Jan 20 2011
By: DecimalVariable First Son 3 posts

Games won't update expiration date after renewal for PS+

[ Edited ]
88 replies 3704 views Edited Feb 14, 2014

I purchased a 3 month membership followed by getting hit on a auto renewal and this last time decided to grab a one year card.  So I had a nice little gap of 3 weeks in my plus membership and when I got it back not all of my games update the expiration date.  6 games show me its expired and sends me over to the store to repurchase.  I then decided to go into the download list to see if I could redownload these games and suprise suprise, they are not there, yet they have been downloaded and played.  While bringing them up at the store it only shows the purchase price.

Does anyone have a similiar problem with keeping free games when a laps occurs in their plus?  As far as I thought all games that were free when you are a member are free as long as you are a member, it doesn't matter if you had a laps in membership or not.  If someone would be so kind to explain this to me and make it clear what is or isn't free after renewal I would appreciate it.

Edit: Added label. For more information on labels, please see this post: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

Edit: Added line breaks

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 89 (3,704 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
416 posts

Re: Games won't update expiration date after renewal for ps+

Jan 20, 2011

same here and is stupid they need to fix this

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 89 (3,704 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 21, 2011

I spent a couple hours on the phone today and the final answer that they decided on is that they can remove anything from the plus membership free games from the store so when your subscription expires the game is removed permanently.  This is the case for Shatter and Space Shooter for me.  Yet most of the other games updated on the expiration date as it should have.  To me this seems to be false advertising as it is a free game as long as you are a subscriber even if your subscription is renewed.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 89 (3,704 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1245 posts

Jan 21, 2011

Wow - that is not at all what (I think) has previously been communicated.  I thought that once you subscribed, you could play the games and use the various content until your subscription expired.  Once expired, of course you would no longer have access to the games, however once you activated your subscription again you have access to your previously downloaded content.

I wonder if jpbslayer can confirm with his experiences - I know he subscribed, unsubscribed, and subscribed again.  Or maybe someone else with the same experience can also confirm.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 89 (3,704 Views)
Splicer
67 posts

Jan 23, 2011

DecimalVariable wrote:

I spent a couple hours on the phone today and the final answer that they decided on is that they can remove anything from the plus membership free games from the store so when your subscription expires the game is removed permanently.  This is the case for Shatter and Space Shooter for me.  Yet most of the other games updated on the expiration date as it should have.  To me this seems to be false advertising as it is a free game as long as you are a subscriber even if your subscription is renewed.

I would think that in order to retain ones' downloaded content, that person would have to maintain an continuous subscription. Any lapse in that subscription could result in the loss of previous accessible content. It reads as if some content could remain, but other content maybe be lost if the subscription is allowed to lapse.

Your initial post stated that you had a gap of a few weeks before resubscribing and that resulted in the loss of some content. This seems fairly normal to me. It is a bit of a bummer, but not unusual.

Podcast BEYOND! SDMF
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 89 (3,704 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 24, 2011

This is the case Shrewder.  But I feel this was poorly communicated to the community.  I guess I won't let it expire to keep my content.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 89 (3,704 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4989 posts

Jan 24, 2011

i dropped my scrip for a few months - and after coming back was able to get everything back - if i remember right - they said that we could do this when plus started

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 89 (3,704 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2150 posts

Jan 25, 2011

I bought the 1 year +3 months deal when it first came out and for X-Mas I got another 1 year +3 months gift card for PSN+ so I activated the card and my PSN+ now expires early 2013 yet the free games I downloaded (Shatter, Zen Pinball and etc etc) say I only have less than a year of them before they expire and are gone. I like you hope Sony fixes these issued with games going away when they shouldn't.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 89 (3,704 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Jan 25, 2011

risenfromnothin wrote:

I bought the 1 year +3 months deal when it first came out and for X-Mas I got another 1 year +3 months gift card for PSN+ so I activated the card and my PSN+ now expires early 2013 yet the free games I downloaded (Shatter, Zen Pinball and etc etc) say I only have less than a year of them before they expire and are gone. I like you hope Sony fixes these issued with games going away when they shouldn't.

I was wondering if I could purchase an additional subscription and have the time added to my current subscription. It will be interesting to see if content does expire and is no longer accessible, even when users maintain a subscription. I was under the impression we have access to previous downloaded content as long as we maintain a subscription.

Podcast BEYOND! SDMF
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 89 (3,704 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Jan 25, 2011

DecimalVariable wrote:

...  But I feel this was poorly communicated to the community....

I completely understand. Hopefully it doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the program too much.

Podcast BEYOND! SDMF
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 89 (3,704 Views)
0 Likes