Nov 29 2011
By: Lightgodz First Son 4 posts

Getting SSD for skyrim - major lag. Need help

18 replies 625 views Edited Nov 29, 2011

I have been playing skyrim for the ps3 for approximately 82 hours now, and I have been experiencing major lag, due to bottle necking the systems cache. I have an 80 gb fat ps3, and I'm running out of space. I was going to buy a new hard drive anyway soon, because I only have about 15 gb left. Originally, I was only going to buy a larger hdd, simply because I wasn't experiencing lag with any other games and didn't want to pay extra for a sdd that I didn't really need. But it seems that from what I've heard an ssd is just what I need for skyrim, which seems to rely on accessing the system cache extensively. The console begins to bottle neck and lags like crazy. So my question to you experts is which ssd would be the best, cache wise. I found one that seems to be for a good price, and meets the requirements SATA, 2.5" It claims to be fast, when accessing information, but it doesnt give an value for the onboard cache. I've found some that list 64 mb for an on-board cache, but I'm not sure if that is good or not. Also, another question I have is with the SATA formatting. I've found ssd's that are formatted in SATA, SATA II, and SATA III. Most of the nice ones/modern ones seem to have the latest version, SATA III. Will this cause any compatibility issues with my ps3?

To recap...

PS3 specs: 80 gb original hard drive FAT ps3

SSD's that I'm interested in:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

Any that might have a better cache then the one above, but so far the one above is my top pick (unless SATA III doesnt work)

Message 1 of 19 (625 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Re: Getting SSD for skyrim - major lag. Need help

Nov 29, 2011

Did you download the new Skyrim patch put out yesterday? It was supposed to solve the lag problem.

Message 2 of 19 (625 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Nov 30, 2011

Yes I did, but that had no effect unfortunately. I have been playing with that patch effective for at least 10 hours total, and it's just as bad as before.

Message 3 of 19 (625 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Nov 30, 2011

I thought the lag is due to the constant auto save.  SSD is actually very slow on writes, so I don't think you will see any improvement.

Message 4 of 19 (625 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 30, 2011

You could get a Momentus XT if you want a bit of flash cache for speed ups but the capacity of a regular hard drive. I can't say it made much of a difference for Fallout 3 though.

If you get a SSD or Momentus XT, take the time to update the firmware on those drives before installing them into the PS3.

Message 5 of 19 (625 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Nov 30, 2011

Also for $200 you could also get a brand new 360 console.

Message 6 of 19 (625 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Nov 30, 2011

"SSD is actually very slow on writes, so I don't think you will see any improvement."

depends what ssd you are talking about (not all are created equal). The one I'm looking at has a read speed of 550 mb/s, and a write speed of 510 mb/s. That's faster than any built in hard drive that comes with all ps3 models, thus it should decrease processing time for loads/saves

Message 7 of 19 (625 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 30, 2011

Lightgodz wrote:

depends what ssd you are talking about (not all are created equal). The one I'm looking at has a read speed of 550 mb/s, and a write speed of 510 mb/s. That's faster than any built in hard drive that comes with all ps3 models, thus it should decrease processing time for loads/saves

It's only helpful if you are absolutely sure your hard drive is the bottleneck. Also, the SATA interface of the PS3 is limited to a theoretical 150 MBps.

Message 8 of 19 (625 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Nov 30, 2011

potatobreath wrote:

Also, the SATA interface of the PS3 is limited to a theoretical 150 MBps.

Really? I never knew that. hmm. That is weird, though. Some people on the games forums that were complaining about the extensive lag talked about purchasing ssd's and about how they speed up the game immensely for them. They seemed to be convinced that it was caused by the bottle neck of the speed at which the ps3 can write/read information from the hard drive. So if this isn't the likely culprit, then would a bit more flash cache help the matters (I have heard that from other people as well)

Message 9 of 19 (625 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Nov 30, 2011

A SSD might still help, but you could get away with a slower or cheaper model. No need to get bleeding edge. Just remember to update the firmware. I don't expect the size of the RAM cache on the drive to make too much of a difference, as long as there's some cache.

Message 10 of 19 (625 Views)
0 Likes