Reply
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 11/24/2008
Offline
308 posts
 

Re: Games should be cheaper

Jul 17, 2013

Thanks everyone for having a reasonable discussion.  Both sides are making good solid arguments that I can appreciate. 

 

I think a few people misunderstood something.  I don't mind paying $60 for a game.  I've paid as much as $150 for some games due to the collectable statues and such.  I've bought and owned the physical copy of every game on my profile.  I never rented, borrowed or went digital.  Most of those games are still setting on my shelf.  I enjoy having a library of PS3 games right next to my bluray collection.  I prefer having that physical copy. 

 

Just like with a music CD, when you buy a physical copy you get the case, the insert and the actual disc.  And with all that includes the artwork, information about the band and song lyrics and much more.  To me, that was worth the price.  Now to buy that same album digitally, you get none of that and the price is typically adjusted properly.  I think games should be the same way.  As far as I can tell it is much cheaper to buy the digital format of a music album on iTunes than it is to buy the physical album on CD.  The difference is almost half price in many cases.  If you get less, you should pay less. 

 

Thanks again everyone for contributing on both sides of the argument.


Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 31 of 56 (102 Views)
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
26459 posts
 

Re: Games should be cheaper

[ Edited ]
Jul 17, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

Thanks everyone for having a reasonable discussion.  Both sides are making good solid arguments that I can appreciate. 

 

I think a few people misunderstood something.  I don't mind paying $60 for a game.  I've paid as much as $150 for some games due to the collectable statues and such.  I've bought and owned the physical copy of every game on my profile.  I never rented, borrowed or went digital.  Most of those games are still setting on my shelf.  I enjoy having a library of PS3 games right next to my bluray collection.  I prefer having that physical copy. 

 

Just like with a music CD, when you buy a physical copy you get the case, the insert and the actual disc.  And with all that includes the artwork, information about the band and song lyrics and much more.  To me, that was worth the price.  Now to buy that same album digitally, you get none of that and the price is typically adjusted properly.  I think games should be the same way.  As far as I can tell it is much cheaper to buy the digital format of a music album on iTunes than it is to buy the physical album on CD.  The difference is almost half price in many cases.  If you get less, you should pay less. 

 

Thanks again everyone for contributing on both sides of the argument.


The problem is you're not "getting less". You're getting the exact same game, that costs exactly the same to develop, motion capture, record sound, direct voice actors, and all of the other costs associated with the game. You're suddenly not getting a lesser known voice actor for the new Metal Gear game instead of Keifer Sutherland. The disc, case, and printed material is just packing, and only adds a couple of bucks to the total cost. You're paying for the game, not the format or packaging, and they're sure as hell not going to be swell guys and cut you a break.

 

And let's not even talk about music (even though I could talk about it for days). Most people STEAL music outright, and the music industry has been run like a gigantic party for DECADES. The party is now long over, and they are waking up and realizing that it's a business.

Message 32 of 56 (97 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 11/24/2008
Offline
308 posts
 

Re: Games should be cheaper

Jul 17, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

I'm pretty sure that any moment now, CaptainAlbator is going to come here and post again on how the "physical" part of physical games doesn't actually mean that the physical versions cost more to make, and explain how keeping servers up to host digital games costs just as much, which is why digital games aren't cheaper by that merit alone.

 

 

 


Many of my games don't have any multiplayer component and there is no server to keep up or hosting involved.  Their digital copies are the exact same price and you get no case, no disc, no book, no artwork. 

 

I don't want to just play a game and forget about it.  Emersion is what gaming is all about, right?  I think the case, artwork, book and disc are all part of that.  I want to get into my game as much as possible.  All the cool stuff that came with our games always meant something to me.  I think if we're not gonna be getting that stuff anymore we should not be paying the same price.  As I mentioned in my last reply, the music industry is getting it right.  When I buy a digital copy of an album they understand we're getting less and they drop the price.


Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 33 of 56 (94 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 11/24/2008
Offline
308 posts
 

Re: Games should be cheaper

[ Edited ]
Jul 17, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

The problem is you're not "getting less".


 

If I buy a digital game for $60, I don't get a disc of course.  I also don't get the case, or any artwork, or any booklet.  I get no collectible asset whatsoever.  I can go to any retailer and buy that same $60 game and get my disc, my artwork, my case and my booklet (becoming rare).  Because these things are important to me, I will be getting less if I were to buy the digital game. 

 

Since you are against using the music CD analogy we'll switch to books.  The physical hardback novel is more expensive than it's digital counterpart.  There are things a digital format cannot give you.  And all the various industries understand this.  The gaming industry is the only one that does not.

 

EDIT:  I take that back.  This movie industry also doesn't get it.  But if you're against the book analogy too I can switch to something else all day long.


Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 34 of 56 (89 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/15/2013
Offline
120 posts
 

Re: Games should be cheaper

Jul 17, 2013
Hey op, maybe some people have disc drives that don't work. Maybe for some people that's their only way of gaming.
But I forgot, its all about YOU and your sense of materialism.
Message 35 of 56 (85 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
26459 posts
 

Re: Games should be cheaper

Jul 17, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

The problem is you're not "getting less".


