Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 16 2013
By: Punfisher Hekseville Citizen 300 posts

Games should be cheaper

55 replies 377 views Edited Jul 16, 2013

I'm a collector and when I buy a game I enjoy owning the case, the disc and the booklet.  I enjoy the artwork and the reading material.  I enjoy a lot of things.  But games anymore aren't including a booklet and since we're getting less with our games the price should be lowered.  Wishfull thinking, I know.

I don't do digital.  I think digital games are a joke.  With digital games you get no disc, no case, no artwork, no booklet and you pay FULL PRICE!!  For me it's a rippoff. 

The majority of gamers don't seem to have any standards and I think the system is only going to get worse. 

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 1 of 56 (377 Views)
PlayStation MVP
7174 posts

Re: Games should be cheaper

Jul 16, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

I'm a collector and when I buy a game I enjoy owning the case, the disc and the booklet.  I enjoy the artwork and the reading material.  I enjoy a lot of things.  But games anymore aren't including a booklet and since we're getting less with our games the price should be lowered.  Wishfull thinking, I know.

I don't do digital.  I think digital games are a joke.  With digital games you get no disc, no case, no artwork, no booklet and you pay FULL PRICE!!  For me it's a rippoff. 

The majority of gamers don't seem to have any standards and I think the system is only going to get worse. 

I don't get what your point is here... If you don't like digital then don't buy them.

HEARTFIVEFOURTEEN.png

_____________________ - = Share the Greatness with PlayStation= - ______________________

Message 2 of 56 (369 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1311 posts

Jul 16, 2013
Everyone has there opinions. Me personally, buy a game because I enjoy playing the games. On the other hand, some people buy games to read.
Message 3 of 56 (367 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5453 posts

Jul 16, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

If the system stays the same, yes.  I think digital can be done right, but it isn't yet.  If there were digital booklets that were easy to read, or, you have the option of having a case, etc... there's a happy medium that isn't being met yet.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 4 of 56 (365 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5453 posts

Jul 16, 2013

FiveFourteen wrote:

I don't get what your point is here... If you don't like digital then don't buy them.

It's not that simple - the market is leaning towards digital (at least, that's what many developers seem to prefer), and, there's no incentive for people to switch.  The markets are separated because of a lack of similarity.  If the digital market continues to funtion the way that it does, and physical media is edged out, it's really going to screw people.  I think all the OP (and many of us) are asking for is apples-to-apples pricing and perks.  It's not even close right now, and, that's a missed opportunity.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 5 of 56 (357 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7174 posts

Jul 16, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

FiveFourteen wrote:

It's not that simple - the market is leaning towards digital (at least, that's what many developers seem to prefer), and, there's no incentive for people to switch.  The markets are separated because of a lack of similarity.  If the digital market continues to funtion the way that it does, and physical media is edged out, it's really going to screw people.  I think all the OP (and many of us) are asking for is apples-to-apples pricing and perks.  It's not even close right now, and, that's a missed opportunity.

What pricing and perks would you like?

HEARTFIVEFOURTEEN.png

_____________________ - = Share the Greatness with PlayStation= - ______________________

Message 6 of 56 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

Jul 16, 2013

i understand what he is getting at. go to a gamestop, or any 2nd hand game store. find a game with a booklet and look at it. there are details about the game, character bios sometimes, maps even sometimes. weapon details. backstory. and ads for upcoming games. now...its maybe 3-7 pages and most of it is filler for legal warning purposes that we have to endure on screen anyway.

i strongly advocate that digital games should be cheaper, nothing major. say...$10 would be great, but a stretch so, maybe $5? we are getting nothing more. some argue we are getting security of our disc not getting scratched or lost. which i understand, but buying digital you lose the option to trade it in later or let a friend borrow it. its a trade off and you must decide what you prefer. but if digital is the new generation. it needs a revamp because it is not really in the customers favor. 

it cost the same for us, but less for developers/publishers whatever. the money they save should come to us to, even if it was spilt. we should all profit, not just one party.

""putting my portable id here via moblie device is not as simple as i thought copy/paste function doesnt want to copy it right, oh well""
Message 7 of 56 (343 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12332 posts

Jul 16, 2013

I'm pretty sure that any moment now, CaptainAlbator is going to come here and post again on how the "physical" part of physical games doesn't actually mean that the physical versions cost more to make, and explain how keeping servers up to host digital games costs just as much, which is why digital games aren't cheaper by that merit alone.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 56 (342 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1311 posts

Jul 16, 2013
I agree that there should be a discount for digital, but what the op was getting at was that games don't have the booklets in them that they used to have.

I don't think they should be any cheaper because the lack of reading material. They leave all that info out to fill strategy guides up. But the cost of printing a couple extra pages doesn't justify a price drop for the game.
Message 9 of 56 (333 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
574 posts

Jul 16, 2013

I agree with the OP. If I pay $60 for a game , I would like a manual inside and such like he explains.  We hear about how developers and studios aren't getting enough money from game sales, but then again neither are we. Maybe I'm just old  in my ways but I still love when you get a big ol' manual to read, with pictures and art work on the inside. To me it shows that if they put those special touches in they probably really care about the game in its entirety, it's called showmanship. I dunno just my two cents worth, but it's my two cents!

All right you primitive screwheads listen up....
Get your Portable ID!
Message 10 of 56 (331 Views)