Fender Bender
4184 posts

Re: Gaming Routers?

Oct 31, 2010

hjason1 wrote:

sinnerjo wrote:
"gaming" routers are just normal routers with a price increase and better marketing.

there is no difference between a "gaming" router and its equivelent level router.

Ah no there not..

Gaming routers open ports for gaming automatically.

Once you start a game it knows what ports to open up.

Plus you can pick what bandwith goes where, and also see the packets.

Also they have display's on them, that show speeds, bandwith, and packets,,

Plus they show more then that,

They are worth the money, i have the first gaming router that came out.

It is ok but, i would like to get the new ones.

Those thing's are awesome.

http://belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=377018

You can do that yourself with a little online research. I suggest you keep the extra money and just go with a simple router.
Photobucket

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 28 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Feb 24, 2011

i use a dang linksys wrt110 wireless router although hardwired and before that i used the bef something or other the basic old linksys wired router,and i have had one problem on both and i have changed every setting used dmz tried tweaking the registry and i still get an occaisional "an ethernet cable is not connected message" now before you say oh thats probally your cord no its not because i wired straight to the modem several different times each time for 8 hrs or more and never got the message,i only get this error when going thru the router,i have theorized that it may be some kind of conflict between the modem and the router but i have no idea how to fix it,so what im saying is maybe gaming routers do work better perhaps ill spend the 189 bucks just so i can stop trying to chase a solution to this ghost problem as i havent been able to fix it in all the years ive tried.I have seen a few post and posted my problem here on this forum but i have had no viable answers to this problem and its frustrating but i have isolated the problem to likely being between the modem and the router.

Get your Portable ID!Got MAG???????
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 28 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Feb 24, 2011

Yeah right.

I have a "simple" router that my ISP gave me.

It supports UPnP, there's a menu for it in the router control panel and everything. But getting it to work is another story.

My router is a dang nightmare.

After an entire day fooling with it I'm still NAT 3, and that doesn't look like its going to change anytime soon.

My advice, if you've got the extra cash and want to save yourself a giant headache just buy a gaming router and be done with it.

I wish I had.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 28 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Feb 24, 2011

the only way i get nat 1 is hardwiring straight to my modem but as i have other people in my house who like to play online i.e. facebook or myspace or whatever then its not always an option for me,the only time i couldnt get it off nat 3 was when i had dsl which is out dated and obsolete anyways and the modem/router they give for that is not only a nightmare its a tech persons worst nightmare!!!!i spent days and days trying to get it to work and never could i just thank god for comcast now and i never thought id say that cuz comcast is terrible but less than it used to be

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 28 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Feb 24, 2011

i meant the only way i ever got it off nat 3 with dsl was adding a linksys router but this was difficult to get installed as the default ip for the stupid dsl modem was the same as the default ip for the router  but after much trial i got it to work and it was a pain so i feel your pain all too well as i said im just happy now that my biggest problem is getting "an ethernet cable is not connected" error and not a "my isp modem is a piece of crap" error thanks comcast!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 28 (53 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1020 posts

Feb 24, 2011

jmm49 wrote:

I got a D-Link DIR-655 and it does everything any gaming router does for a lot less money. I paid $89.95 for the router and it was well worth the price.

Using this aswell. My 1st one died in a thunder strom which I think got fried which was my fault at the time. But other then that I've had no problems with it and 3 cpu's use the home net work so I don't feel any lag ethier.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 28 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
138 posts

Feb 25, 2011

GeneralSarcasm wrote:

hjason1 wrote:

Gaming routers open ports for gaming automatically.

Once you start a game it knows what ports to open up.

Plus you can pick what bandwith goes where, and also see the packets.

Also they have display's on them, that show speeds, bandwith, and packets,,

Plus they show more then that,

They are worth the money, i have the first gaming router that came out.

It is ok but, i would like to get the new ones.

Those thing's are awesome.

http://belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=377018

open ports automatically? what router does not support UPNP nowadays? make sure UPNP is on in your router

config and on your ps3...

pick what bandwidth goes where? QOS, quality of service settings, are not specific to gaming routers.

gaming routers are not worth the $ not different at all from standard routers...

QOS is not bandwidth leveling. It has to have a application that uses QOS and it doesnt allow you to set maximum bandwith levels. Its simply auto shares between applications equal. 

Example one pc using netflix and your ps3. QOS will not share. Bandwidth leveling can set port 1 (or ip 1) to have say 3mbps and the ps3 to have 3mbps or 1mbps. I want bandwidth leveling. Only good routers have this unless you have a linux pc and two network cards in it uplink to a switch or router.

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 28 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Feb 25, 2011

point taken

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 28 (53 Views)
0 Likes