 

If I buy a digital game for $60, I don't get a disc of course.  I also don't get the case, or any artwork, or any booklet.  I get no collectible asset whatsoever.  I can go to any retailer and buy that same $60 game and get my disc, my artwork, my case and my booklet (becoming rare).  Because these things are important to me, I will be getting less if I were to buy the digital game. 

 

Since you are against using the music CD analogy we'll switch to books.  The physical hardback novel is more expensive than it's digital counterpart.  There are things a digital format cannot give you.  And all the various industries understand this.  The gaming industry is the only one that does not.


That doesn't work either because you can get paperbacks for $7.99 to $9.99, and you can pick up books on the bargain table for $6.99. Books are also more collectible. Some people pay quite a large sum for first printing of books, so hardcovers can command a better price.

 

Again, you are not getting a lesser GAME. You are getting the same exact game, in a different format. Furthermore, they currently sell far FEWER digital games on PSN than in retail. If you start cutting the costs, you lower the profit margin, and nobody makes money. There's also no competition in the digital marketplace for the Playstation Store. You have your choice of Best Buy, PC Richard and Son, Target, and Wal Mart for retail games. Where are your choices for digital games? And no, retail and digital don't compete against each other, as some would suggest. Retail brick and mortar stores can offer you better prices to get you in the building to get you to spend money. Why would Sony cut you a break if you can only buy a digital game from ONE source?

 

They have you over a barrel with digital games. There is no reason to give you a better price, and they are not going to be swell guys and say "Golly gee, we need to lower the price and be nice to everyone because they don't get disc, gosh darn it!". This whole idea of "no disc= lower prices for the consumer" is a gamer logic PIPE DREAM that has been perpetuated for the last few years, because it's what you WANTED to believe. It was never going to happen, no matter how many times you repeated it, attempting to make it become "true".

Message 36 of 56 (82 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 11/24/2008
Offline
308 posts
 

Re: Games should be cheaper

Jul 17, 2013

LAST_REAL_GAMER wrote:
Hey op, maybe some people have disc drives that don't work. Maybe for some people that's their only way of gaming.
But I forgot, its all about YOU and your sense of materialism.

I think you've missed the point.  You want to download a digital copy, that's great.  Awesome.  That digital format should be cheaper because a lot of product is not included.  Look, you don't want to save money?  That's fine with me, but I do.


Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 37 of 56 (78 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 07/15/2013
Offline
120 posts
 

Re: Games should be cheaper

Jul 17, 2013

There is no point. You just wanna complain. Gaming is at the price its at because its a luxury. Compared to the past games are cheaper than EVER. 

Message 38 of 56 (69 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 02/14/2009
Offline
1739 posts
 

Re: Games should be cheaper

Jul 17, 2013

To be honest... If i'm not mistaken... Didgetal Games are comming out with everything your arguing about... 

 

The Booklet is downloaded with the Didgetal Games now... Sure you don't get a Case or CD with it, but you are getting the Game without shipping & Handeling, & you are getting the Game instantly after you pay for it... Where as you have to physically go get it yourself... 

 

With all that said, the only real arguement I see here is the whole Collectors Items thing... 

 

You pay $80 for a Collectors Game off the PSN Store, & all you get is DLC & Game... 

You pay the same for the Physical CD, & get a Statue, Game, DLC, & Art Book, including a Case... & most of all, it's same Price... 

 

So which one would you rather have? I think i'd rather get the Statue, oO 

 

Again, in this Scenerio, you are getting less, way less, for the same Price with a PSN Payment... @_@ 

Again, it's an Example, not every Game is the same, ~_~ 

 

My point is, I don't see anything wrong with Standard Games, but Games that include extras for more money, you see a huge, huge difference, & it just doesn't sound right that you should pay the same Price, ~_~

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
.......................
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!


Get Your Portable ID!
Message 39 of 56 (67 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 11/24/2008
Offline
308 posts
 

Re: Games should be cheaper

[ Edited ]
Jul 17, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

That doesn't work either because you can get paperbacks for $7.99 to $9.99, and you can pick up books on the bargain table for $6.99. Books are also more collectible. Some people pay quite a large sum for first printing of books, so hardcovers can command a better price.

 

Again, you are not getting a lesser GAME. You are getting the same exact game, in a different format.


 

Never said anything about a LESSER GAME.  You of all people should know that.  You ARE getting LESS PRODUCT with a digital copy.  Some people care about that product.  Even a used game disc costs less than a used game that has the case and book.  There's a reason for that.  But you don't understand that reason and I can't make you understand it.  It's the same game.   A game with no case or book is much cheaper than a game that has the whole package.  The actual game is not affected in either case, it is the same quality regardless.  That's your argument isn't it?  The same qaulity of a game, regardless of physical or digital?  Then it's the same quality wheather or not it has a book, case and artwork.  Why is the game that includes the whole package more expensive than just a disc?  I look at it like a food chain.  The whole package is at the top.  It should be the most expensive version.  If the game only comes on the disc it should be a little cheaper.  Well, if it's not even on the disc it should be even cheaper than that.

 

Most collectors I know buy the hardbacks and don't even mess with paperbacks. 

 

Try convincing a coin collector to switch to digital coins.  Come on man, digital is not the same and never will be.  I'm just saying, what's no longer included should be reflected on the price. 


Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 40 of 56 (65 Views)
Reply
0 Likes