Jan 24 2012
By: Hastor Splicer 71 posts
Accepted Solution

Games between two users

10 replies 193 views Edited Jan 24, 2012

I've heard how two people sharing a Vita have to use seperate memory cards. So I'm going to buy an extra memory card for my GF to use. She has a PSN account and we share a PS3. She doesn't want her own Vita, but will likely want to play some of my games here and there, so I have a few questions:

1. Does this mean that downloaded games will have to be purchased twice for us to both play them, or can she somehow play games I buy for the system on her profile? I'm assuming since changing profiles means changing memory cards, the games will go with the profile on the card. I have some PSP games, minis, and PSone games that I'm surely not going to buy twice just to let two people play them on Vita, when we can both play them on PS3 fine.

2. Will this affect store bought games? Would we both be able to earn trophies? From what I understand, only the first system to use a game gets trophies. Does this apply to seperate profiles on the same system?

Just wondering if I'm just going to want to share my profile. We always liked keeping trophies seperate, but not worth buying a game twice for. Also, if trophies are no longer going to represent just game play, but who can afford to earn it on a new copy as well, they are even more meaningless than before.

Message 1 of 11 (193 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13655 posts

Re: Games between two users

Jan 24, 2012

Hastor wrote:

I've heard how two people sharing a Vita have to use seperate memory cards. So I'm going to buy an extra memory card for my GF to use. She has a PSN account and we share a PS3. She doesn't want her own Vita, but will likely want to play some of my games here and there, so I have a few questions:

1. Does this mean that downloaded games will have to be purchased twice for us to both play them, or can she somehow play games I buy for the system on her profile? I'm assuming since changing profiles means changing memory cards, the games will go with the profile on the card. I have some PSP games, minis, and PSone games that I'm surely not going to buy twice just to let two people play them on Vita, when we can both play them on PS3 fine.

2. Will this affect store bought games? Would we both be able to earn trophies? From what I understand, only the first system to use a game gets trophies. Does this apply to seperate profiles on the same system?

Just wondering if I'm just going to want to share my profile. We always liked keeping trophies seperate, but not worth buying a game twice for. Also, if trophies are no longer going to represent just game play, but who can afford to earn it on a new copy as well, they are even more meaningless than before.

Yes. Unlike PS3, games downloaded would not be accessible to other accounts on the same system (especially since they are on different memory cards. Also, changing profiles means you have to factory reset it every single time you do. So if she wants to play your games, she has to use your profile/mem stick.

2. Er, no, since like I said, you'd each have to have a copy of the game (seeing as again, the game would only be on one memory stick and one PSN account). And the "trophies only go to first buyer" is incorrect. But that would only apply to PS3 since Vita only supports one account at at time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 11 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Jan 24, 2012

Ok, I had heard about the factory reset thing, then saw on another site where someone from Sony had said that was incorrect and factory reset was only necessary if both users wanted to use the same memory card.

What is the point of 1 profile per system? Multiple has been fine on ps3. I understand a personal device often needing only one profile but why not have more as an option? Seems it would serve Sony better and allow them to better gather info on gaming habits etc if seperate profiles were used. I also dont know of anyone that would buy two just for the purpose of seperate profiles, but I guess that is what the goal is.

Message 3 of 11 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Jan 24, 2012

Hastor wrote:

Ok, I had heard about the factory reset thing, then saw on another site where someone from Sony had said that was incorrect and factory reset was only necessary if both users wanted to use the same memory card.

What is the point of 1 profile per system? Multiple has been fine on ps3. I understand a personal device often needing only one profile but why not have more as an option? Seems it would serve Sony better and allow them to better gather info on gaming habits etc if seperate profiles were used. I also dont know of anyone that would buy two just for the purpose of seperate profiles, but I guess that is what the goal is.

http://youtu.be/0DWsKE6tStQ that is a video of switching accounts for you.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 4 of 11 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12009 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Hastor wrote:

you missed the announcement that rebutted that reconfirming that switching users not only requires a change in memory card but also a factory reset..  what you want to do cannot be done...

>

Message 5 of 11 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
42 posts

Jan 25, 2012

I think the 1 profile per system is one of vita's many anti-piracy measures.

Message 6 of 11 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Here is how it works, neogaf forum members have been going over this quite a bit and here is the just of it so far:

Short answer: Yes multiple accounts can be used, if you have multiple cards and patience to do factory resets. Each user needs to buy content on their own account, and retail games may need to be erased to be used even between accounts. Used games may need online passes to be bought, further limiting accounts.

Long answer:

-Two accounts/users etc is easily done by having a memory card for each account, you will however have to do a factory reset on the vita itself each time to swap accounts/users.

There is a new 2 unit limit being imposed on all Digital Downloaded games, that being said yes you can put your game on two playstation vitas, however there is a catch, it is no longer tied to the system exclusively, it is ALSO tied to your account. So lets say you have a vita at home and a vita at work, you would have to be on the same account for the games to work, you won't be able to have your brother/friend/etc's account on one (with the game tied to the system like the ps3) and yours on the other. You technically CAN get away with it, but online will most definitely not work as only one system with your account can ever be online at any given time. So if you were to even for a second have wifi access, the second system would log out cutting off the other player immediately.

