Feb 24 2014
By: PaperCarrier Survivor 2641 posts

Game Trailers Show Me Nothing! Here's Why...

[ Edited ]
8 replies 225 views Edited Feb 24, 2014

What I mean by this is that if all I see is a series of very short clips of intense melee and firearms combat, explosions, crashing cars, short portions of cut scenes along with random music it tells me about actual gameplay or how we're supposed to experience to game ourselves. Sometimes it may see overwhelming or too complicated.  

About some games I've played that I've seen trailers from before, either the trailers made the game seem more interesting than it really was or some times it was the complete opposite where the trailer made it seem way too 'busy' and complicated but from actually playing it, it wasn't all that bad and was actually pretty fun. 

Watching a 'let's play' video on YouTube gives me a better idea on how a game looks or how it's played by watching someone else play through intead of just watching random bits and pieces of action thrown together.. 

What's your take on this? 

Edit: Updated subject title. -Super_Nova2k13

Message 1 of 9 (225 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Re: Game trailers show me nothing! Here's why.

Feb 24, 2014
2 things: read everything and watch everything about the game. Secondly you need to stop believing on reviewers every word they say like people are doing with MGS GZ. When you do that then you can go and make a choice in gaming.

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 2 of 9 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2641 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2014

darkforcegod wrote:
2 things: read everything and watch everything about the game. Secondly you need to stop believing on reviewers every word they say like people are doing with MGS GZ. When you do that then you can go and make a choice in gaming.

I was talking about the trailers or ads for the games and not reviews.  As for reviews, my decisions on getting games aren't entirely based on reviews but mostly to my tastes and sure reading up on it helps.  As for knowing more about a game and gameplay I like to refer to YouTube Let's Play videos. 

Message 3 of 9 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11776 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Game trailers aren't always the best source of insight into a game. In fact, they're not meant to be. As opposed to gameplay walkthroughs, a trailer is meant to introduce and entertain a viewer rather than lead them through the experience. Like movies, a trailer will set you up for the concept behind the story and fragments of where the character(s) are headed along whatever narrative path that will be followed.

A "Let's Play" or gameplay video walkthrough is more similar to a commentary track you'll find on your Blu-ray or DVD. The same as telling you about the movie, it shows you the movie at the same time. And similarly, when you're watching one of the games being played and commented on by someone else it will give you their impression about the game and whatever details they decide to let you in on. You're essentially watching the game being played as opposed to the collaborative elements a game trailer establishes to draw you in, whereas the "Let's Play" video demonstrates how the game functions... if that makes any sense.

Message 4 of 9 (196 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Feb 24, 2014

PaperCarrier wrote:

darkforcegod wrote:

I was talking about the trailers or ads for the games and not reviews.  As for reviews, my decisions on getting games aren't entirely based on reviews but mostly to my tastes and sure reading up on it helps.  As for knowing more about a game and gameplay I like to refer to YouTube Let's Play videos. 

I know what you meant.  Thats why I made those suggestions.  Trailers dont do it completly thats why I suggest you do those 2 things.  Everyone should do it.  

LifeStyle Ambassador Program.
My Youtube Channel. Subscribe here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4u4grBAukysjm2j8f44VLw
Message 5 of 9 (191 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
198 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2014

PaperCarrier wrote:

darkforcegod wrote:

Trailers are typically designed for one thing though -- to grab your attention long enough to get you to go look at a review or a Let's Play video.

Think of it like the back of a game box, but in full motion. Those 3 little pictures they put on the back of a game rarely ever give you an actual idea of gameplay, it's just ancillary stuff that looks cool enough to get you to dive in deeper.

As a non-gaming example, when you see a Nike ad where Lebron is dunking on someone, do you get ANY idea of how the shoes are going to feel on your feet or even how you are going to look in them? When you see a beer ad with hot chicks everywhere and everyone partying, do you get any real clue how the beer is going to taste or how it is different from any of the other **bleep** flavored watered down swill? 

Trailers are meant for one thing -- making you look. Sometimes they miss the mark and misrepresent a game either positively or negatively, but the hope is that they will get you interested enough to go look deeper in to it yourself.

Message 6 of 9 (184 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Feb 25, 2014

If you can see everything the game has to offer from a 3 min trailer. You probably don't want to play that game then.

Message 7 of 9 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1778 posts

Re: Game Trailers Show Me Nothing! Here's Why...

Feb 25, 2014

Game trailers, just like Movie trailers, are made with the best graphics, to make you want to see or buy either the movie or game. Remember the trailer for Dead Island, and everyone was like, WOW! That trailers was amazing! Then a lot of people bought the game and said the graphics weren't that great? Well I wasn't one. I liked the game and the difference between the trailer and in game graphics didn't bother me. I am glad they made a great trailer for Dead Island, then another for Dead Island; Riptide.

Message 8 of 9 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2641 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 25, 2014

tekkn1kal wrote:

PaperCarrier wrote:

darkforcegod wrote:

Trailers are typically designed for one thing though -- to grab your attention long enough to get you to go look at a review or a Let's Play video.

Think of it like the back of a game box, but in full motion. Those 3 little pictures they put on the back of a game rarely ever give you an actual idea of gameplay, it's just ancillary stuff that looks cool enough to get you to dive in deeper.

As a non-gaming example, when you see a Nike ad where Lebron is dunking on someone, do you get ANY idea of how the shoes are going to feel on your feet or even how you are going to look in them? When you see a beer ad with hot chicks everywhere and everyone partying, do you get any real clue how the beer is going to taste or how it is different from any of the other **bleep** flavored watered down swill? 

Trailers are meant for one thing -- making you look. Sometimes they miss the mark and misrepresent a game either positively or negatively, but the hope is that they will get you interested enough to go look deeper in to it yourself.

You pretty much had it there. Some trailers show no gameplay at all and you have no idea what the game looks like and what it's about, some show less appealing parts or the game, some show so much action and rapid moves that you have no idea WTH is even goin on or what kind of game it really is.

Message 9 of 9 (146 Views)
0 Likes