Reply
Survivor
Registered: 06/20/2012
Offline
2536 posts
 

Re: Gamescom Vita news Expectations

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

I'd say their best sales weapon is a couple huge AAA exclusives, preferably first-party. I guarantee a Vita God of War, Infamous, etc. would push sales more than any system price drop would...probably more than memory card price drop as well.


Both are necessary, but price drop > all. Nobody buys a system for a few games. Everybody buys a system at a competitive price for a few games. You can't guarantee anything, Japan's sale numbers (which are higher than US and EU combined) on a week where nothing new is out outsells the weeks US and EU got new games like SS, DoA5+, Sly Cooper, etc. That's the most crystal clear evidence that the price drop is mandatory at this point, refusal to accept that is only a sign of dumb ego on Sony's behalf~.

 

The fact you yourself bought your PSV at the cheapest price available during Black Friday last year (which was after a glorious october that saw countless of releases) only proves my point. You bought it on account of a reasonable price, and all the millions of people who won't even look at the system may reconsider once the price for it is something remotely competitive to the 3DS~.

Message 11 of 22 (172 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 08/30/2012
Offline
9 posts
 

Re: Gamescom Vita news Expectations

Jul 26, 2013

I agree with this.  Vita has games right now, people with Vitas are buying up tons of games.  What's keeping people away from the Vita is the price, specifically the price of memory cards.  No one can deny that the pricepoint of the memory cards are laughable, and there's no viable explanation.  You can buy 2 64GB SD cards for one Vita 32GB card.  It's an awful pricepoint, and as someone who absolutely loves his Vita, I can admit the price is detrimental to the handheld itself.

 

I have a friend that owns a Vita, and he isn't playing it anymore.  He isn't because his 8GB memory card is full, and he refuses to buy memory cards at their current rate.  I WANT the Vita to do well, but the price does absolutely nothing but hurt it.  Bring the cards down to an actual competitive price, or it'll never take off like people want it to.

Message 12 of 22 (170 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/26/2012
Offline
1916 posts
 

Re: Gamescom Vita news Expectations

Jul 26, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

I'd say their best sales weapon is a couple huge AAA exclusives, preferably first-party. I guarantee a Vita God of War, Infamous, etc. would push sales more than any system price drop would...probably more than memory card price drop as well.


Both are necessary, but price drop > all. Nobody buys a system for a few games. Everybody buys a system at a competitive price for a few games. You can't guarantee anything, Japan's sale numbers (which are higher than US and EU combined) on a week where nothing new is out outsells the weeks US and EU got new games like SS, DoA5+, Sly Cooper, etc. That's the most crystal clear evidence that the price drop is mandatory at this point, refusal to accept that is only a sign of dumb ego on Sony's behalf~.

 

The fact you yourself bought your PSV at the cheapest price available during Black Friday last year (which was after a glorious october that saw countless of releases) only proves my point. You bought it on account of a reasonable price, and all the millions of people who won't even look at the system may reconsider once the price for it is something remotely competitive to the 3DS~.


My plan to buy it during Black Friday was set in place well before I knew the price. Most people will never spend the MSRP for a console/device outside of those that must have it at launch. It doesn't have to do with whether one feels said device is worth the asking price, but rather buyer mentality that getting something on discount is desirable (it's why Steam sales are so addicting to so many gamers).

 

As such, any price drop that does occur still has to leave wiggle room for an actual sale discount down the line, and that includes the obvious Black Friday sales, which is why I think it's the wrong time to announce a price drop. The Vita will be discounted during the Black Friday/Holiday sales across the board. If a Vita price drop is to occur on a permanent level, I think it'll happen after that, not before. In that way, retailers can reasonably wait a year before offering sales on it, if they so choose.

Message 13 of 22 (162 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 06/20/2012
Offline
2536 posts
 

Re: Gamescom Vita news Expectations

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

My plan to buy it during Black Friday was set in place well before I knew the price. Most people will never spend the MSRP for a console/device outside of those that must have it at launch. It doesn't have to do with whether one feels said device is worth the asking price, but rather buyer mentality that getting something on discount is desirable (it's why Steam sales are so addicting to so many gamers).

 


Most people will spend the MSRP for a new system. I won't even use the past as evidence of this, I'll use the current status of XBOX One and PS4 preorders on major online stores: all sold out. The PSV came out on February, yet you waited until November to buy one, that's a whooping nine months to get it and not only did you buy it then, you got the best possible deal at Amazon. Price matters and price matters a lot, you would've never paid full price not because of your theory but because you understand that $250 + memcard price is an absurd price. You can twist it however you want it but until the PSV doesn't see a price cut overseas, one that will make the system look as a competitively priced system versus the likes of the 3DS, it'll continue to sell like absolute garbage~.

Message 14 of 22 (158 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 03/14/2007
Offline
15358 posts
 

Re: Gamescom Vita news Expectations

Jul 26, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

TwinDad wrote:
Their best sales weapon would be price drop on memory cards. Second would be a system price drop.

I'd say their best sales weapon is a couple huge AAA exclusives, preferably first-party. I guarantee a Vita God of War, Infamous, etc. would push sales more than any system price drop would...probably more than memory card price drop as well.


Sales bumps in Japan during a software title release are typically 4X and last for 1 month then go into the toilet again. So a title does help, but it's not long term unless it's a non-ending stream of software. So I do agree that software sells, just not a big saviour title, it needs numerous titles that appeal to different people. Collectivly it will bring the crowds.

 

Maybe both the price crowd and game crowd will get their wish during GamesCOm, who knows.

