rationalize

Ergh... Actually the X360 has been the leading platform for Skyrim. And the number of reported technical issues on PC is higher than on X360. There are people with the latest GPU facing lag issues. Which are supposed to be fixed (at least for PC) only now wth 1.4.

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 19 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/24/2007
Online
15234 posts
 

Re: Getting SSD for skyrim - major lag. Need help

Feb 3, 2012

Michelasso wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Contrary to popular belief, Skyrim is also lagging on the Xbox. I have the same issues with it on my 360, and even after the patch, it has only gotten marginally better.

I've since then gotten rid of it and now play it flawlessly on my laptop.

The issue is Bethesda themselves. All of their games work beautifully on the PC, but when they port to a console, they dont pay much attention to the mechanics of it.

-Minds are like Parachutes. They work best when open. -There's no limit to what brainwashed people can rationalize

Ergh... Actually the X360 has been the leading platform for Skyrim. And the number of reported technical issues on PC is higher than on X360. There are people with the latest GPU facing lag issues. Which are supposed to be fixed (at least for PC) only now wth 1.4.

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.

Well I have 1.4 on my 360 and have the same issues and i've yet to update it on my laptop since it runs excellent as it is.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 19 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 12/31/2011
Offline
20 posts
 

Re: Getting SSD for skyrim - major lag. Need help

Feb 3, 2012

I turned off all autosave features, that seems to have stopped most of the lag. Try it out if you haven't, it's helped a LOT and I've not frozen since! Just have to remember to save before bosses, etc.




"Beckham.. Into Sheringham.. AND SOLSKJAER HAS WON IT!! Manchester United have reached the promised land!" - Clive Tyldesley, 1999
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 19 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/09/2007
Offline
5540 posts
 

Re: Getting SSD for skyrim - major lag. Need help

Feb 4, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Well I have 1.4 on my 360 and have the same issues and i've yet to update it on my laptop since it runs excellent as it is.

-Minds are like Parachutes. They work best when open. -There's no limit to what brainwashed people can rationalize

Hardly since 1.4 has been published only for PC while is going under certifitication by MS and Sony. It might be out next week on console.

As (sorry) I doubt that any Bethesda game run "excellent" without any patch. Bethesda makes the most broken AAA games on the planet.

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 19 (66 Views)
Reply
0 Likes