Highlighted
Jan 08 2013
By: W1Z4RDRY I Only Post Everything 891 posts

Gamer Fatigue?

16 replies 272 views Edited Jan 8, 2013
How often do you find yourself "burned out" and just not able to get your head into the game so to speak? You'll have some great games waiting to be played but you just can't motivate yourself to do it. That backlog stares at you from the shelf and XMB. There are games out you want to buy and more coming out soon but you can't put more than an hour in per day if you play at all. Fatigue? Getting old? I've been going through this for about 2 weeks now and it's odd because I've got some high quality games like Uncharted 3 and Farcry 3 that I've barely touched. Just can't get serious. Does or has this happened to you?
 photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 1 of 17 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Re: Gamer Fatigue?

Jan 8, 2013

after work i don't even want to play, on the weekends i would say 3 -4 hours in a row then i quit , restart a little a night play a couple games here n there

i don't have a pc i use ps3 browser
Message 2 of 17 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 8, 2013

@W1Z4RDRY Hello,everyone is different maybe you find them boring or there's something your not noticing that bothering you about uncharted 3 and FC3...I'm going use a example...Dishonored....when i first heard of dishonored i didn't think much of it, then i saw a short gameplay video and my thoughts changed fast...then the tales of dunwall came out and after wtaching them i couldn't wait for the game to be released...now i own dishonored but i can't play it more then an hour without getting board...i have no clue why.

Back to the topic. if i enjoy the game i beat fatigue easily...a few days ago i was playing skyrim i have a Level 63 mage...well i did a few quests...about 3 hours later i was tried...2 am and all i wanted to was sleep...but i couldn't i had to find out how that quest ended, I HAD to know what was going to happen next...how it was going to end...after another hour passed by, i was so close to Level 64...with the quest finished, i stayed up for 45 more mins to get my level before truning truning the system off...but if i was to run into another quest...i bet i would satyed up even longer.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 3 of 17 (258 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
46 posts

Jan 8, 2013

This has happened to me before but once or twice.. I remember a couple of months ago I felt this way and I did different things for like 3 or 4 days for example i went to a bar i've never been to before and just went out a lot on the weekend and i also drew a lot and went on the computer to do random stuff and all of a sudden I really wanted to get back into the game I was playing. Why? Maybe because I played it for so much in a short period of time but poured hours into it and then i just sort of missed it after a few days. Anyways, that's just me and what I experienced.

Message 4 of 17 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3862 posts

Jan 8, 2013

I'm in my 30's and have a kid so when I do find time I relish it. Maybe 5 hours a week tops. Most of the time I would rather just sit on the couch and watch tv and surf the web looking at news and what not. There have only been a few games in recent memory that really sucked me in when I first played them and I played them to completion in the past few years. Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, FFXIII and XIII 2, Fallout New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption. Ok so maybe that's quite a few but still. They're few and far between when it comes to games that make me want to just keep playing. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 17 (251 Views)
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Jan 8, 2013

Ghostwize wrote:

I'm in my 30's and have a kid so when I do find time I relish it. Maybe 5 hours a week tops. Most of the time I would rather just sit on the couch and watch tv and surf the web looking at news and what not. There have only been a few games in recent memory that really sucked me in when I first played them and I played them to completion in the past few years. Dragon's Dogma, Dark Souls, FFXIII and XIII 2, Fallout New Vegas, Red Dead Redemption. Ok so maybe that's quite a few but still. They're few and far between when it comes to games that make me want to just keep playing. Smiley Very Happy

Ghost we've got very similar taste in games. I think part of my problem is that I'm overwhelmed with too many games. All the stuff from PS+ and then spending half of 2012 playing MW3 instead of single player stuff which I've mainly always done except for the 9 years on and off of an MMORPG on the computer.

CoD really screwed up my gaming habits. All it took was a curious urge to go online and see how bad I would be but I left with a 1.56 k/d after 6 months which is above average (ooooh stealth brag lmao).

Message 6 of 17 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jan 8, 2013

i work between 6 to 8 months out of the year, even then i have lots of free time. and my hours are sporatic.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 17 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11299 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 8, 2013

Over the last 30 years of gaming, I have been burnt out on a few times. My situation is far different than most guys at my age and stage of life. I am married but my wife doesn't complain about my gaming. I have a job but I'm currently on Worker's Compensation for a work related injury (so I get paid for being home playing video games but trust me, it sounds far better than it is.) My only child lives with me and my wife (who is also her mother.) She's old enough to take care of herself mostly but I still try to help her with things when she lets me. So I have no job interruptions. No nagging wife. No noisy children needing constant supervision and no new baby to play with either.

Every couple of years I find myself in a bit of a gaming coma. I want to go back and finish a couple of games but just can't find the motivation to do so. There are a couple of games I want, but just can't really justify even paying $30 for the game. Half the time it's because I'm not even sure if I'll like the game even though my imaginary Playstation Friends all liked the game.

Whenever I find myself not feeling up to gaming, I take a short break and read a few books. Catch up on my tv episodes on Netflix. Or do some writing. Some times a change of genre helps too. I am primarily an RPG gamer. Eastern or Western, turn based or action. Don't entirely care for the Strategy based RPG but do have some I like. Games like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Mass Effect, Shin Megami Tensei series, and so forth. (Don't like Demons' Souls or Dark Souls though.) So if RPGs are letting me down a bit, I'll freshen it up with a good Action/Adventure game. Sometimes even an FPS (but not multiplayer.)

It sucks, but eventually it passes.

Message 8 of 17 (207 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Jan 8, 2013

As a seasonal worker I get the winter off pretty much so I also get paid to stay home and play games or do anything else. I've started reading The Hobbit just before New Year's Eve and my usual guitar practise, spending time with my lady but yeah games just aren't doing it right now. Hopefully this phase passes.

Thanks for feedback guys.

Message 9 of 17 (197 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29432 posts

Jan 8, 2013

There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing something else for a while. Your PS3 will be there when you get back. It's always good to have a variety of interets, that way you keep yourself stimulated and you don't over indulge.

Message 10 of 17 (182 Views)
0 Likes