Contact PlayStation Support
Chat with a PlayStation Specialist 
Mon - Sat, 6:00AM - 10pm , Sunday 8am-8pm Pacific

Consumer Services and Technical Support____ 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM Pacific
Playstation Network Accounts and Billing Support____1-877-971-7669

Playstation Forums Support MVP. I do not work for Sony. Just a helpful gamer.
Message 15 of 22 (153 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 12/23/2007
Offline
78 posts
 

Re: Gamescom Vita news Expectations

Jul 26, 2013
Bring the architecture to a smaller die for prolonged battery life, weight will never be an issue, weight added to peripherals for purposes like this is not uncommon.

--------------------
Is this how?!
Message 16 of 22 (151 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 08/30/2012
Offline
1508 posts
 

Re: Gamescom Vita news Expectations

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

Yay, another pointless topic.

 

 

The only "feature" I'd care about is more bubbles.



darkie123 wrote:
Bring the architecture to a smaller die for prolonged battery life, weight will never be an issue, weight added to peripherals for purposes like this is not uncommon.

 Longer battery life would be nice.

 

I vote more AAA announced games, and I'd like to see more video of the Vita streaming PS4 games and the use of Gaikai on PS Vita.

Message 17 of 22 (140 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/26/2012
Offline
1916 posts
 

Re: Gamescom Vita news Expectations

Jul 26, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

My plan to buy it during Black Friday was set in place well before I knew the price. Most people will never spend the MSRP for a console/device outside of those that must have it at launch. It doesn't have to do with whether one feels said device is worth the asking price, but rather buyer mentality that getting something on discount is desirable (it's why Steam sales are so addicting to so many gamers).

 


Most people will spend the MSRP for a new system. I won't even use the past as evidence of this, I'll use the current status of XBOX One and PS4 preorders on major online stores: all sold out. The PSV came out on February, yet you waited until November to buy one, that's a whooping nine months to get it and not only did you buy it then, you got the best possible deal at Amazon. Price matters and price matters a lot, you would've never paid full price not because of your theory but because you understand that $250 + memcard price is an absurd price. You can twist it however you want it but until the PSV doesn't see a price cut overseas, one that will make the system look as a competitively priced system versus the likes of the 3DS, it'll continue to sell like absolute garbage~.


You need to stop selectively reading what I write, as you seem to do that a lot. As I SAID, outside of those that want a device at launch (eg. pre-ordering), the majority of people wait for a sale! This isn't an opinion, it's backed up by sales numbers every time there is a sale (eg. BF) for any console, regardless of time of life). Of course I never would have paid full price. I never would have paid full price if it was priced at $200 from the onset either, I would have still waited.

Message 18 of 22 (133 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 03/14/2007
Offline
15358 posts
 

Re: Gamescom Vita news Expectations

Jul 26, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:


darkie123 wrote:
Bring the architecture to a smaller die for prolonged battery life, weight will never be an issue, weight added to peripherals for purposes like this is not uncommon.

 Longer battery life would be nice.

 

I vote more AAA announced games, and I'd like to see more video of the Vita streaming PS4 games and the use of Gaikai on PS Vita.


What drew me to the PSP was RPG games, they made many, many PSP only RPG games that brough the system to my must have list. While I really like AAA games, for me playing Batman, Final Fantasy, AC, etc, are console.

 

I do acknowledge that they need to show how gaikai and ps4 works on a vita.

Contact PlayStation Support
Chat with a PlayStation Specialist 
Mon - Sat, 6:00AM - 10pm , Sunday 8am-8pm Pacific

Consumer Services and Technical Support____ 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM Pacific
Playstation Network Accounts and Billing Support____1-877-971-7669

Playstation Forums Support MVP. I do not work for Sony. Just a helpful gamer.
Message 19 of 22 (132 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/26/2012
Offline
1916 posts
 

Re: Gamescom Vita news Expectations

Jul 26, 2013

TwinDad wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

TwinDad wrote:
Their best sales weapon would be price drop on memory cards. Second would be a system price drop.

I'd say their best sales weapon is a couple huge AAA exclusives, preferably first-party. I guarantee a Vita God of War, Infamous, etc. would push sales more than any system price drop would...probably more than memory card price drop as well.


Sales bumps in Japan during a software title release are typically 4X and last for 1 month then go into the toilet again. So a title does help, but it's not long term unless it's a non-ending stream of software. So I do agree that software sells, just not a big saviour title, it needs numerous titles that appeal to different people. Collectivly it will bring the crowds.

 

Maybe both the price crowd and game crowd will get their wish during GamesCOm, who knows.


While the main argument in these forums always revolves around price (unit and memory card), if you've seen the arguments on other sites/FB, you'll see that most people, as ignorant as they may be, think the Vita has no games. We of course know that to not be true, but perception is everything. The reason people believe that is because there is no true "system-seller" on the Vita right now - a game that people get obsessed over and must have. The 3DS has a few (eg. Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing), but overall the Vita has way more "good" games than the 3DS has. And while SS may have pushed sales in Japan, the Vita is missing that killer game in the West, which sadly more people care about having 1-2 killer games than many great games. As good as Tearaway and KZM are (and indeed I think the majority of current Vita owners will grab them both), I'm not sure they're the games that people will buy a Vita for - at least not to the same effect as a God of War, Final Fantasy, Infamous, MH, etc. etc.

 

That's not to say a price cut in memory cards isn't necessary, because it absolutely is, but that alone won't help sales of the unit, simply sales of the memory cards from existing Vita owners. Because regardless of the reality, the perception is that Vita doesn't have games.

Message 20 of 22 (125 Views)