Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 08 2013
By: Cimarolo First Son 2 posts

Gainful Suggestion re: Trophies

4 replies 89 views Edited Apr 8, 2013

Hi Sony, big fan.  Long time member, first time poster.

My suggestion is, I think, easily implementable, and would be very well received - your consideration is appreciated.

Trophies, achievements - it doesn't matter what you call them.  They are meant to represent a level of accomplishment within a game.  Whether that accomplishment is finding an easter egg, completing the tutorial stage, or defeating a powerful hidden boss, a trophy is something you should be proud of, and be able to show off.

I suggest two changes, or enhancements, to the way we view our trophies that I believe would greatly improve the ability to take pride in them, and to show them off to friends.

The current trophy system includes prominently a percentage value next to any game viewed.  The first part of my suggestion is to simply remove this value from the display.  This is an important suggestion - while it is valuable to be able to see how close I might be to "accomplishing everything", the percentage value is inherently negative.  Any game you may have played or tried, and not spent the extra effort to accomplish every task, shows up as an unfinished task, rather than a short (though still possibly enjoyable) experience.  It's nice to be reminded of the various games I have tried - but not to be shown a figure stating how much I have yet to accomplish therein.

The second part of my concept is that a few (I'm thinking three) specific trophies be displayed next to each game.  By default, these might be the three most recently gained trophies - or if trophies could be organized according to a level of game completion, they could be the three 'most advanced' trophies gained in that game.  I would then suggest the option to allow players to replace any of these three default trophies with others they may have accomplished within that game.

The reason being that, with people such as myself collecting more and more games - perhaps we feel we don't have the time to spend accomplishing every tiny task in every game that we try, but we would still very much like to be able to take pride in, and show off those things we felt were worth our time.

So, perhaps I've played a game in which I thought one particular level was my favourite, and one particular weapon was my favourite to use - with the new proposed trophy system, I could select a trophy for clearing that favourite level, and a trophy that maybe shows I've fully upgraded my favourite weapon, and show them off among my top 3 accomplishments in that game.

In this way, a few months later when I'm looking through my trophies I am reminded what I really enjoyed about my gaming experiences - rather than what I failed to accomplish.

Thanks again for you attention - really looking forward to PS4.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 5 (89 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1011 posts

Re: Gainful Suggestion re: Trophies

Apr 8, 2013
Sony themselves rarely look at these discussion boards. What you should do is go to http://share.blog.us.playstation.com and post it there. Sony actually pays attention to that. If the idea gets enough votes it can get implemented.
My PSN
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 5 (83 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28655 posts

Apr 8, 2013

Welcome to the PlayStation Cmmunity.

Cimarolo wrote:

Hi Sony, big fan.  Long time member, first time poster.

My suggestion is, I think, easily implementable, and would be very well received - your consideration is appreciated.

Trophies, achievements - it doesn't matter what you call them.  They are meant to represent a level of accomplishment within a game.  Whether that accomplishment is finding an easter egg, completing the tutorial stage, or defeating a powerful hidden boss, a trophy is something you should be proud of, and be able to show off.

I suggest two changes, or enhancements, to the way we view our trophies that I believe would greatly improve the ability to take pride in them, and to show them off to friends.

The current trophy system includes prominently a percentage value next to any game viewed.  The first part of my suggestion is to simply remove this value from the display.  This is an important suggestion - while it is valuable to be able to see how close I might be to "accomplishing everything", the percentage value is inherently negative.  Any game you may have played or tried, and not spent the extra effort to accomplish every task, shows up as an unfinished task, rather than a short (though still possibly enjoyable) experience.  It's nice to be reminded of the various games I have tried - but not to be shown a figure stating how much I have yet to accomplish therein.

Just no with this one, it's been suggested soooo many times now it's just boring, so there are some games where we have 1% or 2% or even 0%, so what, it matters not, I'll still sleep tonight, as will you!

The second part of my concept is that a few (I'm thinking three) specific trophies be displayed next to each game.  By default, these might be the three most recently gained trophies - or if trophies could be organized according to a level of game completion, they could be the three 'most advanced' trophies gained in that game.  I would then suggest the option to allow players to replace any of these three default trophies with others they may have accomplished within that game.

The reason being that, with people such as myself collecting more and more games - perhaps we feel we don't have the time to spend accomplishing every tiny task in every game that we try, but we would still very much like to be able to take pride in, and show off those things we felt were worth our time.

So, perhaps I've played a game in which I thought one particular level was my favourite, and one particular weapon was my favourite to use - with the new proposed trophy system, I could select a trophy for clearing that favourite level, and a trophy that maybe shows I've fully upgraded my favourite weapon, and show them off among my top 3 accomplishments in that game.

This suggestion, although far far & away better than the first is not something that appeals to me personally, but I can see some people liking it & so it has some merit.

In this way, a few months later when I'm looking through my trophies I am reminded what I really enjoyed about my gaming experiences - rather than what I failed to accomplish.

Thanks again for you attention - really looking forward to PS4.

If you actuallly want to suggest something to Sony officially here is not the place, to do so is via the official Sony PS Blogshare website, here's the link for you.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

BRIT-KO

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 5 (77 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11034 posts

Apr 8, 2013
What happened to being able to display trophies in your space in Home?
R.I.P. Off-Topic
04/09/2014 - Never Forget
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 5 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
80 posts

Apr 8, 2013

Share it on the PS Blog. 

Killzone-Shadow-Fall-Edit
Please use plain text.