MVP Support
40037 posts

Re: Gaikai service's and storage

Jul 21, 2013

Shadelon wrote:

BRIT-KO wrote:

AJHH-82860711 wrote:

so if the Gaikai service is coming to the ps3 and ps4 does this mean that some how all the disc based games I own will some how be licenced to be already to play them from the cloud? or to i upload them to the cloud?

Gaikai is a streaming service for the PS4, not the PS3, at least I don't think it's for the PS3, the disc games you own will only be playable on the PS3, not the PS4, Gaikai will allow for some PS1/2/3 games to be streamed to the PS4.

BRIT-KO

It is in fact coming to PS3 as well, at the same time it rolls over for PS4. And it will ALSO roll out for Vita as well at a later date.

Thanks fot that, I wasn't sure.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 11 of 23 (151 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13615 posts

Jul 21, 2013
Either way, I highly doubt it will involve discs. I predict it'll be like Netflix.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 12 of 23 (150 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Jul 21, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:
Either way, I highly doubt it will involve discs. I predict it'll be like Netflix.

Pretty good comparison, though a better comparison would be OnLive, only Gaikai is supposed to be better.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Message 13 of 23 (147 Views)
MVP Support
13615 posts

Jul 21, 2013
True, but I just went with Netflix since more people are familiar with it
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 14 of 23 (144 Views)
MVP Support
18927 posts

Jul 21, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Nah, Gaikai strictly is a streaming service. Nevertheless, many of us have hope for SONY to find a way to credit ownership of games to end-users so we don't have to buy said again yet again. For example. I bought ICO & SoTC for PS2 & PS3. MGS games many times over, same thing for GOW games. If they ever do come up with such solution, I can see SONY requiring you to insert your disc on the system to obtain a one time discount of the digital-stream purchase.

With that said, we have to accept that backward compatibly, as we once knew it, no longer exist.  The PS4 architecture was a necessary change for the life of the PlayStation brand, a change I happily welcome with open arms.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 15 of 23 (133 Views)
MVP Support
10998 posts

Jul 21, 2013

AJHH-82860711 wrote:

so if the Gaikai service is coming to the ps3 and ps4 does this mean that some how all the disc based games I own will some how be licenced to be already to play them from the cloud? or to i upload them to the cloud?

It is doubtful, but possible.  As for how Gaikai is billed is a matter for speculation and rumor at this point.  Nothing has been confirmed aside from the fact that the PSN Store portions of Gaikai (being able to play demos without downloading anything and the ability to start playing purchased PS4 games before they finish downloading, which will be free) will be available on day one, while the legacy streaming (PS1/2/3 games on the PS3, PS4 and, eventually, the PS Vita) will roll out starting in early 2014.

It will most likely be monthly and/or annual subscription based (as this seems to be the favored method with Sony - PS+, Music Unlimited, Video Unlimited), which, while technically, you will be paying a small amount of cash for games you already own, you will also have access to games you don't already own, as well.

It is highly unlikely that it will be a per-title 'ala carte' service, as nothing is actually downloaded to your console, and as such, if the service were to be shut down, you would have nothing to show for your individual purchases.  Technically, a subscription based service would be like Netflix, but for video games.  You aren't really out anything if the service goes belly-up or you allow your subscription to lapse, since, ideally, you would be playing games while being a subscriber.  Same thing happens with Netflix.  If you stop subscribing, you can no longer stream movies from Netflix.

Message 16 of 23 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
485 posts

Jul 21, 2013

From what Sony has said the best idea I can say imagine Netflix but for Playstation games.  This is just base on assumptions.  

Message 17 of 23 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1799 posts

Jul 21, 2013

I was expecting this.. (Subscriptions)

I was thinking, how could this work on the PS4 without being done on the PS3 as well... 

Considering you are Streaming your PS3 to the PS4 for this to work... 

You would have to have it working on both, oO 

I never paid for Didgetal Gamming on the PS3, because I was expecting to have to Pay for it again on the PS4... 

This is why I don't do Didgetal... 

From what it sounds like, we'll need to pay a Subscription in order to bring our Games over to the PS4... 

Which is almost like buying them all over again, only in this case we only have them for as long as the 

service will last... 

Sony is going to spend so much time on this whole PS1, PS2, PS3 thing to PS4 through Streaming, & such, & such, or 

whatever... That I just kinda wander... 

Was it really worth all that time spent? When you could be working on your PS4 Titles all this time, @_@

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 18 of 23 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

Jul 21, 2013

Xuchilbara wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Nah, Gaikai strictly is a streaming service. Nevertheless, many of us have hope for SONY to find a way to credit ownership of games to end-users so we don't have to buy said again yet again. For example. I bought ICO & SoTC for PS2 & PS3. MGS games many times over, same thing for GOW games. If they ever do come up with such solution, I can see SONY requiring you to insert your disc on the system to obtain a one time discount of the digital-stream purchase.

With that said, we have to accept that backward compatibly, as we once knew it, no longer exist.  The PS4 architecture was a necessary change for the life of the PlayStation brand, a change I happily welcome with open arms.

I'd love it if they could come up with a way to make this work.

The only thing stopping them, is people who could just rent a game, get it cheap on digital, then return the game.

Or buy a game, get the digital version cheap, then return it to the store.

If they can some how offer this, while protecting themselves from exploits / scams / work-arounds, that would be great.

If not, oh well. I still own all my PS consoles to play older games.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 19 of 23 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3480 posts

Jul 21, 2013

I hope I will be able to stream Arkham Origins onto PS4. :/

Message 20 of 23 (84 Views)
0 Likes