Dec 13 2011
By: Demarcatus First Son 2 posts

Game crashes when connected to Internet

4 replies 136 views Edited Dec 13, 2011

As of now, I'm trying to play Modern Warfare 2, because I have discovered the joys of riot shield flash-knifing, but the PS3/the game isn't letting me. Whenever I start up the game, I make it about 2 seconds into the Infinity Ward logo and the screen turns black, after a few more seconds it returns to the XMB. No error messages or anything.

I've tried restarting my PS3 (numerous times), cleaning the disc, taking the disc in and out, etc. Didn't work.

I then found that when I'm disconnected from PSN (still connected to internet), I can start up the game and play like normal. Then I tried restarting the router, resetting it back to factory defaults, played around with the Internet Settings on the PS3 and the router, etc. Still doesn't work.

This only happens with COD4 and Modern Warfare 2, it doesn't happen with any other game I have (Portal 2, Disgaea, Skyrim, GoW3, Rock Band, etc).

How do I fix this?

Sorry if this has been posted already, couldn't find anything through the search.

Message 1 of 5 (136 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: Game crashes when connected to Internet

Dec 14, 2011

Nope, didn't work... I posted a Youtube video on this, by the way. Forgot to link it in my OP.

PS3 Patch 4.0: Call of Duty XMB Crashes

This only happened after I got the 4.0 patch, so it may have something to do with it.

Message 3 of 5 (136 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 1, 2012
Hi, Were you able to find a solution? I just bought MW2 and PS3 and It was working quite well when connected to internet and playing the campaign mode but when i open multiplayer, the game just crashes and PS3 restarts. I just did the normal update that is required to play multiplayer. Please let me know if there is a solution to this problem. Thanks
Message 4 of 5 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Aug 1, 2012
If it's immediately when the game starts, and only if you are connected, I'm guessing it's when the system tries to access the update servers.
Disable the Media Server Connection in network settings, see if that does anything.
Message 5 of 5 (94 Views)
0 Likes