First Son
9 posts

Re: Games are Overpriced in the PS store

Apr 16, 2013

No pakaging, no shipping cost. Alot of digital downloads are not a very good deal.

x-com defense   39.99   PSN store

x-com defense   29.99  new @ gamestop

There is no way server maintanace cost more than stamping out a disc packaging it shipping it to retailer and stocking it on the shelf.

Message 21 of 33 (273 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1073 posts

Apr 16, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

datteygatta wrote:

Just about every game is $5-$15 ABOVE retail value. I can get better prices at Gamestop, and every knows that

Gamestop is a ripoff. For certain titles I wouldn't mind, but there's hardly a selection.

I looked all over for DBZBT3 ( Dragon Ball Z Budokia Tenkaichi 3). Seeing as how DBZ game developers have trashed the series,

I wanted to purchase a DBZ game when Namco knew what it was doing, or DBZ HD for ps3. Neither are available in the store, and every substitutable title was too Overpriced .

I almost wanted to sell my ps3 altogether. 

Bring the Prices down 15-25%, and I may actually buy something instead of downloading demos.

Ah, the realization that gamer fallacy of "no physical product = lower prices" doesn't hold an ounce of water.

Just because the game is a download doesn't mean it was any less expensive to make. You're paying for the game, and not the format or delivery method. Futhermore as many of pointed out, because retail outlets COMPETE with each other for your dollars, they will offer better prices to get you in the store.

I know that it's easier to sit there and issue demands, however with no competition in their digital store front, you have very little power as a consumer. You either buy or you don't. If you put some EFFORT into finding the best price, you can save much more money than making demands that carry zero weight behind them.

Welcome to the reality of digital distribution. Get used to it.

oooooooh here we go. This kind again and their typical responses to a serious issue. That fact of the matter is bigger then what you're getting at. I know how OP feels and this is a serious problem for digital content on consoles. Why? Well if everything is trying to go digital and prices are not competing since they feel they don't need too, it will be less sales. Console gaming is for a reason, cost is cheap. Although with the digital content on consoles still stuck in 2006, it would just be easier for everyone to ditch console gaming and just go with PC gaming when Steam has constant sales and cheaper prices then 90% of other distrubutors. Digital is cheaper, not by much, but it is. There is no reason why it should be more than physical copies when steam proves the digital distribution world. I seriously hope when PS4 comes out Sony changes their store to a more reasonable competion or I'll just stick with physical console exclusives sales that I return full price at the store after completeing.

Message 22 of 33 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5700 posts

Apr 16, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

datteygatta wrote:

Just about every game is $5-$15 ABOVE retail value. I can get better prices at Gamestop, and every knows that

Gamestop is a ripoff. For certain titles I wouldn't mind, but there's hardly a selection.

I looked all over for DBZBT3 ( Dragon Ball Z Budokia Tenkaichi 3). Seeing as how DBZ game developers have trashed the series,

I wanted to purchase a DBZ game when Namco knew what it was doing, or DBZ HD for ps3. Neither are available in the store, and every substitutable title was too Overpriced .

Bring the Prices down 15-25%, and I may actually buy something instead of downloading demos.

Ah, the realization that gamer fallacy of "no physical product = lower prices" doesn't hold an ounce of water.

Just because the game is a download doesn't mean it was any less expensive to make. You're paying for the game, and not the format or delivery method. Futhermore as many of pointed out, because retail outlets COMPETE with each other for your dollars, they will offer better prices to get you in the store.

I know that it's easier to sit there and issue demands, however with no competition in their digital store front, you have very little power as a consumer. You either buy or you don't. If you put some EFFORT into finding the best price, you can save much more money than making demands that carry zero weight behind them.

I will boldly argue against that. Yes, video games are expensive and yes they deserve to cost a decent penny, but this I do not buy this argument. In some respects the digital sale will cost a bit more than expected due to the need to pay Sony to put a product on the store to begin with, but do not think for one second that digital costs the same as retail release because that is a pure joke.

Retail stores do not compete with each other mainly because most stores do not make profit off of game sales. Most games are bought and sold with little earnings to the actual store. So you may as why they do it? Well, most stores do it in an attempt to lure customers inside in hopes that they will buy something other than that game. Than the other major game retails such as Gamestop and EB who cannot rely on other sales make their money mainly through used sales and peripherals. NOT through brand new games.

