PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: GPS

Nov 4, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I don't think anyone can give you a definate answer on that yet, but IMO GPS should still work. Also the specs for the US Vita suggests that the Wifi version will have GPS too...

The spec clearly state that the GPS is only on the 3G model. The main web page for the PSVita still has not been updated to show that, but there is another page with it on.

Yes, Incagneto already pointed that out to me.

Message 11 of 17 (7 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 4, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I understand that, but my understanding is that the 3G version (and most smartphones) don't actually have true (satellite based)GPS either. It is using the cell phone towers to triangulate a position, probably much cheaper than actually putting GPS antennas in the phone.

If it states GPS it should be actual GPS, what also happens is that some cellphones use aGPS (assisted GPS), what this means is that instead of waiting for the GPS signal itself to transmit the alamanac of where the satellites are it pull is from an internet source over the 3G signal, allowing for quicker, more accurate lockup of the signal and location.

What we need to see from the PSVita is does it use aGPS and can it do just GPS with out the assistance, can it get the alamanac from wifi?

I would like to use the GPS with out the 3G signal so i would like to know this as well.

I have to think that Sony is going to use the most economical solution for the GPS feature, which would just use the 3G antennas to triangulate locations...

Message 12 of 17 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Nov 4, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I have to think that Sony is going to use the most economical solution for the GPS feature, which would just use the 3G antennas to triangulate locations...

The most economical solution is just use the GPS signal for accurate positioning, and just wait for upto 12 minutes for an alamanac to download from the GPS satellites through the GPS signal, Triangulation from 3G antennas requires there to be at leats 3 overlapping signals for some sort of accuracy.

Message 13 of 17 (7 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 5, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

The most economical solution is just use the GPS signal for accurate positioning, and just wait for upto 12 minutes for an alamanac to download from the GPS satellites through the GPS signal, Triangulation from 3G antennas requires there to be at leats 3 overlapping signals for some sort of accuracy.

IMO that doesn't sound like the lowest cost solution, tying the GPS with the 3G chip and antennas does, what you said was called assisted GPS. Now that I think the GPS is part of the 3G feature, it does make sense to me why GPS was left out of the Wifi model.

I believe limitations on having a satellite antenna GPS system would be that it is too power draining and it wouldn't work well indoors...

Message 14 of 17 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Nov 5, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

CaptainHuggyface wrote: 

IMO that doesn't sound like the lowest cost solution, tying the GPS with the 3G chip and antennas does, what you said was called assisted GPS. Now that I think the GPS is part of the 3G feature, it does make sense to me why GPS was left out of the Wifi model.

I believe limitations on having a satellite antenna GPS system would be that it is too power draining and it wouldn't work well indoors...

How is it not a lower cost to get a free signal rather than tying it in with an expensive 3G signal like in aGPS. What I described above was not aGPS it was basic GPS, you get a free signal from the satellite, and as it is only recieving it does not require much power. And you get a free alamanac transfer from the satellite rather than paying 3G fees and using power on a 3G transmission. The only thing is it takes up to 12 minutes to get the alamanac as the GPS satellites only send it out that frequently (from what I remember), so lock up is not as qquick as aGPS (that can take less than a minute I think, but I have never used it).

I used to own a small AAA battery power reciever that I connected via Bluetooth to my cellphone phone (about 5 years ago), that thing would last allday it was the bluetooth that was responsible for much of the battery drain. teh trouble is one in every twenty times I used it the alamanac took the maximum time to be recieved.

I hope the GPS in the PSVita can be used in basic mode or at least with a wifi or 3G downloaded alamanac. but I am willing to wait for a lock.

Message 15 of 17 (7 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 5, 2011

CaptainHuggyface wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

CaptainHuggyface wrote: 

How is it not a lower cost to get a free signal rather than tying it in with an expensive 3G signal like in aGPS. What I described above was not aGPS it was basic GPS, you get a free signal from the satellite, and as it is only recieving it does not require much power. And you get a free alamanac transfer from the satellite rather than paying 3G fees and using power on a 3G transmission. The only thing is it takes up to 12 minutes to get the alamanac as the GPS satellites only send it out that frequently (from what I remember), so lock up is not as qquick as aGPS (that can take less than a minute I think, but I have never used it).

I used to own a small AAA battery power reciever that I connected via Bluetooth to my cellphone phone (about 5 years ago), that thing would last allday it was the bluetooth that was responsible for much of the battery drain. teh trouble is one in every twenty times I used it the alamanac took the maximum time to be recieved.

I hope the GPS in the PSVita can be used in basic mode or at least with a wifi or 3G downloaded alamanac. but I am willing to wait for a lock.

What I am talking about is the cost for Sony to implement, not for the consumer. Yes satellite based GPS is free, but there must have been a reason to include GPS only with the 3G version. To me it makes far more sense just to use the GPS technology to triangulate your position, than to build in a separate satellite based GPS technology. Since the GPS functionality in the Vita is used for social and gaming applications, it only makes sense to use it while online, which is why I believe the Wifi only Vita doesn't need it because GPS because it can use wifi location services to determine position.

This article explains how I think GPS in the Vita will operate: http://www.howstuffworks.com/gps-phone.htm

Like I said before satellite based GPS has the limitation of not working indoors, you need clear exposure of the sky for it to work the best. IMO this is counterintuitive since I believe the Vita will be used indoors most of the time...

Message 16 of 17 (7 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Nov 5, 2011

I believe the 3G/GPS version is meant for rural areas and travel where wifi points are few and far between, whereas the wifi only model is meant for urban/city scapes with lots of wifi spots.

With the GPS model as you travel about ducking in and out of wifi or even cellphone coverage it will log your route and then when you get to a place you can sync you will be told what gifts/chalenges you have picked up on the way, That would not be possible in a wifi poor area.

For the usual social networking side of things (facebook etc.) it does not matter what your location is, so the GPS will not be in use there. However when you use 'near' for seeing who is nearby for multiplayer linkups, gaming will not be over 3G anyway and you would switch to wifi. If you are able to recieve GPS (outside) signals then that could be used for your location, if not then hope your wifi access point (or others in range) are in the Skyhook database for a less accurate position (otherwise you loaction will not be known). Or if you are looking for ad-hoc multiplayer then I guess 'near' would be able to tell you who is nearby using either 3G or wifi to sync with servers, then you would move closer to them (if you both agree to ad-hoc linkup), but then you would have to change your wifi mode to actually link up in ad-hoc mode as the wifi signal can not do infrastructure and ad-hoc at the same time. You would loose connection to the 'near' servers on the wifi only model and any other infrastructure based service until you switch back again.

I think the GPS unit should have been put on both versions.

Message 17 of 17 (7 Views)
0 Likes