Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Re: Geekweb API PSN Community

Aug 14, 2009

whitey wrote:

Neridqe wrote:

I HIGHLY advise against anyone signing into ANY website that is unknown with their PSN info.

i hope the community is smarter then that

Message Edited by Neridqe on 08-13-2009 05:51 PM

What do you advise they do? 

IMO, they dont need to log into anywebsite besides these forums and the PSN on the ps3 with their login info, so i adivse if you NEED to sign up for this site, use different credentials then the ones you supplied to the PSN.

...you really had to ask?

Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Message 21 of 36 (38 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Aug 14, 2009

Neridqe wrote:
best to ERR on the side of caution my friend..

anyone can say anything they wish about how "secure it is"..jhe can claim it works how ever he wishes to claim it..

HE DOESNT OFFER UP logging in with OTHER INFO, and tagging your forum handle,, he said "PSN ACCOUNT"

/FAIL

He's working on something exactly like the Twitter API. Where you sign into the site, without them getting your login info, only your screen name so they can get trophy info.

The login system is nearly the same as the Twitter API. There are tonnes of sites that force you to login with your Twitter info. None of my info has been taken from me.

I assure you that your info would not be stolen from this login method. This has been posted before (the script he uses) and people were all like "wow that's cool kudos", and now when it's in use it's like "OMG HAX U STEL ACNTS".

If you're not going to support him in trying to make a PSN api for people to get trophy info and account stats easily then don't login. Easy as that.

Message 22 of 36 (38 Views)
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Aug 14, 2009

You guys can cry, pound your fist, kick and scream all you wish..

its HIGHLY advisable to NOT give your PSN ACCOUNT INFO to  A N Y website.

nothing more needs to be said friend.

Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Message 23 of 36 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
428 posts

Aug 14, 2009

Im down with helping you out. i mean ill make a FAKE PSN account and use that. why dont you guys just do that and not ask for people info, thats just wrong...

Click To Help Improve The PlayStation 3 Experience
There are no ideas here for you. This can be for a couple of reasons:
A) You have not submitted any ideas yet. Why not fix that and submit something.
B) Your idea hasn't been approved yet. Hang in there.
MY IDEA NEEDS TO BE APPROVED?????????
Message 24 of 36 (38 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Aug 14, 2009

This will be my final post in this thread.

I'm not helping with this project, I'm just trying to show you guys that this cannot give him your info.

Let me explain the login link.

https://store.playstation.com/external/index.vm?returnURL=http://api.geekweb.org/psn/community/index.php

https://store.playstation.com/external/index.vm is the PlayStation Store login. You login to the PlayStation Store. When you are done logging in, this happens:

?returnURL=http://api.geekweb.org/psn/community/index.php That takes you back to his site with your Screen Name. Nothing else. It just displays in your posts.

Read this for more information. (No login, just read)

Message 25 of 36 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Aug 14, 2009

DigitalHour wrote:

Im down with helping you out. i mean ill make a FAKE PSN account and use that. why dont you guys just do that and not ask for people info, thats just wrong...

Well said. Notice how the OP or the other people never once mentioned to take that route?
Message 26 of 36 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Aug 15, 2009

Guys, I do like that you can spot a scam when you see one, but this can't be used in any way to scam people. It uses the OFFICIAL playstation.com login, if you notice when you click the link to log in it will even take you to playstation.com, after you log in, playstation.com passes on a session ID to whatever site, then that site can turn that session ID into a PSN ID by using playstation.com.

None of the sign-in info is passed on.

The site that has been developed is is entirely for web developers to use and encorporate PSN features into a site. If you don't understand anything of what I've written then there's no need for you to register/post on the site in question since you obviously aren't a web devloper.

Message Edited by Sly-Ripper on 08-15-2009 03:23 AM
Message 27 of 36 (38 Views)
Survivor
2729 posts

Aug 15, 2009
dont sign up for that site, i only use my psn login on ps blog and ps forum/ na!!
BURNING THE PATH WILL ONLY LEAD TO MORE STORMS
Message 28 of 36 (38 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 25, 2009

I can't believe the responses to this thread from people who obviously have no idea about the technology being utilised.

In face of all the evidence of it being used by many companies (Media Molecule, et al) and the fact that the source code for the project is available, and the existence of hundreds of websites that allow you to sign in with your Twitter/Facebook accounts a few people just stuck with the original confused message of fear, uncertainty, and doubt perhaps preventing people from helping this project out when it really needs the help.

If you're not sure of what you're saying then it's probably best not to say anything at all.

With that said I'd just like to thank Geekathome for a useful little tutorial that's helped me a great deal in my project.

Message 29 of 36 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8233 posts

Aug 25, 2009

essteeyou wrote:

I can't believe the responses to this thread from people who obviously have no idea about the technology being utilised.

In face of all the evidence of it being used by many companies (Media Molecule, et al) and the fact that the source code for the project is available, and the existence of hundreds of websites that allow you to sign in with your Twitter/Facebook accounts a few people just stuck with the original confused message of fear, uncertainty, and doubt perhaps preventing people from helping this project out when it really needs the help.

If you're not sure of what you're saying then it's probably best not to say anything at all.

With that said I'd just like to thank Geekathome for a useful little tutorial that's helped me a great deal in my project.

When i log into twitter or facebook and pass my information, my CC number isnt linked to it like my PSN id is.

Furthermore, you say that you arent storing the information such as our username and password, but how do we know that.

will have me believe that it is impossible to extract this information from what we provide?

I say, if you want to help, thats great, use a resticted psn username, one that has NO access to purchases, as the person wisely suggested above.

Message Edited by Recon-X on 08-25-2009 10:04 AM
Message 30 of 36 (38 Views)
0 Likes