Digital is much cheaper. There is no plastic case, no instructions and no costly blu-ray to accompany them. Digital should NOT cost the same as retail and if this is not true than we should go ask Steam to see how they manage to sell brand new games that just were released for discount prices.

Cheers, Brrnout

PS MVPs: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Proud to be an MVP and serving our community since June 2010
Message 23 of 33 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 16, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Honestly... 

If you want to save money when buying games.... get a PC and buy all your games on Steam.

I've bought Skyrim for $35 just a month after it released, among many other games that are HEAVILY discounted on a regular basis just a short time after its release.

Even Diablo 3.... retail stores STILL wouldn't lower the price near to what it was going on sale on Steam for just $9 6months after it released... Good thing I have a Toys R Us that price matches ANY online price, since I wanted a physical copy of it to give to my uncle for his B-Day.

YOU HAVE TO KNOW HOW AND WHERE TO SHOP.

For someone who acts like the vet of shopping, you give rather bad advise. And top it with false facts.

Diablo 3 on Steam? Nice fairy tale, no game from Blizzard is available on Steam.

And if someone really wants the best prices, they most often shouldn't purchase on Steam itself. Alternative shops that offer Steam keys frequently offer better prices. http://www.greenmangaming.com/ is a good example, with their constant 20% and 25% vouchers.

At least your final advise is correct, you just need to know where (and when) to shop. Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 33 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

Apr 16, 2013

yes some of the prices for games are high on the PS store, but they can't have sales on all the games at the same time 

they want to save those deals for the weekly blog posts

always shop around when buying games!

Message 25 of 33 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10011 posts

Apr 16, 2013

louie540 wrote:

I did feel slightly ripped off when I bought Warhawk for $30 last year then I found out that GameStop was selling it for under $5

wow i am surprised their still charging that much for a game that old

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 26 of 33 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
46 posts

Apr 16, 2013
I was dissapointed when I realized add-on dont get any cheaper. I got Fallout 3 for $4 at Gamstop. To buy all the add-ons I'd have to pay like $50. If I wanted to pay $50 for a game I wouldn't be buying $4 games y'know? Then PSOne games are too pricy for me. Looked like $15-$20 bucks for 15-20 year old games. It's a shame because they don't offer PSOne games on PS+ anymore and it doesn't seem like they're adding much PSOne or Two content these days. Wish I bought the backward compatible console now.
Message 27 of 33 (215 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28677 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Brrnout wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

datteygatta wrote:

I will boldly argue against that. Yes, video games are expensive and yes they deserve to cost a decent penny, but this I do not buy this argument. In some respects the digital sale will cost a bit more than expected due to the need to pay Sony to put a product on the store to begin with, but do not think for one second that digital costs the same as retail release because that is a pure joke.

(But again, who else are you going to buy a digital game from? You can't log on to any other download service on PSN. You want a digital game on your PS3, you buy it from the PSN Store, or you don't buy it)

Retail stores do not compete with each other mainly because most stores do not make profit off of game sales. Most games are bought and sold with little earnings to the actual store. So you may as why they do it? Well, most stores do it in an attempt to lure customers inside in hopes that they will buy something other than that game. Than the other major game retails such as Gamestop and EB who cannot rely on other sales make their money mainly through used sales and peripherals. NOT through brand new games.

(You actually explained my point for me. They are loss leaders to get you into the store, and they do indeed compete to get you to shop there. Wal Mart competes against Target. Best Buy against PC Richard. Toys R Us competes against... is that all there are these days in terms of retailers?? Anyway, because you have a choice, they are going to do whatever they can to get you into the store. I know that the gamer congnoscenit loves to throw around the word "competition", however they don't really know what it means at times)

Digital is much cheaper. There is no plastic case, no instructions and no costly blu-ray to accompany them. Digital should NOT cost the same as retail and if this is not true than we should go ask Steam to see how they manage to sell brand new games that just were released for discount prices.

