Jul 06 2013
By: Ultimate_Nova_X First Son 9 posts

General electricity saving questions.

14 replies 203 views Edited Jul 6, 2013

Whenever I'm at home, should I just plug my PSP/Vita into the charger without the battery if I'm playing. As I figured using the battery is draining its lifespan.

Also, is throwing my empty PSP battery in the storage a good idea? Or should I charge the battery a bit (not to max)?

This is how I use my laptop as well. It would've been nice if I figured this out in 2006. :smileyfrustrated:

Also, I plug my PS3 into my powerbar, and whenever I'm not using it, I turn the power bar switch off. Should I unplug the power bar itself as well?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (203 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Re: General electricity saving questions.

Jul 6, 2013

So battery university says to keep it at 40% charge if you want to store it. But does the battery drain out on its own even if it's not inserted into anything?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (175 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
27923 posts

Jul 6, 2013

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:

So battery university says to keep it at 40% charge if you want to store it. But does the battery drain out on its own even if it's not inserted into anything?

I'd have thought so yes, even if it's only running background stuff like the clock etc.

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (170 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 6, 2013

No not inserted into anything means it's literally taken apart from my system.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (164 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 6, 2013

Also, my PSP ac adpater can charge, but it stops and resumes charging if I move the plug around when it's in my PSP, it doesn't do that before, why?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7500 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 6, 2013

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:

1. Whenever I'm at home, should I just plug my PSP/Vita into the charger without the battery if I'm playing. As I figured using the battery is draining its lifespan.

2. Also, is throwing my empty PSP battery in the storage a good idea? Or should I charge the battery a bit (not to max)?

3. Also, I plug my PS3 into my powerbar, and whenever I'm not using it, I turn the power bar switch off. Should I unplug the power bar itself as well?

1. I keep all my devices charged to MAX as much as possible. This avoids draining the battery to totally dead levels, which is bad for it.

2. Charge it to 50%, then put it in a sealable sandwich bag, then throw it in the fridge for long term storage. Cooler temperatures will do the battery well.

3. Most power bars have hard disconnect switches. This means it physically breaks the connection and zero current can go through. Unplugging it will do nothing at all.

That said, if you are *really* clamping down on your energy use (why not?) then it may be best to invest in a Plug-in Energy Meter. It is usually known as a "Kill-a-Watt" but there are other manufacturers of it too. This will allow  you to measure how much this and that appliance draws from the wall socket and you can then micro-manage the devices.

**** EDIT: I have a lithium ion camcorder battery that I charged to about 60% on December 2012. I'll bring it out of the fridge (not the freezer you'll kill it), get it warmed up and then I'll put it in the camcorder to see how it fared and I'll post back the results. It couldn't have been too bad.

**** EDIT 2: It didn't do badly at all! It's more or less charged at the same percentage since I stored it.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Jul 7, 2013

No using your handhelds with there batteries are the real "use less power" methods cause its using its own power source sure it will run out by time but beats having it plugged in several hours as the Vita drains your electricity

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (104 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 7, 2013

The first 2 points kind of contradict each other, do you mind elaborating? Wouldn't charging it to max make it too hot?

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (83 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Jul 7, 2013

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:

Yes it does drain if not pluged to anything, of course the process is very slow and you wont notice it until the battery starts deteriorating.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (68 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Case in point, how should I store a battery by itself? How should I store a battery along with the system?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (55 Views)
0 Likes