Feb 23 2014
By: thejtl Splicer 50 posts

Gaming headset quest continued...

21 replies 299 views Edited Feb 23, 2014

For those of you who have been following along, I've now tested about 8 headsets on my quest to find the best I can possibly get in gaming-specific headsets. This is all subjective, of course, and I'm looking for the headset that sounds best to me and has the features, functionality and comfort to warrant spending upward of $300 on cans. 

I've been surprised at how spotty the gaming headset market is for consoles. The quality is just not there overall, ranging from pretty decent to downright awful with no particular set standing above the rest of the pack in build. The Sony Gold Wireless are the best headset across the board offering the functionality, sound and comfort and hitting a comfortable price point, but while they are great in just about every use, I know there are sets out there that will beat them for straight up gaming. But by how much?

Did the Astro A40s survive the week? Are the Sony Gold Wireless still the new gold standard? Do I put on my OP shorts and head back to the Beach? View on to find out.

http://youtu.be/UJjfb2-U2qA

PSN: thejtl
XBL: theJTL71
www.jasontlewis.com
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/thejasontlewis
Message 1 of 22 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Re: Gaming headset quest continued...

Feb 24, 2014
As I've probably said before, perfection doesn't exist in a console gaming headset. The vast majority are gimmicks and the ones that have somewhat decent sound rely soley on simulation through $20 drivers and a closed design. The way to perfection is with Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, AKG, Ultrasone, Sony (MDR series), Denon, etc. The way to do this right is through the Astro Mixamp.
Message 2 of 22 (280 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11619 posts

Feb 24, 2014
Personally I like the gold wireless headsets, sure I could spend more money on a better one but to me I'm satisfied with the gwh
>

Message 3 of 22 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Feb 24, 2014

You're right. I paired my Beyerdynamic DT770 (80 ohm) with the mix amp and they sounded fantastic. I'm sure with a mic attached it would have served all my needs. But them the Astro A40s died.  And I hadn't owned them for a week.Can't say if it was the cans or the mixamp because I had no way to test on hand. I just can't support a company that charges so much for what it clearly a subpar  quality product. And I won't take a risk on the mixamp continuing to work if I trust it to be the hub of my gaming set up.

And here's the thing, at the end of the day, products that are purpose built for something like gaming should be better for that purpose than products designed for other uses that are then pressed into service as gaming headset. I am shocked that companies have foisted inferior products on gamers and called them the bees knees. Well, maybe I shouldn't be too shocked. But as the consoles become more high quality and more powerful, so will the demand the public puts on peripherals become more, well, demanding. And the first company that figures that out and puts out a high quality, full featured, near-audiophile gaming headset will be the new king of the mountain. 

The Gold Wireless is that headset for everyone at and everyone price point and that's why I love it and respect it and will happily use it. The TB XP510 seems to be the closest analog to that mantra in the high end realm, but as I said in the video, TB seems to be in between product lines. The PX4 was a stop-gap to get a headset onto the PS4. The XP510 and PX51 had to be retrofitted to work on the new consoles. Next month TB releases Seven series headsets for XBone. What will they do next for PS4? If they took what they've done previously and ramped up the build quality they might be in great shape. As it is their products are sort of juvenile, but in terms of SQ and function they are the best to my ears after trying 8 different sets from various manufacturers.

It's a wasteland out there ripe for the picking. If Sony does in fact have a "Platinum" headset lurking in the wings, and they take what they've done with the Gold and ramp it up, they can win the thing and bring headsets into the same quality world as the consoles. I look forward to seeing what they do. The Golds are sure a winner.

PSN: thejtl
XBL: theJTL71
www.jasontlewis.com
Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/thejasontlewis
Message 4 of 22 (269 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Teus wrote:
Personally I like the gold wireless headsets, sure I could spend more money on a better one but to me I'm satisfied with the gwh

Teus:   If you're using them on a PS4 how well do they handle the chat?

SwampManiaK

Message 5 of 22 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
84 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2014

Peronally I would rather spend $300+ on a surround sound system. Smiley Happy But have fun with that. I got the Sony Gold Wireless for $100 and I love it. I'm sure those bad@ss $300 ones are great though.

Message 6 of 22 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Feb 24, 2014
@thejtl

I've had my mixamp for over a year and it has had no problems. I also know many people who use the device and nobody has had any problems. If you had issues, I'm pretty sure it was a fluke sort of like the guy who gets a bum console and thinks they are all bad.

Astro also has some great customer support and their one year warranty covers about anything. An additional year is also under $30. I've also seen on their support forums of them granting free repairs even outside of the warranty. Visit the peripheral support section of this website and you will see some of the worst complaints regarding these Sony headsets and the customer service offered. If you go on any audiophile site, the Astro Mixamp is what everybody recommends. Its just pretty much the headphones which are subpar.

And I absoutely hate Turtle Beach. I feel their marketing and popularity has plagued the entire market. Everybody sees their success and releases their own **bleep** versions as well because nobody knows any better. All they know is these headsets sound better then their TV speakers and iBuds. Turtle Beach, Tritton and Sonys gaming headsets are the Beats, 50 Cent Streets and Monster DNA's of gaming audio. And like I said. Astro has their Mixamp right but their headphones wrong. The more people settle for these products, the worse its going to get.

For right around $65, you could buy a pair of Samson SR850's a mic and Y Adapter plugged into the Dualshock using stereo and their fidelity, soundstage and imaging will own any one of these products using virtual surround sound. Pretty crazy that a Taiwan knockoff of the AKG K240's can put a $100 to $300 name brand gaming headset to shame.
Message 7 of 22 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Feb 24, 2014
@DaBird-Is-DaWord

For $300, you wouldn't get anything other then a crappy HTiB. That same money could get you an audiophile quality headphone setup.
Message 8 of 22 (223 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9185 posts

Feb 24, 2014

I'm still pretty content with my Pulse headset. However I do wish to branch out and try out some other higher quality Headsets such as Sennheisers and Sony. 

Message 9 of 22 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Well I wish you luck on your quest. I use the Sony MDR-M900 with a modmic and astro wireless mixamp 5.8 with my PS4, I have a ton of wiress with this setup but its the best sounding setup for me. I have the wired mixamp pro hooked up to my PS3 and I use my A40 or A30 with my PS3. I use the gold wireless when I want a truly wireless setup like when I lay in bed and game.

I would give the skullcandy Plyr 1 and Steelseries  H wireless headset a try. 

http://steelseries.com/us/products/audio/steelseries-h-wireless

The H wireless uses dolby digital and Pro logic so its on par with astro mixamp . You can customize the sound and the audio control box looks very nice.

Message 10 of 22 (176 Views)
0 Likes