(Again with the "Steam agrument". Listen, despite the belief that the gamer cognoscenti has that it takes "years for games to go down in price", it's simply not true. You can find deals at retail stores on relatively new games. The myth that you don't keeps you from looking in the first place. I picked up Black Ops 2 about three weeks after release for $40 at Best Buy. A "new game" for a discount??? But... but... but... they take YEARS to go down in price?!?! Don't they?! Well not if you actually put in the EFFORT to look and comparison shop. As I've always stated, the belief that gamers have had that "no physical product = savings passed on to the consumer" is a fallacy. They were never going to be swell guys and cut you a break. I just logged into Steam (I feel so dirty!) and I see that Far Cry 3 is currently $49.99. I check Amazon, and Far Cry 3 is currently $31.50 for PC. BUT?? BUT?? BUT?? Recent gamers are supposed to be cheaper?!? Aren't they?? Apparently not. Vale and Steam practice what's called "McDonaldization". They give you a lot of something at a cheap price, and they convince you you're getting "quality". Just because you buy a ten year old game that's not selling for $5, doesn't mean you're getting a good deal. What Steam can probably offer is a quicker break even point. That's it. However, competition in teh market place can and does often yield better prices than the accepted and gamer endorsed monopoly that Steam is. The IDEA that "digital is supposed to be cheaper" is pure folly, and it's been exposed as folly. The gamer logic myth needs to be put to rest)

Cheers, Brrnout

Message 28 of 33 (208 Views)
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Apr 17, 2013

Ghengis-Kahn wrote:

No pakaging, no shipping cost. Alot of digital downloads are not a very good deal.

x-com defense   39.99   PSN store

x-com defense   29.99  new @ gamestop

There is no way server maintanace cost more than stamping out a disc packaging it shipping it to retailer and stocking it on the shelf.

Have you ever seen the cost for maintenence of a server?  Believe me, it will change your philosophy.  I too had never thought that maintaining a server was costly at all, but then I saw a bill for maintaining the servers for a corporation I used to work for.  The things that many don't take into account are:

1: Cost of the physical space the servers take up.  The servers aren't a couple of desktops or laptops situated in the corner of someone's office.  The dedicated servers take up a LOT of space.  A LOT of it.  That space costs money.

2: Electricity costs.  Keeping servers running 24/7 actually costs quite a bit of money in terms of electricity.  Moreso than one would ever think.

3:  Cooling costs.  This kind of ties into the electricity costs, but servers typicaly run very, VERY hot.  The cooling that has to be maintained in order to keep them running efficiently is quite expensive.  

4:  Part maintenence.  Since servers use electrical parts to run, those parts need to be replaced every now and then in order to keep the servers running smoothly.  The maintenence of these parts (including the hourly costs for the technicians who have to work out problems, etc.) isn't free.

5:  Bandwidth.  Even for Sony, bandwidth isn't free.  There is a cost for the widespread distribution of all that data.  They don't just have a cost-free pipeline into the internet.

When you look at all the costs involved in a digital distribution method, you see that there really isn't a savings over physical media.  With physical media, the costs are all able to be budgeted for very easily.  Pressing the discs cost maybe a cent, if that, per disc that is pressed.  The packaging is all purchased in bulk, and the cost per physical copy produced is set.  From the get-go, if the developer knows they are producing 1,000,000 discs, they know exactly what the cost will be.

With digital distribution, the cost is not set in stone beforehand.  How much "stress" is put on the servers due to other game downloads will impact the "cost" to your one specific game.  Therefore, the digital distribution method introduces fluctuating costs with regards to game distribution.

The main reason why companies want to go digital isn't because of more profit on new games.  It's to kill off used game sales and allow them to get profit from EVERY person who plays their game.  No more rentals, no more borrowing from a friend, and no more purchasing a used copy.  If you want to play the game, you must give the developers money.

Just the way society is allowing the game industry to move.

Message 29 of 33 (179 Views)
First Son
9 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 17, 2013

You can budget for 1 million copies, however if you only sell 100,000 what does that do to your budget. You also have to eat up HD space to store the digital media and in some cases its hours faster to run to target and just purchase a hard copy.

there is a expense to keeping a server running but you surely are not going to only sell 10% of the product that you produced think with that aspect alone you will never over shoot your mark on stamping out blue rays. It may cost a penny a copy for the stamp but I still think blue ray disk are fairly expensive.

also over the last 5 years Hard drive space is 1/10 the price as it once was and 1/5 the size, meaning less space less heat less cooling for a server room.

There is also the fact that SONY owns the rights to a ton of movies and there own games so the fact that STEAM can sell a game 3 months after release for 25% of the original cost (As a 3rd party) does not bode well for sony in my eyes.

Message 30 of 33 (157 Views)
0 Likes