Aug 02 2010
By: powderdomis Lombax Warrior 236 posts

Gamesharing = touchy subject. how come?

8 replies 3276 views Edited Aug 2, 2010

First off I hope this thread doesn't get locked because it seems as though most talking about this subject matter seemed to get locked. 

From what I heard from a friend was that you were able to download games to up to 5 consoles. He also says that it was part of marketing from PS to allow you to share games with friends. Is this not a true statment? I don't seem to understand why it's not. I would think it's under the same theory that I am able to let my friend borrow a game once I've completed it, however I wouldn't ever have 5 copies. I also see a benefit to if I have 2 machines persay. If this were ever to be done I still don't see how anyone would do this with out knowing the other party. I keep hearing about accounts getting locked out because someone gave their account away. If it's someone you trust then i don't see much of a risk. Regardless of the circumstances, is this not an allowed function from SCEA? 

Thanks for any input. I just wanted to clear the air (for myself at least) and make sure i'm abiding by proper rules.

Message 1 of 9 (3,276 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Re: Gamesharing = touchy subject. how come?

Aug 2, 2010

The reason for the ability to have your ID on upto 5 systems is because this is Sony's idea instead of just making our PSN ID's portable.

Sony did not intend for you to download games from the PS store then activate your account on a freinds PS3 so they could download and play games you purchased.

The idea ( I think), was to allow you to play your own downloaded content using your account on up to 5 systems.

I have two Playstation3's;  The problem I have right now is with Socom Confrontation.  If I play Socom on one PS3 and then go down stairs later that day to play on the other PS3 I am unable to do so because Socom makes me wait 24 hours before I can play it on a different console.  Im not sure if other games are like this but I do think something is wrong with how they are doing this.

Simple answer is that Sony created a flawed system... that coupled with the inconsistancy we get from the various game publishers/developers has made a real mess and has confused consumers on what to expect.

Message 2 of 9 (3,276 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Aug 2, 2010

gamesharing is not allowed your cheating the developers and sony out of money think about it the developer makes the DLC game etc. you gameshare they lose money which is why its not good to do. it be like you putting an 8 hour shift and not getting paid for the work you did you would be taking your employer to court. so when you gameshare and get caught sony can ban your account for good.

Message 3 of 9 (3,276 Views)
First Son
30 posts

Aug 2, 2010

jma1024 wrote:

gamesharing is not allowed your cheating the developers and sony out of money think about it the developer makes the DLC game etc. you gameshare they lose money which is why its not good to do. it be like you putting an 8 hour shift and not getting paid for the work you did you would be taking your employer to court. so when you gameshare and get caught sony can ban your account for good.

Funny thing you said that because when I called Sony about a activation problem I had with my PS3 and they figure out I was gamesharing they haven't banned me yet and a week just passed lol so I don't think they quickly banned you when they know.

Message 4 of 9 (3,276 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4933 posts

Aug 2, 2010

LCPDK911 wrote:

jma1024 wrote:

Funny thing you said that because when I called Sony about a activation problem I had with my PS3 and they figure out I was gamesharing they haven't banned me yet and a week just passed lol so I don't think they quickly banned you when they know.

depends ive read people on the forums getting banned for it

Message 5 of 9 (3,276 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Aug 2, 2010

I can understand it too. You can view it from this perspective as well. There is no way i'm going to own every game. If my friend had some and I have some and we shared them in theory, and I never planned on buying that game anyway. Wouldn't the developer be somewhat happy that I'm trying their game? sort of like free advertisement. Now if they decide to make another title I might be more inclined to purchase it. I mean i'm fully at liberty to let my friend borrow my Batman game when i'm down with it and he allows me to borrow his Assassin's Creed. I understand how this could affect the developers though, it could help them in a small sense as well too. Thanks for some of the insightful information. 

Message 6 of 9 (3,276 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
23950 posts

Aug 2, 2010

We are given five content activations so that you can download the content on up to five of your own systems. Allowing someone else to download this content is giving them the same content for free, while others are forced to pay. This is a violation of Sony's Terms of Service which is why it's a "touchy subject" on the forums.

Share / Hijack Account

Sharing personal PSN account information in order to obtain access to another persons PSN account. Changing another persons email address, and/or password without their permission in order to gain and control access to an account. Offender attempted to use or take content they did not pay for.

- http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1260

- DoubleOSpoon
Message 7 of 9 (3,276 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Aug 1, 2011

FreedWanderer wrote:

Simple answer is that Sony created a flawed system... that coupled with the inconsistancy we get from the various game publishers/developers has made a real mess and has confused consumers on what to expect.

What inconsistency are you getting from the various developers?

Message 8 of 9 (3,276 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28994 posts

Aug 4, 2011

powderdomis wrote:

First off I hope this thread doesn't get locked because it seems as though most talking about this subject matter seemed to get locked.

From what I heard from a friend was that you were able to download games to up to 5 consoles. He also says that it was part of marketing from PS to allow you to share games with friends. Is this not a true statment? I don't seem to understand why it's not. I would think it's under the same theory that I am able to let my friend borrow a game once I've completed it, however I wouldn't ever have 5 copies. I also see a benefit to if I have 2 machines persay. If this were ever to be done I still don't see how anyone would do this with out knowing the other party. I keep hearing about accounts getting locked out because someone gave their account away. If it's someone you trust then i don't see much of a risk. Regardless of the circumstances, is this not an allowed function from SCEA?

Thanks for any input. I just wanted to clear the air (for myself at least) and make sure i'm abiding by proper rules.

You friend is mistaken, and it seems he doesn't understand the Terms of Service very well either. When you see that you can have your content on five different machines, it means that you can content on five different Playstation 3 consoles activated on YOUR account. Not on you and your buddies account. It's much like how it is on iTunes. I can have my music on three different PC's authorized on my personal account. The best example I can use is if you had a PS3 in your living room and one in your bedroom, and you had activated both on you account and sub accounts, then you have your games and data on both those systems. You can't have your buddy and you share content on two different systems.

Also it seems your friend doesn't have a whole lot to lose (note the spelling), because "game sharing" would mean you gave him your password. If someone gets a hold of your password it would potentially give him/her access to your personal data. Addresses, banks, credit cards, etc. would all become compromised. Given the recent events involving the Playstation Network, I'm surprised that some would still see this as not being an issue, and would be so careless with their personal information.

Message 9 of 9 (3,276 Views)
0 Likes