It's bad news for families that would share a game purchase with siblings for example, but for someone who has two legitimate systems it's just a matter of logging in and away you go.

From a software sales standpoint we can see how the PS3's system was being abused, all it would take was a couple to share the game between a system (or 5) and that was a lost sale for each person using it.

It would be nice however for a bulk or family license option, hopefully that is something Sony could consider in the future for families, because I know from a lot of posts people with a brother/sister or parents buying for kids, really get burned having to buy a Vita for each child and games because sharing is a huge hassle having to swap cards and reformat the system (takes at least 10 minutes to redo everything). This is going to effect sales no doubt, as most won't want to bother with the swap or prices involved.

The final problem is with actual retail carts, they too are bound to the system they are first used on, which means you can't beat act one in uncharted for example and then pass it off to your friend to give a try, he would first have to format the games memory, otherwise he wouldn't be able to start a fresh game and be able to get trophies.

What does this all mean? It means that casual game sharing is pretty much off limits unless you are done with a game and don't care if it gets erased. It also means that digital downloads are very strict this time around and the two system limit is more there for a broken system, than for a way to share with a friend/family member. Finally it also means that if you do want to play something with someone, you both will pretty much have to have your own copies of everything.

All in all it is a very tight system this time around, it is fair ( you are free to change accounts, and keep all saves providing you have multiple cards for your various accounts and are willing to do the 10 minute vita format ) but also limits people from abusing the digital games and sharing them.

*On a side note some games also have online passes for retail copies, meaning if you buy them used, you may have to buy the digital online pass to be able to play online with that cartridge under your account. This one isn't so friendly, so keep an eye out if you are buying used games, as this could make the used cost end up more then buying a new copy

Sorry for the long post, but it's the best way to describe exactly how and why it all works this way

Message 7 of 11 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Thanks for clearing that up, however I'd hardly call it fair. Not being able to share my games because of the few that would abuse the system (and will undoubtably still find a way to) is pretty crappy. I also wouldn't call every shared game a lost sale. There are some on my PS3 from when I had a friend that kept his profile on my PS3 and showed me some of his games, and had them there to play when he stayed over. None of them are games I would have bought on my own. Even the people that steal them on purpose probably never would have bought them, they would have just not played them.

Last I heard Sony was doing very well. Are multiple profiles on one system really hurting them so much that the extra money it will bring them outweighs the frustrations of users, and people opting out of buying one due to it? In my case it is actually losing them money, because my GF won't be buying games under my profile, she'll probably just avoid the Vita and keep with her DSi since anything she buys would belong to me, or would require the hassle of changing cards, something I know she would rather just avoid than go through to play games. She likes to turn something on and have it ready to go.

Thanks for all the answers though. I don't expect my comments to affect anything, just voicing how I feel about it.

One more question now that I think of it - are games going to do like some DS games and only have one save slot? This would make it harder for even two people using the same profile to play.

Message 8 of 11 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
561 posts

Jan 25, 2012

Ok I can buy the idea that each persons would have an account and can ctrols it on the memstick... But a FACTORY RESET... EVERYTIME???

This needs a little thought. You can keep user data on a mem stick for each user, holding their themes, their games, music, vids whatever. Everything stays the same, and the games are tied to each user not the machine... I am with you so far. But what exectly is the point of needing to reset the whole machine? The games are on the cards a dn meta tagged for the purchasing account, so that should work. Why exactly do you need to burn the drive back to factory to change over?

I am at a loss as to this... I mean I don't tend to play my GF's games and she hates most of mine, so that is not a real concern for me. But I loves me my trophies and she is interested in keeping hers... But FACTORY RESET?

Ok still a little stunned by the concept. At three hundred bucks, this is alittle more of an investment then a regular gaming handheld, not a lot of people are going to buy more than one.

I do think some kind of family pass would be useful. Allow more than one account to access the machine at least.

Factory reset...

I am stymied...

I don't want her crazy Katamari trophies giving cooties to my account...What would the neighbors say.

Now I am off on punch drunk crazy talk.

Are we sure that she can't just log out my account and log in hers without ressetting... Is there a Sony source link for any of this?

Alacrity

AlacrityFitz Trophy Card
Message 9 of 11 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Jan 25, 2012

I can understand Sony doing this as an anti piracy measure but I think they could have simplified the process by just having to swap out the memory cards with each memory card holding the account/user data as well as games for each user. Having to do a full factory reset is beyond the point of riidiculous. I was hoping to have both a US account to download US games and demos as well as a UK one. I'm fine with having two separate memory cards to do this with each account's data and games on separate memory cards but having to do a full factory reset to use them is going to be impractical. It's even worse for those who want to use separate accounts and games but share one Vita. I realise the piracy issue on the PSP was pretty bad but these measures are really drastic.

Message 10 of 11 (193 Views)
0 Likes