VP of Gaming
29419 posts

Re: Games should be cheaper

Jul 16, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that any moment now, CaptainAlbator is going to come here and post again on how the "physical" part of physical games doesn't actually mean that the physical versions cost more to make, and explain how keeping servers up to host digital games costs just as much, which is why digital games aren't cheaper by that merit alone.

You just saved me the trouble.

Message 21 of 56 (189 Views)
Sackboy
569 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 16, 2013

Dude just buy the physical copy unless you can save yourself $10. You can loan it, you can sell it, you can spin it you can put your drinks on it.

sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 22 of 56 (183 Views)
VP of Gaming
29419 posts

Jul 16, 2013

teeborg wrote:

Dude just buy the physical copy unless you can save yourself $10. You can loan it, you can sell it, you can spin it you can put your drinks on it.

But... but... it's more satisfying saying "they should make it cheaper", and then sit back and think you've accomplished something!

Message 23 of 56 (175 Views)
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jul 16, 2013

no, they should be free.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 24 of 56 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1470 posts

Jul 16, 2013
not sure if anyone mentioned this yet but some of the vita games digital are cheaper then disc versions so its a sign sony might be going that way.
Message 25 of 56 (168 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 16, 2013

Isn't one of the issues here that retailers won't accept it if the digital version is cheaper than the physical version? What I remember hearing is that the retailers (or some of them) essentially claim they may stop selling the games (or maybe reduce storage space or whatever) if new games are cheaper digitally than the same game in their store. Since physical games still make up a very large part of all video game sales, Sony/Nintendo/MS cannot afford to **bleep** them off and risk damaging that revenue stream. So they are essentially deadlocked there...

Message 26 of 56 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Jul 17, 2013

A lot of people are missing important points.

First, there is a big cost difference in digital and physical. It's not just the media and plastic case, it's shipping, various middlemen taking their respective cuts (like the retail store), storage costs, etc. There is also the fact that there is an up front capital investment in physical copies, whereas the bar to releasing a digital only version is much lower.

Second, from a consumer standpoint, the DRM on digital is typically, one-user-one-copy. You typically can't loan a digital copy, and you certainly can't resell it to another person or to Gamestop. While it is difficult to quantify exactly what this figure is, there is definitely a value difference in media vs digital once you buy a game.

All of these things all work in favor of making the case that physical should cost more than digital. But it doesn't.

One interesting sidebar is that US copyright law designates that consumers have a right to distribute media they buy as they see fit (as long as they don't copy). You can sell, rent it out, lend, or whatever. It's yours. Digital should have the same right, however, they skate by this by not giving you a means to trade/sell/rent/gift your digital copy. But the point is, you will always have a right under law when it comes to physical media, which translates to inherent value. Not so with digital, because while you might have the right, you don't have the means, which translates to no inherent value.

Message 27 of 56 (139 Views)
Sackboy
498 posts

Jul 17, 2013

MartyHolland wrote:

Isn't one of the issues here that retailers won't accept it if the digital version is cheaper than the physical version? What I remember hearing is that the retailers (or some of them) essentially claim they may stop selling the games (or maybe reduce storage space or whatever) if new games are cheaper digitally than the same game in their store. Since physical games still make up a very large part of all video game sales, Sony/Nintendo/MS cannot afford to **bleep** them off and risk damaging that revenue stream. So they are essentially deadlocked there...

I don't really buy that argument. Retailers will always dedicate space to whatever they can sell. It might be an end result that digital outselling physical would reduce sales, therefore stores allocate less space to games because they can use the space to sell other products. But the "we won't sell it" is a ridiculous bluff. If that were the case, then Gamestop would have said they wouldn't carry Xbone back when MS was saying they had DRM that could be used to restrict used games. No one is going to stop selling something out of spite, because they know that you would just go to a different store that sells it, or you would be further pushed toward digital and thus they've successfully just cut their own throat.

I'm sure that retailers do have a fear about being undercut by digital prices, and probably do voice their concerns if given the chance, but at the end of the day, they have no power.  Publishers keeping prices high on digital is "just because they can" and nothing more than that. If you need further proof of this point, look at Steam. They do sales that no retailer could ever hope to match, and yet in many cases you can still buy a physical copy of the same game elsewhere. If there was merit to the point that retailers would rebel, then they already would have over Steam.

Message 28 of 56 (133 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Jul 17, 2013

Eightboll812 wrote:

A lot of people are missing important points.

First, there is a big cost difference in digital and physical. It's not just the media and plastic case, it's shipping, various middlemen taking their respective cuts (like the retail store), storage costs, etc. There is also the fact that there is an up front capital investment in physical copies, whereas the bar to releasing a digital only version is much lower.

Second, from a consumer standpoint, the DRM on digital is typically, one-user-one-copy. You typically can't loan a digital copy, and you certainly can't resell it to another person or to Gamestop. While it is difficult to quantify exactly what this figure is, there is definitely a value difference in media vs digital once you buy a game.

All of these things all work in favor of making the case that physical should cost more than digital. But it doesn't.

One interesting sidebar is that US copyright law designates that consumers have a right to distribute media they buy as they see fit (as long as they don't copy). You can sell, rent it out, lend, or whatever. It's yours. Digital should have the same right, however, they skate by this by not giving you a means to trade/sell/rent/gift your digital copy. But the point is, you will always have a right under law when it comes to physical media, which translates to inherent value. Not so with digital, because while you might have the right, you don't have the means, which translates to no inherent value.

Thank You!

Kudos given

Message 29 of 56 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1820 posts

Jul 17, 2013

I think you guys are missing the Point... 

Booklets & Game Cases? Quite honestly, I would like to see more of them, I look at them alot, but I don't think that 

should be a reason to drop the Price really... 

I also don't think Games should be Cheaper because of it, either... 

Plus, a lot of Games are comming with a Didgetal Copy of the Books now anyways... 

I like all the Collectible stuff, like Art Books, & Statues, & such, but with a Didgetal Copy, you don't get Jack with your Game, 

& your still paying, I believe the same Price, oO 

Am I wrong? When you pay for a Collectors Game from the PSN Store, isn't the Price still like $80 or something, where as in a Retail Store you pay the same Price, but you get a lot more then just the Game, you get other stuff, too... 

If we loose the Physical Market, we'll loose all those Nice Collectible Items they come with... Smiley Sad 

I don't buy a Game just to Play it, I buy a Game for the Features, & such it comes with... & if there is no Statue, & I gotta pay $80... 

I'm going to feel ripped off, Smiley Sad 

For instance, Mortal Kombat 9, I didn't buy it for the Game, I bought it for the Fight Stick & Book Shelf Display... 

With a Didgetal Copy, you can't get awesome stuff like that, oO

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 30 of 56 (102 Views)